Shining Tactics

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Shining Tactics

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 am

Went out last night first time since rifle season ended. Anywhere that had standing beans or corn was piled full of deer. Theres a spot down the road Ive been eying up that is a swamp bordered by ag and a large stream. It had 10 in it, two were laying less than 30 yards from a house front door lol.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:46 am

i love shining but havent done so in a while, i didnt get a chance to this year, i cant find my light :lol: last year i think i got out once and not even sure bout that.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:01 am

I have the same laws as Dan,

My best tip is to shine all summer because it really gives you a good look at deer that other hunters dont know about

And my second best tip is to shine late season and right after gun. You will be surprised what you see in the corn fields
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 am

here is a tactic that didn't work:
I was shining one night and pulled over to allow a car to pass. It was a cop. He was a jerk! He kept asking me all these stupid questions about what I was doing. I told him that I was shining deer and pulled over out of courtesy. He then wanted to search my truck for weapons. I told him that I had nothing to hide so have at it. He tore my truck apart! I mean he tore everything out from behind and under my seat. When he was done I told him what I thought of him and that I would never allow a search without a warrant in the future. I also told him next time he will have to go around me because I was all done being nice.
I know law enforcement has a job to do but come on. My wife and I are going to shine and shoot deer on a county road? A total teardown was necessary?
I don't shine anymore.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:12 pm

bump
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Wi Laws

I don't pay too much attention to time when I shine..I just go when I can go, but some of the biggest deer I've seen were between 1-3am

New area i'm shining I will shine just around in the fields closest to the public land or property I'm hunting, otherwise I will search a whole area if Im after a particular animal to see if he is bedding somewhere else, like Dan stated.

Also, like TC stated. Shining late season helps, especially if you want to find some antlers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”