Shining Tactics

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Shining Tactics

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:04 am

First, please state what your state laws are if no one else has.

In pa, you cannot shine during the firearms season. Prior too and after you must stop by 11pm.

Ok... on to the good stuff. A few questions.

1: How far do you travel when shining, whats the average length of a trip?
2: Do you vary your times like dan does in the videos?
3: Do you shine areas that have no possible access for you to hunt? Why? I do, because I like to see deer but really time better spent elsewhere.
4: What do you consider the area that you will shine around where you hope to hunt, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10? How far out can you expect to see one you can kill?
5: If youre planning an out of state hunt would you travel there simply to shine if they allow it?
6: Have you ever shined on foot by locating remote areas and hitting it with something like a predator light?

BigHunt

Re: Shining Tactics

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 am

in wisconsin i beleive that we can shine all hours of the night up to sep 15th , then we can only shine from sundown to 10:00pm at night then after like jan 1 or 8 im not sure on that date then it goes back to shinningall night agin

In pa, you cannot shine during the firearms season. Prior too and after you must stop by 11pm.
i also beileve we CAN shine during gun hunting up to 10 pm

i travel as much as i need to im not shinning for the fun of it i do it for the scouting part and information part of it ....some of the proportys i hunt are 10 to 20 miles away so some times its a long haul...when i go over to my cabin in western wis then around there ill shine about 2-3 hour a night split up into sections ...ill go out right after dark to see what moving near what beds...then ill go out and hour or two later and shine agin ..and repeted.... i try to end around 2-3 am in the mouring before the sep 15 dead line. but in season , i shine two times a night and make it strech to the 10 pm time limit
yes

3: Do you shine areas that have no possible access for you to hunt? Why? I do, because I like to see deer but really time better spent elsewhere.
no i shine for a purpose now ..i used to do that when i was real young when i first strated hunting

4: What do you consider the area that you will shine around where you hope to hunt, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10? How far out can you expect to see one you can kill?
i would say it verys ....

5: If youre planning an out of state hunt would you travel there simply to shine if they allow it?
no i dont hunt out of state dont make enough money but im saving for it ...i would wait to get there then start shinning if the law allowed it too...

6: Have you ever shined on foot by locating remote areas and hitting it with something like a predator light
NO
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 am

Anyone else?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:29 am

jlh42581 wrote:Anyone else?

:? i guess not..i cant be the only that shines
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am

I quit shining once I had kids, more important things to do and even though it's legal here in Iowa (so long as you don't have a weapon in the vehicle) I sort of feel like a poacher simply by waving a big spotlight out my window. Also, landowners generally HATE it when you shine their properties in my experiences.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 am

As stated by Bighunt all night till early September, then only till 10PM. But there is one county ( Buffalo county ) that its outlawed in, and some townships. So its up to us to know the police law as well as the DNR law.

That verys if I am trying to see a specific buck, or trying to locate target bucks in general. I might drive by a lot of public spots, or maybe just one, or a few.

I do exactly what Dan does :lol:

3: Do you shine areas that have no possible access for you to hunt? Why?

Yes, I sometimes shine the block ajacent to the one I can hunt to see if the buck is over there, has crossed the road, or might be bedding where I can't hunt. Knowing he is bedding currently where I can't hunt is almost as important as knowing he is bedding where I can.

The next road over...

Yes, drove as far as 10 hours once just to shine for the weekend.

6: Have you ever shined on foot by locating remote areas and hitting it with something like a predator light?
Yes, but not much... Those dang portable lights break a lot, and moving on foot takes a lot of time and seems to spook more. I believe you can shine in Buffalo county on your own land, so this might be an option there.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 am

:lol: :lol: There are actually tactics for shining??? Sorry but I have to :lol: :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 am

Ive been at it awhile but I never quite looked at it like dan does till I saw the videos. I argued often with people about why go to an area that there is ZERO chance of accessing anything around but most just like to see deer.

Any way I can refine this game Im gonna look into because I should be way more successful than I am.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:05 pm

the only thing you can shine around here is walleyes...go out on a pier or a bridge, especially during the april spawning run, and its like a wave of marbles...there is really nothing that turns up when shining the fields..i think alot of deer do not venture out into the fields where there are alot of swamps.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

In Nebraska, one can shine at anytime of the night at anytime of the year as long as you don't have a weapon with you (not even a bow in a case in the trunk).

I have never shined before, but I want to give it a shot on a few smaller public spots that I hunt. I am hoping to catch a large buck in an adjacent field just after dark so I can inventory the property and hunt smarter.
"In the deed, the glory"
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am

jakedeaver wrote:In Nebraska, one can shine at anytime of the night at anytime of the year as long as you don't have a weapon with you (not even a bow in a case in the trunk).

I have never shined before, but I want to give it a shot on a few smaller public spots that I hunt. I am hoping to catch a large buck in an adjacent field just after dark so I can inventory the property and hunt smarter.

know your thinking ;) ....dude i love shinning have you checked out any of my vids
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 am

BigHunt wrote:
jakedeaver wrote:In Nebraska, one can shine at anytime of the night at anytime of the year as long as you don't have a weapon with you (not even a bow in a case in the trunk).

know your thinking ;) ....dude i love shinning have you checked out any of my vids

youtube videos? I saw your buck bedding video.
"In the deed, the glory"
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

jakedeaver wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

youtube videos? I saw your buck bedding video.

no shinning vids on the beast ..if you want i could pm you the links so you can check them out
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:22 am

Bighunt..... put up the links for all of us, your vids are cool....

How much gas money do you go through shining ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:31 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Bighunt..... put up the links for all of us, your vids are cool....

How much gas money do you go through shining ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cool or funny .......i think there funny i dont relize how excited it get sometimes :oops: :lol:

I go through allot of gas especially in July and august ...im shinning all night ....... but now that season is pretty much over I do little shinning and focused more on foot scouting

heres two of many threads on my shinnings
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10505&hilit=+went+out+shinning

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10097&hilit=+went+out+shinning
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”