question for GPS users

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

question for GPS users

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 am

How do you name your waypoints? I was labeling them "Hunt tree" and "hunt tree2" but with so many I have a difficult time remembering which is what.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: question for GPS users

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 am

I try to use something unique to the area, tree, etc. It still sucks typing in all thos characters, though. I once had a stand named deer toe, becuase I found a deer's toe, next to the tree. I find it easier to remember the the area and stand if they are something other than a number. I name all my stands so I can keep track of them in my journal, as well is in my GPS.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:20 am

I do it the same as Black Squirrel, but would like to add it's a good idea to bring a pocket note pad and pen with you so that you can write down all the details for each way point. Not only because it is easy to forget a few thing's after marathon scouting trips, but also because you can enter more way points than you normally would in order to keep track of the minor details that would take forever to repeatedly type into each way point. Just mark a spot and quickly write down the way point number and details. You can get quicker, better details on your most important spots as well. You can spend more time scouting and less time typing too.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm

I have battled this same thing over the years .Struggling to remember names and rechanging points (rub 1 ,rub 2 etc.)I finally came up with a system that I,m satisfied with.
For example ,say your 2 favorite hunting areas are called,let,s say THE DOGWOODS and THE PINES.I always set my first waypoint as where I am hunting, which would nomally be your parking spot to hunt that area.And don't label the remainder of waypoints,only numericly.The lengthy information on them keep in a small notepad.
Your GPS should look like this. Your notebook like this

1-1 THE DOGWOODS 1-1 THE DOGWOODS
1-2 1-2 buck bed hunt with N wind
1-3 1-3 scrape line by waterhole
1-4 1-4 tree to hunt 1-2 buck bed
2-1 THE PINES
2-2 *in my notebook I keep 2
2-3 pages per area you don,t
2-4 wanta be looking at 2
3-1 THE VALLEY areas on the same pages.

After a while you,ll remember your areas by number and if you forget the first waypoint will have the name attached.Anything more you look to your notebook
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Sorry those numbers mixed all together
GPS like this

1-1 THE DOGWOODS
1-2
1-3
1-4
2-1 THE PINES
2-2
2-3
2-4

Notebook like this:

1-1 THE DOGWOODS
1-2 buck bed hunt with North wind
1-3 scrape line 4" rubs chest high
1-4 small waterhole next to big oak tree
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:23 am

I just say Buck bed 1-17 etc, Doe beds 1-17 etc. Stand 1-17. I like the unique site names, but I don't have that much imagination when I'm out there. I figure that I could always change the names later.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 am

Great system Swampthing. I always name my spots according to some specific to the spot. Like, one of my stand trees in a swamp rut funnel is called "the waterpump tree" because there's an old hand pump on that little island. It's strange knowing there was a homestead in the middle of that swamp so many years ago. No other signs of life at all except for that pump.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 am

Those are some good ideas, I think I may have to a few of them!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Yeah, you do find some crazy stuff ,with all the miles a guy puts in .I walked a mile into a swamp last year found a nice tree for a set-up.Thinking i bet no ther man has ever climbed into this tree b-4 .Half way up I see this thing sticking out of the tree.Here it is an old tree spike,turns out there was another entrance to that swamp I did,nt know about that was only 1/8 of a mile to the tree .

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”