Short Story

• Advertisement

HB Store

LenH
500 Club

Short Story

Unread postby LenH » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:38 am

We fished another 30 minutes and walked back downstream. We stopped at Mike's hole where he caught the biggest brown he had every caught in 10 years of fishing. There it laid in the center of the hole. It was obviously dead. I motioned to Mike to go out and get it. He looked at me in disbelief. I questioned Mike: "Mike are going to get that trout or not?" Mike told me: "In 10 years of flyfishing he had NEVER kept a trout and it was against his belief system." I waded out to the center of the hole and retrieved the trout. We walked back to the vehicle and as we walked we talked. To my UTTER astonishment Mike had never kept a trout EVER and did not know how to clean a trout.
http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2011/01/short-story.html

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Short Story

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Interesting story Len... It always bothered me when I would release obviously dead fish because of size restrictions ( not just talking trout but fish in general)
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:33 pm

LenH wrote:Image

We fished another 30 minutes and walked back downstream. We stopped at Mike's hole where he caught the biggest brown he had every caught in 10 years of fishing. There it laid in the center of the hole. It was obviously dead. I motioned to Mike to go out and get it. He looked at me in disbelief. I questioned Mike: "Mike are going to get that trout or not?" Mike told me: "In 10 years of flyfishing he had NEVER kept a trout and it was against his belief system." I waded out to the center of the hole and retrieved the trout. We walked back to the vehicle and as we walked we talked. To my UTTER astonishment Mike had never kept a trout EVER and did not know how to clean a trout.
http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2011/01/short-story.html

Was Mike lacking in the critical thinking dept? A dead fish should be always be kept if allowed. Many many streams need to have the population density knocked down hard for the betterment of the stream.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:49 am

Heat of the summer fishing is difficult for catch and release,especially so with size restrictions.Fortunately where I do the majority of my stream fishing there is no size restriction. If I go to release a trout and it turns over or shows clearly that it is not likely to make it,it gets kept.
Early morning fishing being the best because the stream has had all night to cool a little.
I know I am stating the obvious,if you are going to fish streams in the heat of the summer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”