Thank You

• Advertisement

HB Store

LenH
500 Club

Thank You

Unread postby LenH » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:51 am

Many folks have a list they write. Things they want to do before they die list basically. The lists vary greatly. Some things on people's lists are too out there and unattainable. Some are too short sighted and not really challenging. The one common theme to all the lists is dreaming. Don't wait until near the end of your life to start marking off the items on the list.

I put things on my bucket list as I experience them. I have no idea what they are until I actually do them. These things need to make me feel alive and appreciative of what I have lived and what I have to look forward to.

The movie the Bucket List had the wrong idea. The two friends in the movie waited too long to go out and experience life and truly live it. They began their quests when both were diagnosed with a terminal disease.

About twenty years ago I was asked by an acquaintance to go trout fishing opening day. As the date neared the weather forecast looked atrocious. It called for eight to twelve inches. I contemplated calling off the outing. The guy was driving all the way from Chicago in the the snow storm so who was I to cancel if he wanted to still go.

I met up near my home and we both took our vehicles to fish. The rural roads had not been plowed and we were the first fools to barrel through the eight inches already on the ground. I had a SUV so I went first and blazed the trail. He had a all wheel drive Subaru Wagon.

We got to our first destination. It took us twice as long to get there as I planned. I geared up and layered up. There was no wind. The snow was falling in large flakes directly to the ground. The snow fall made no sound and drown out all other sounds and senses. Everything in life slowed down. It seemed like I was watching a movie with me in it in slow motion.

We placed ourselves on each side of a large beaver dam. We methodically fished the beaver dam for a couple hours. The snow continued to fall. Snow built up on the bill of my cap. My glasses fogged up often and I needed to clean them off. The snow went down the back of my neck. The snow felt good on my face and as it melted and went down the back of my coat. My shoulders were covered with snow. My senses were hyperactive and I was amazed at how much I enjoyed this outing. It made me feel alive and appreciate life more.

Most people hate snow but the feeling that day was quite the opposite. Words can not describe the day properly. We walked back to the vehicles and decided we had fished enough. Four more inches had fallen while we fished and he had to return to Chicago. We had both caught lots of trout but that really didn't matter that day.

I took off all of my wet gear and jumped into the front seat of my vehicle. I typically write in a fishing log book right away in the car so I won't forget names, numbers and conditions of the outing. I have kept log books for thirty-five years. I sat there for a minute with a huge smile on my face. I wrote one thing in the book for the day. Bucket List.

My fishing partner snapped a couple photos of me as we fished. I have fished with many anglers through the years. The day was so special and believe it or not I can not remember who I fished with that day and took this photo of me. All I can say is thank you.

Edcyclopedia

Re: Thank You

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:56 am

Very cool!
Literally and figuratively. ..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:57 am

Nice write up. I don't have a bucket list. I do cherish some days to the point where I'm sorry the day is over or ending. That picture would be to me, one day I wish wouldn't end.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 am

Thank you.......

For sharing that day and the other stories you post. I always look forward to your threads.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Great story. Thanks for sharing

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks for putting things in perspective. Sometimes we're in such a hurry we forget where we're going... Or why we're here.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Awesome!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Loved the story!

There's something about large slow falling snowflakes that makes me slow down and appreciate mother mature to the fullest. For me it's the epitome of serenity and peace.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Lockdown wrote:Loved the story!

There's something about large slow falling snowflakes that makes me slow down and appreciate mother mature to the fullest. For me it's the epitome of serenity and peace.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm looking forward to hunting in the first snowfall of the year tomorrow morning. 8-)

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Dewey wrote:

Couldn't have said it better. I'm looking forward to hunting in the first snowfall of the year tomorrow morning. 8-)

Good luck Dewey!

I think it's something that not all people feel or understand.

A frosty November sunrise from a deer stand.
The distant chatter from a slough full of mallards after opening your truck door in the pre dawn darkness...
The distinct sound of a whitetail's foot steps headed in your direction...

I know some of you can relate to the things I mentioned, just like I could relate to len's story.

I distinctly remember a bow hunt from 5 or 6 years ago where I sat on stand and and let the large snowflakes settle on me. Aside from swiveling my head, I didn't move. Before long the snow accumulated and I felt as if I'd melted into my surroundings. Surely no deer would have ever seen me. Matter of factly, standing up would have got me busted due to an "avalanche" of snow falling from my body.

I never saw a deer that night, but I left my stand feeling like I was on cloud nine. The feeling was similar to what I've felt after making a kill.

I wish the non hunters and anti's knew what the outdoors truly means to someone who appreciates the grandeur of Mother Nature.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Good luck Dewey!

The distant chatter from a slough full of mallards after opening your truck door in the pre dawn darkness...

I know some of you can relate to the things I mentioned, just like I could relate to len's story.

I distinctly remember a bow hunt from 5 or 6 years ago where I sat on stand and and let the large snowflakes settle on me. Aside from swiveling my head, I didn't move. Before long the snow accumulated on me and I felt as if I'd melted into my surroundings. Surely no deer would have ever seen me. Matter of factly, standing up would have got me busted due to an "avalanche" of snow falling from my body.

I never saw a deer that night, but I left my stand feeling like I was on cloud nine.

One of those days you are talking about. 8-)

Here is another

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:49 pm

by no means trying to hijack Len!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:53 pm

Dewey wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Good luck Dewey!

I distinctly remember a bow hunt from 5 or 6 years ago where I sat on stand and and let the large snowflakes settle on me. Aside from swiveling my head, I didn't move. Before long the snow accumulated on me and I felt as if I'd melted into my surroundings. Surely no deer would have ever seen me. Matter of factly, standing up would have got me busted due to an "avalanche" of snow falling from my body.

I never saw a deer that night, but I left my stand feeling like I was on cloud nine.

One of those days you are talking about. 8-)

Here is another

Yep 8-) Pretty awesome when you go home happy as a clam and empty handed at the same time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”