How far do deer commonly bed from crops?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

How far do deer commonly bed from crops?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:38 pm

More specifically, how far do deer commonly bed in a marsh from the crop fields they are using? I think I may be missing out on some well fed agricultural bucks I could be hunting.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
AB_Vinny

Re: How far do deer commonly bed from crops?

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 am

I can't comment on marshes, but after scouting this weekend the does are bedded just inside the treeline facing into the prevailing wind. No wonder they always see me coming :geek:
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:25 am

As far as nesscary for his survival/saftey.
You can't kill em on the couch
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:32 pm

What do you think Dan? One mile, two, three? At what point do you think it's getting to far from the Ag fields (typically) to expect a mature buck using those fields as a primary food source to be routinely using a marsh for bedding? At roughly what point do they just use a different food source because of the distance? I usually figure if it's a good size marsh they will normally bed in it as far away as a mile. Maybe 1.5 miles. I'm just curious what others think or have experienced.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:28 am

The marshes I hunt in are mostly surrounded by agriculture fields. I find the mature buck beds in every area of these marshes... It seems to me safety is #1 when it comes to mature bucks, especially in public or pressured areas. If a buck is showing in a certain field at a decent time, a lot of the time he is bedded in one of the closest big buck bedding areas.
But a lot of the old Slobs that inhabit the marsh are in very remote nasty areas. and I even find some younger bucks out there that seem to be smart at a young age...
You don't see as many deer deep in the marshes, but you do see more big bucks. The younger ones do seem to stay a little closer to the food. And they all do to some degree in late season.
I have also noticed that some older bucks don't seem to go in the crop fields much at all... Shining during the summer nights and only seeing a certain huge buck in fields at 2am to 4am and only one out of 100 shining trips while you see certain other bucks that are younger just about every trip teaches you a thing or two...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 pm

There is no general rule for this. I think it depends on the bucks home range, and what type of food is avaliable in it. A prime food source will be traveled to, even miles. 2 or 3 miles is nothing to a deer(especially at night). If a deer has prime food right near his core area, he travels less than a deer that dosen't have prime food in his area. A deer may adjust his bedding within his area according to prime food.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”