Scouting Trip 12-29-11

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Scouting Trip 12-29-11

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:15 am

I went out scouting this morning again before work, it was another productive trip. I went out to the same piece of public property that I did on 12-27. I picked out trees on beds I found before and I found 3 new beds and a couple iffy beds. I brought the camera with me this time so I took a lot of pictures. I will do this more often because I like to look back at this kind of stuff. It helps me remember. I was going to bring the video camera but mine is way to bulky and expensive to bring on scouting missions, I will have to invest in a new smaller camera for these types of outings. After the 2nd time ever specifically looking for buck beds...you could probably say I'm hooked. Its almost better than hunting... :? Here are the pictures I took, to walk you through my tromp out in the bush...

This is a new bed #1 I found, it is defiantly a bucks bed, decent size to it and it has rubs and broken branches in the bed itself. I overlooked this one the first trip out and walked right by it. It caught my eye this time. I think it is a 2 1/2 yr old buck that was using it. There are no huntable trees less than 100 yards from this bed, If I hunt it I will have to hunt from the ground somehow...

in the bed #1

another view in bed #1

these rubs are on a trail coming from bed #1 about 40-50 yards away...

Here is a bed #2 I found last scouting trip. This is either a 2 1/2 yr old or 3 1/2 yr old buck. There is one iffy tree about 50 yards away from this bed and It would have to be pretty windy to hunt this one. I would be sitting about 10 ft up just over the brush on the backside of the tree. Perfect location for a big buck. Ultimate cover and escape routes, very hard to get too.

This is the rub about 10 yards away from bed #2

This is bed #3, about 20 or 30 yards away from bed #2. This is a smaller deer.

rub by bed #3, there are also multiple others this size...

I came across this high hump and I'm thinking it is a possible deer bed. I found no hair in this bed and no rubs near it. There was a pile of coon crap in the middle of this possible bed...what do you guys think?

This is a new bed #4 I found in a very secluded spot on the public. GREAT location and this is bed has got me the most pumped. It is on the edge of cattails and really tall grass like 10-12ft tall. Perfect escape routes. I had a feeling looking at aerials that this spot was going to hold a buck and I went in and investigated. At first there was nothing and after a while of searching and looking around I started to find a lot of nice rubs real close together on the transition line, It took me a while but I finally found the bed. Hair still in it! Kneeling down in the bed he could see the whole private edge and some of the public where I would be coming from and perfect escape route in the tall grass behind him, which leads to more cattails. There is one tree big enough for a treestand but he would see me before I got to it. I would have to sit on the ground somewhere for this guy. I think this is a 3 1/2 yr old or older. :L:

rub by bed #4

rub by bed #4

rub by bed #4

This is bed #5. I found this one on the way out. This is an older deer I think atleast a 3 1/2 yr old. At first I didn't think it was a bed but after further investigation I found some hair and a nice rub about 5 yards from the bed that I almost passed up :doh: . I actually sat within 80-100 yards of this bed late October and didn't see a deer. There were some nice tracks though...might have been this buck. Very thick location, IMPOSSIBLE to get to without making noise, the buck relies on his nose and ears in this bed, can't see anything. Not sure how I'm going to hunt this one yet...

rubs by bed #5

Looking at my gps and Google Earth I already have 5 new stand locations for this piece of public. One more trip out there I will have my trees and locations picked out and I will be on too the next chunk. If I scout out 5-10 pieces, I will be in good shape come bow season ;) ...pumped.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Scouting Trip 12-29-11

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 am

Great scout. I sure love scouting too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:08 am

you may get to use Dan's "stacking" method to hunt that buck if you don't think you can get close enough to him.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 am

wow nice good scouting ....im going out in the mourning to scout ...im going to try an all day scouting mission 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 am

nice trip curtis, you've got me pumped to get out this weekend!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Good luck to you guys. Bighunt bring the video camera, I like your vids. I might go in the morning if I can wake my but up.. :shifty:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”