HB Store

LenH
500 Club

Reading Water

Unread postby LenH » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 am

Scenario:

First time on this waterway.

Tell me where the prime lays are?

Map the bottom for me and tell me why you think it lays like that.

You say you can't see the bottom so you don't know?

There are ways of getting around that.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Reading Water

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:21 am

I like the undercut bank hole on the left side of the picture coming off the riffle-run. I would fish the back end of this hole first, then the front part of the under cut hole, then the run, etc. You risk spooking the whole spot with the first fish by casting to far upstream early.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
LenH
500 Club

Unread postby LenH » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm

the current digs it out the corner with the tree and tree roots make good cover.

The water bounces to the other side cuts the next S on the other side. The curvature on the bank tells you that.

The little island along the fast...when water is really up high the water blows over top of it. and deposits silt and rock just on the other side....

that fast water is obviously shallow because if it was deep there would be no broken fast water.

Any lips on this waterway have great potential because of no cover. The trout need cover. Even a double in depth of the main channel is a hiding place. Those worn corner say that there is plenty of water to cut good hiding places on edge with even minimal weeds on edge.

Trout hang on the edges of broken water to be hidden and be right near the food.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 am

LenH wrote:the current digs it out the corner with the tree and tree roots make good cover.

The water bounces to the other side cuts the next S on the other side. The curvature on the bank tells you that.

The little island along the fast...when water is really up high the water blows over top of it. and deposits silt and rock just on the other side....

that fast water is obviously shallow because if it was deep there would be no broken fast water.

Any lips on this waterway have great potential because of no cover. The trout need cover. Even a double in depth of the main channel is a hiding place. Those worn corner say that there is plenty of water to cut good hiding places on edge with even minimal weeds on edge.

Trout hang on the edges of broken water to be hidden and be right near the food.

Actually I was just thinking the same thing, I think. As good as the spot in the foreground looks, upstream aways where that little tree sits beside the bank is what really interests me. It looks like at one point it was a little bend until the current carved out the inside point, now the current should more or less run straight through. A spot like this should have some deep water where the outside of the old bend was, because the current has cut a new path this will be far slower water than your usual cut bank. Hard to say exactly how the bottom looks in such a place but a cut out bend can be a real honey hole.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Trout Fishing”