Primary buck beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Primary buck beds

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm

dan wrote:I will have to look at this at home... your Images are blocked at work. With Marios hunt, they were bedding on the point, I think that was his opening day hunt? The point though, was in cattails, and in water. Bedding beyond that point would be bedding in water. The bucks there are bedding on humps bout of the water and around the bases of trees. Hard ground points are different... That actually brings up a topic I really don't think we ever went into depth on, the differences of points.
If you were watching closely, on a hunt a few days after that one, he did not get a big ten that was bedding off the point (dry land) in the swamp at the 1st transition (wet) cause he set up to close and the buck used the wind to come into the point and busted him. On both hunts he needed to be just a little bit further back... He was only 15 / 20 yards off on his set up.... Next time.

I think i would like to understand a little more about the diffrences in points you are talking about. Could be something im not thinking about, and missing some places im over looking. What is it im missing? Hoping its the duh moment i need :P

Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:I will have to look at this at home... your Images are blocked at work. With Marios hunt, they were bedding on the point, I think that was his opening day hunt? The point though, was in cattails, and in water. Bedding beyond that point would be bedding in water. The bucks there are bedding on humps bout of the water and around the bases of trees. Hard ground points are different... That actually brings up a topic I really don't think we ever went into depth on, the differences of points.
If you were watching closely, on a hunt a few days after that one, he did not get a big ten that was bedding off the point (dry land) in the swamp at the 1st transition (wet) cause he set up to close and the buck used the wind to come into the point and busted him. On both hunts he needed to be just a little bit further back... He was only 15 / 20 yards off on his set up.... Next time.

I think i would like to understand a little more about the diffrences in points you are talking about. Could be something im not thinking about, and missing some places im over looking. What is it im missing? Hoping its the duh moment i need :P

Maybe thinking of it from the extreme differences would help....

If you have a wooded point jutting out into a bean field, there going to bed on the point.

If you have a wooded point jutting out into a cattail marsh with standing water and isolated clumps of thick brush or trees with dry humps sticking up out of the water under the bushes, there bedding off the point...

When you think of good escape cover... Which of those two would be better? But in a lot of cases like maybe a farming area, the wooded points in fields might be the best cover and hold the best bucks, but an area with both, is going to put the best bucks on the points with the better bedding, better escape.
Archery9069

Unread postby Archery9069 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:06 am

Hey Dan is there anyway you can circle what your talking about on his photo so I can get a better idea of exactly what your talking about ?
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 pm

dan wrote:
UofLbowhunter wrote:

Maybe thinking of it from the extreme differences would help....

If you have a wooded point jutting out into a bean field, there going to bed on the point.

If you have a wooded point jutting out into a cattail marsh with standing water and isolated clumps of thick brush or trees with dry humps sticking up out of the water under the bushes, there bedding off the point...

When you think of good escape cover... Which of those two would be better? But in a lot of cases like maybe a farming area, the wooded points in fields might be the best cover and hold the best bucks, but an area with both, is going to put the best bucks on the points with the better bedding, better escape.

8-)
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 am

dan wrote:Your pics are real small and hard to see....

Are you looking at just the thumbnails in the posts where I'm quoted? Maybe I screwed up the upload and it only works for me but when I look at my original post I'm able to click the thumbnails and expand to a large image.

dan wrote:But, 1st place I would look based on what I can see is that little finger strait south from your yellow measure line across the cattails. I would bet the mouth of that where it enters the woods is a great spot if it has not been molested. Im sure there is spots around that peninsala too, but I would start on the 1st marsh woods transition before walking past it.

Awesome, thank you. I had looked right past that. I'll give that a hunt or two.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 am

Archery9069 wrote:Hey Dan is there anyway you can circle what your talking about on his photo so I can get a better idea of exactly what your talking about ?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:52 am

Ognennyy wrote:

Are you looking at just the thumbnails in the posts where I'm quoted? Maybe I screwed up the upload and it only works for me but when I look at my original post I'm able to click the thumbnails and expand to a large image.

dan wrote:But, 1st place I would look based on what I can see is that little finger strait south from your yellow measure line across the cattails. I would bet the mouth of that where it enters the woods is a great spot if it has not been molested. Im sure there is spots around that peninsala too, but I would start on the 1st marsh woods transition before walking past it.

I must have been blocked from opening the images at work, I was able to expand here...
Archery9069

Unread postby Archery9069 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:53 am

Thanks Dan now I completely understand now . I finally got the lone wolf stand and sticks and I’m very impressed with this set up ! Must say they put a lot of thought when they made this stand and sticks super light and perfect for running and gunning !
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:52 am

dan wrote:
Archery9069 wrote:Hey Dan is there anyway you can circle what your talking about on his photo so I can get a better idea of exactly what your talking about ?

OK Dan, I have a question about this one. Assume you have bedding on the points you marked as well as on the peninsula archery9069 was asking about. Say you get some variation of a south wind. Would you stage hunt your way back through the beds, hitting the ones closest to your access first? Or would you dive right in on what you thought was the best one?

