Found a buck bed.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Found a buck bed.

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:38 am

I was out retrieving my trail cams today, and looked around a little bit, I noticed some small rubs about a 1/3 of the way down off the ridge, so I went to check it out, and sure enough, a fresh bed laying right in front of this log. It even had hair in it, so I guess it might still be getting used.... I hope the pics show the rubs alright....

Here I am right behind the bed , looking downhill, where I suspect he goes out to the fields at dark to eat...

Found another rub, but no bed around it, just a rub line I believe.... Put my glove there to get an idea of size...

also had a nice surprise on my trail cam, this buck my cousin killed during the 9 day gun season, ended up like 167" gross.....

Z7WIBoy

Re: Found a buck bed.

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:43 am

Awesome pictures and that there is a SLOB :D
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 am

Nice!! That is a great buck!! Same day I killed my buck, 11-11-11. Man that day was smokin hot by me!! I have seen buck beds in hill country in the same general spot as your pics show!! Had 1 bed down like that 1/3 down a hillside by me at midday during the rut. He curled up like a dog and closed his eyes for a half hour until another buck came by. Then up he got and started grunting like he was all tough!! :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 am

Cool stuff. 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:07 am

Great find and that exactly where a hill country bed would be. I have found a few, but not with the fresh hair and rubs or i woulda hunted em! :)

Is that buck bed from the buck you suspect got killed?

What is the wind direction from coming over his back down the hill.... thats when he would use it I would think?

He can see well down the hill and smell anything coming from behind him and also use the thermals and thermal tunnel?

Nice find.
You can't kill em on the couch
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 am

Brandon wrote:Great find and that exactly where a hill country bed would be. I have found a few, but not with the fresh hair and rubs or i woulda hunted em! :)

Is that buck bed from the buck you suspect got killed?

What is the wind direction from coming over his back down the hill.... thats when he would use it I would think?

He can see well down the hill and smell anything coming from behind him and also use the thermals and thermal tunnel?

Nice find.

I doubt it's the bed from that buck on the trail cam..... This certain buck was spotted many times on a hill about a 1/2 mile away, and that is where he ended up getting shot on opening day of gun season, which was a week later of my trail cam pic.... Besides, the way it looks to me, the bed I found really looks fresh. I was VERY temped to leave one of my trail cams close to the bed to see what is using it, but I took them all home with me. Maybe I will go back and put one up there when I go do some more scouting....

Not sure about wind direction that day..... Which website is it again that you can look that up on past days ? This was a south facing slope, so ya, I'm wondering too if it was a North wind that day ? :?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:22 am

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks Zap.....

Well, I looked it up, and it says the wind was out of the S or SW that day... So, I don't know, that would not make sense then if we use the theory of them cruising on the opposite side of the hill of wind direction. But I know, they don't always follow the rules on that either. The deer on our land seem to be more on this south side anyway, we have to walk into our woods from the north side always, so maybe they like staying on the other side of the hill with less human traffic ? I don't know, just a thought...
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Look how far he can see
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

8-)
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Nice find!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 pm

dang! that buck is a digger!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 am

jlh42581 wrote:Look how far he can see

That's the problem with my land, its fairly steep hilly land, but only about 200 yards from the bottom to the top ridge. I feel like those bucks can sit up high by the ridge & watch me walk into the woods. Makes it tough to get in there without being detected by them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”