Question for the fly fisherman.

• Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Question for the fly fisherman.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:09 pm

I used to fly fish alot. I really want to get back at it this summer. The equipment I did have is long gone. I used to use a Berkley Hunter series fly rod and I don't think they make those anymore. That was a good rod IMO. Im not looking at spending a ton to get a good fly rod and reel, but something that will work well and get me started again. Anyone have any recommendations?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: Question for the fly fisherman.

Unread postby csoult » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:12 pm

I have a sage, three orvis rods, and a cabelas 3 forks rod. My favorite rod is my Helios, second favorite is my T3, but for the money, without question I'd go with the 3 forks rod. There's nothing you can't do, as far as trout fishing goes with an 8'-6" 4wt. Many people would argue that a 9' 5wt is the way go, but my argument is that with an 8'-6" 4wt you can fish small to big streams, dries to streamer. I'd pair that with an Orvis BBS II with an extra spool so you can easily switch between your dry/streamer rig to your nymphing rig.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/ ... t105573780

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:19 pm

If you are warm water fishing, i.e. pike, musky, largemouth its a completely different game, and nothing short of a 7wt and usually more will do. I left out smallmouth because I have successfully fished with my 4wt for smallmouth, although something bigger would be better.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Im not looking for anything special, but that three forks rod might be the ticket. Im focusing on small trout streams.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:35 pm

Depends on how serious you think you'll get. One year I broke my rod and funds were low. I bought a cheap Scientific Anglers introductory combo set from Walmart. An 8'6'' 6 wt. I used this on the Missouri R. in Montana and small streams as well. It's still my favorite nymphing rod. Alot of shops will let you try out a set up before you buy. There's also TONS of stuff on flyfishing on the internet. Good luck and have fun.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:58 am

Great replies, I would recommend either of them. The Cabela's 3 forks are great for the price and the introductory SA is also good value. I've used Cabela's IM6 graphite at a great price for flyfishing many times.

I've been in the Scientific Angler's production factory on multiple occassions as well, good stuff.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Great replies, I would recommend either of them. The Cabela's 3 forks are great for the price and the introductory SA is also good value. I've used Cabela's IM6 graphite at a great price for flyfishing many times.

I've been in the Scientific Angler's production factory on multiple occassions as well, good stuff.

Just bought a three forks rod today at Cabelas. Its a 6 wt. On sale for $42. I now need a reel, fly line, and flies. Again, Im looking for good equipment for the lowest price. Any recommendations for the things I listed?
kotimaki

Unread postby kotimaki » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:28 pm

I bought a couple clearance rod packages from cabelas for my daughters to learn on. On a whim I tried one out and was impressed....very impressed for the price , like 30.00 each. Which helped offset the taxidermy bill as the first fish taken was a pig brookie.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:37 am

Temple fork outfitters is also a good bang for the buck, designers came from sage and they have lifetime warranties

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:46 am

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:00 pm

I vote for Temple Fork Outfitters as well. Very nice rods for the $ and lifetime warranty

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:41 pm

If people would read the freakin posts [glow=red]I already have a rod[/glow]. I m looking for advice on reels, line, and other cool fly fishing stuff at this time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Sorry for trying to help... :think:

I don't have all day to read every response - sometimes I just read the original post and save myself the dramatics of the rest of the thread.
We can certainly refrain if you want?...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:39 am

I was just at cabelas saturday and saw they had a prestige set on sale for like $159 I think. It was a rod, reel, backing, line, and some accessories to get you back in the game.

That 6 wt might be a little hefty for small trout streams. I've found a 9' 5wt to be the best all purpose rod and even that can be be too much if you don't have alot of room to maneuver and you are catching smaller stream trout.

IMO I wouldn't spend much on a reel. Rarely will it get used on a small trout stream. I rarely even need it catching smallies on the surface. There's usually enough line out to play with. I have a G Loomis I bought on sale; looks nice, but doesn't see much action.

Flies...it depends what you are fishing for and when. I'd recommend a nice assortment of caddis, wolly buggers, adams, etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”