Scouted Public Marsh 12/12/11

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Scouted Public Marsh 12/12/11

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Ooooooo no its not this is close to hwy 41

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Good sign you found. I was scouting the bog last spring, just walking through the cattails on a deer trail, minding my own business and I suddenly plunged through a hole. Ended up in ice cold water/muck above my belly button! The scary part was my feet never hit bottom! That really wakes you up when it is 35 to 40 degrees out:)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Good sign you found. I was scouting the bog last spring, just walking through the cattails on a deer trail, minding my own business and I suddenly plunged through a hole. Ended up in ice cold water/muck above my belly button! The scary part was my feet never hit bottom! That really wakes you up when it is 35 to 40 degrees out:)

:shock: :shock: :shock: ya man i new to marsh hunting and that scares me .......last winter i freind and i was scouting the bog and we were trying to get out to that island in the cattails and i broke through the ice and my leg got soaked luckly i grabbed the cattails and stayed up........to day a i walked from cattail island to cattail island the ground was waving up and down like a blanket of water :shock: ver scary .......there was a hole in the middle of this island i broke the ice and poked a sick through that was longer then me and it didnt touch the bottem :shock:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Its a neat area, not a lot of easy paths to get deep into that area, LOTS of security cover. Gotta be some giants in there.

ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Man I've got an itch now..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:09 pm

It sounds like you guys are walking around on waterbeds out there!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:It sounds like you guys are walking around on waterbeds out there!

Floating cattail bogs!! I try to avoid them if I can. They can be quite scary and you could disapear in one of them if you break through in the wrong spot.:shock: If the cattails ahead of you are waving up and down you best back out and try a different route.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 am

I've been through the bog a few times, alwasy wakes you up that is for sure. A couple of times through the ice, those are generally worse because it feels alittle more sudden then stepping into a hole. Like Dewey said when things are waving in front of you its time to find another way in or out. One time i found myself taking a "short cut" jumping from tiny bog island to tiny bog island, that didn't end well for me and I ended up back tracking and taking the long way out.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:15 am

headgear wrote:I've been through the bog a few times, alwasy wakes you up that is for sure. A couple of times through the ice, those are generally worse because it feels alittle more sudden then stepping into a hole. Like Dewey said when things are waving in front of you its time to find another way in or out. One time i found myself taking a "short cut" jumping from tiny bog island to tiny bog island, that didn't end well for me and I ended up back tracking and taking the long way out.

man dont scare me out of this .......thats cool more bucks for you guys ......ya right im going to hit head on baby bring it on ..ill propbly eat my words but you have to live and learn right
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
adrenalin
500 Club

Re: scouted public marsh 12/12/11

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:34 am

BigHunt wrote:ya i know .......what do you use for nee boots or hip waders

Looks like you found some good beds. I scout with hip boots and try to hunt with knee boots if I can. Most of the time I can get to my spots without going over my knee boots in daylight, but on the way out most of the time I'm pretty wet by the time I get back to the truck. I try not to get wet when I'm scouting or hunting in cold weather. I use lacrosse knee boots and if I think I'm gonna go over I cinch the boots tight and it will keep your feet dry for a few seconds under water. The 2 second Rule :)
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:59 am

Good finds
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:39 am

It's only intimidating leaving at night when you're unsure of where you're going cause everything looks the same and adding the sinking doesn't help. I haven't fallen in yet. I always have extra socks and boots in my vehicle for the drive home. You'll learn as you go.
BigHunt

Re: scouted public marsh 12/12/11

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am

adrenalin wrote:
BigHunt wrote:ya i know .......what do you use for nee boots or hip waders

Looks like you found some good beds. I scout with hip boots and try to hunt with knee boots if I can. Most of the time I can get to my spots without going over my knee boots in daylight, but on the way out most of the time I'm pretty wet by the time I get back to the truck. I try not to get wet when I'm scouting or hunting in cold weather. I use lacrosse knee boots and if I think I'm gonna go over I cinch the boots tight and it will keep your feet dry for a few seconds under water. The 2 second Rule :)

It's only intimidating leaving at night when you're unsure of where you're going cause everything looks the same and adding the sinking doesn't help. I haven't fallen in yet. I always have extra socks and boots in my vehicle for the drive home. You'll learn as you go

thanks for the tips ..im going to get some hip waders and hip boots to be on the safe side ....i have plenty of nee boots
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”