Snowless post season scout

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Snowless post season scout

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:40 pm

I am feeling a bit lost here- our deer season ended tuesday and my favorite time to scout is here...but we have no snow (and hadnt all season)......at a loss....to keep me from overthinking a good time to be in the woods; Anyone ever scouted farm county without snow following the season? If so, how did you approach it?

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BigHunt

Re: Snowless post season scout

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:10 pm

gjs4 wrote:I am feeling a bit lost here- our deer season ended tuesday and my favorite time to scout is here...but we have no snow (and hadnt all season)......at a loss....to keep me from overthinking a good time to be in the woods; Anyone ever scouted farm county without snow following the season? If so, how did you approach it?

i wouldnt let it stop you .....all the good sing from this past season is very visibal right know....hair, tracks , beds...

i would be hard at it if i was you

im going scouting tommarow ;) ...agin 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Great time of the year to see sign. Trails are very prevalent this time of year. look for crop fields and back track the deer movement until you find the bedding areas. Look for buck sign back in the bush. What you are looking for is deer sign so you can pattern the movement. Good luck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

No snow is how I do most of my scouting. That way no one can scout you. ;-)
As mentioned most of the trails are worn down and easy to find and follow. The rubs and bedding will be easy to see once you start following the trails back. Bad part about now (after season)if there is snow most of the deer herd up and are on a winter feed pattern which is usually when your not hunting them so the info you get from the snow is a late season pattern. Follow the sign that is from when you want to hunt them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Between the flu, for me & the daughter, and Christmas I havent been able to make it out... but great points guys

Never thought of the no sign left behind aspect JRM either
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm

It's not post season for me yet.
No snow = suckity suckity suckville! :cry:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am

JRM6868 wrote:No snow is how I do most of my scouting. That way no one can scout you. ;-)
As mentioned most of the trails are worn down and easy to find and follow. The rubs and bedding will be easy to see once you start following the trails back. Bad part about now (after season)if there is snow most of the deer herd up and are on a winter feed pattern which is usually when your not hunting them so the info you get from the snow is a late season pattern. Follow the sign that is from when you want to hunt them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2
I would add that my general approach to most flat farm land is to grid search scout the property. I don't walk every inch, but I do like to look at any piece of cover that could hide a buck. I am often pleasently surprised to find where a mature buck is hiding right under everybodys nose in a tree line or some other spot that generally gets over looked.
The main thing I am looking for is bedding, doe and buck. The rest is easy, you can see funnels and food very easy... Find the beds, thats whats important to me. Big bucks don't often move far in daylight, and when bucks do move in daylight, it usually revolves around doe bedding or travel. In deer hunting, everything has to do with bedding... What there doing in late season in the snow ain't going to help you near as much as what you can see without snow right now scaring the lanscape from the last couple months... I am hoping it don't snow at all this year!
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:49 pm

I hear ya Dan with the no snow! Its supposed to tonight though :cry: .
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Czabs wrote:I hear ya Dan with the no snow! Its supposed to tonight though :cry: .

It was raining on my way to work at 4am

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”