I know there are tons of variables and it's not a cut and dry answer. I think about situations like this a lot for out of state or traveling hunts. I could waste multiple days stage hunting an area and still be wrong. Or dive right in and chance blowing it right off the bat. Both could work or fail in the right situation. How do you break it down?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
dan wrote:

OK Dan, I have a question about this one. Assume you have bedding on the points you marked as well as on the peninsula archery9069 was asking about. Say you get some variation of a south wind. Would you stage hunt your way back through the beds, hitting the ones closest to your access first? Or would you dive right in on what you thought was the best one?

I know there are tons of variables and it's not a cut and dry answer. I think about situations like this a lot for out of state or traveling hunts. I could waste multiple days stage hunting an area and still be wrong. Or dive right in and chance blowing it right off the bat. Both could work or fail in the right situation. How do you break it down?

If you limit mt to one hunt Im going with the odds and the sign... If im hunting both, Im hunting the one closest to access 1st.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm

dan wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:

I must have been blocked from opening the images at work, I was able to expand here...

Much appreciated.
jhenrich

Unread postby jhenrich » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 am

bump
Ohiodiyhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/tyler.d.duffy

Unread postby Ohiodiyhunter » Fri May 03, 2019 9:49 am

dan wrote:I wanted to discuss primary buck bedding... When I think back to all the buck beds I have hunted for the last 3 decades there are some that pan out every now and then, and those that have really been good to me. Some of that is obviously in how well you can set up on the bed, but the most important thing is that the bed is used enough to increase your odds when you sit it...
So when I think back to those beds that really produced over and over, the the main thing that comes to mind is that its not just one bed in most of the spots. Most of the primary bedding areas I hunt have 5 or 10 beds in a small area from 20 square feet to a 1/4 acre... I suspect the differing beds might be because they move with different wind directions. I know that to be the case in some instances where I have observed it.
In the few cases where a single bed was a primary bed you could tell it was getting used heavy. Worn to the dirt, and recessed into the ground.
Another trait of a primary bed is its usually in a great spot for the deers advantage. Some of the best ones I know are right near where there is heavy human pressure but they over look this particular spot.
Sitting in a tree yesterday hoping for a buck to come out of a primary bed, I got to really thinking back about the particular marsh I was hunting. I have hunted hundreds of bedding areas over and over, but when I think back most have had random action, but a few have produced almost every year despite me only hunting them 1 to 3 times a year.
The spot I was sitting I could remember a dozen big buck encounters... But other spots I sit just as often I could remember one or two, and they were usually specific to a certain time of the year....
I shot my biggest buck in a lone primary bed which as I said above is the exception. But even with that being a single bed I seen another big buck bed in that same exact bed on a different occasion.

Non-primary buck beds are often only used when a certain food source is available, or at a certain time of year. Non-primary beds seem to cough up more young bucks than the primary's... But I do see young bucks in the primary beds too.

Clear as mud?

Will a buck leave his summer bed to a fall bed rut ect
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 am

Ohiodiyhunter wrote:
dan wrote:I wanted to discuss primary buck bedding... When I think back to all the buck beds I have hunted for the last 3 decades there are some that pan out every now and then, and those that have really been good to me. Some of that is obviously in how well you can set up on the bed, but the most important thing is that the bed is used enough to increase your odds when you sit it...
So when I think back to those beds that really produced over and over, the the main thing that comes to mind is that its not just one bed in most of the spots. Most of the primary bedding areas I hunt have 5 or 10 beds in a small area from 20 square feet to a 1/4 acre... I suspect the differing beds might be because they move with different wind directions. I know that to be the case in some instances where I have observed it.
In the few cases where a single bed was a primary bed you could tell it was getting used heavy. Worn to the dirt, and recessed into the ground.
Another trait of a primary bed is its usually in a great spot for the deers advantage. Some of the best ones I know are right near where there is heavy human pressure but they over look this particular spot.
Sitting in a tree yesterday hoping for a buck to come out of a primary bed, I got to really thinking back about the particular marsh I was hunting. I have hunted hundreds of bedding areas over and over, but when I think back most have had random action, but a few have produced almost every year despite me only hunting them 1 to 3 times a year.
The spot I was sitting I could remember a dozen big buck encounters... But other spots I sit just as often I could remember one or two, and they were usually specific to a certain time of the year....
I shot my biggest buck in a lone primary bed which as I said above is the exception. But even with that being a single bed I seen another big buck bed in that same exact bed on a different occasion.

Non-primary buck beds are often only used when a certain food source is available, or at a certain time of year. Non-primary beds seem to cough up more young bucks than the primary's... But I do see young bucks in the primary beds too.

Clear as mud?

Yes, they move around a lot based on a variety of reasons. Its our job as hunters to make a reasonable guess where he is bedding based on clues.
Ohiodiyhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/tyler.d.duffy

Unread postby Ohiodiyhunter » Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 am

Ohiodiyhunter wrote:

Clear as mud?

Was asking because I plan to scout few properties but didnt know If finding a bed in summer would would matter if he changes for summer

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”