overwhelmingly large public tract

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

overwhelmingly large public tract

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:01 pm

There is a very VERY large chunk of public bottom lands not far from where I hunt. A river turns into a reservoir so you name it and it's there as far as terrain. The DNR has food plots, the area is surrounded by corn and beans, and it has plenty of pressure, but not over the top pressure.

Where in the world does a guy even start to dissect something like this? I was driving around with my kids this afternoon on the one side of this place thinking, "I gotta get some foot prints on this place this winter, I'm definitely missing out"

I honestly believe a guy could go in here and pop a 150+ every year if he put in some honest ground pounding.

Anyone want to road trip to Iowa for a shed hunt this spring?

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Re: overwhelmingly large public tract

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:02 pm

a map would start :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:05 pm

How far in Iowa from 3o minutes north of Madison Wisconsin
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm

im up for the road trip tell me when and where and ill tell you if i can do it or not ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Wait for some snow and wear out your boots covering everything you possibly can. This should give you an idea how many deer are actually there. Places like that I like to check out during the late bow season and it sure feels good to get out and walk after spending so much time in treestands.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm

i hear ya, the 3 places we hunt most are 3,000/ 4,000 and 20,000 respectively. When i stand on some of those ridges overlookin it all i feel the same way especially when things arent goin good because they could be anywhere. But I think it was Dan that said in the hill country video when you truly break a property like that down with leeward sides and bedding areas and travel corridors it helps. Lots of boot work and aerials and topos. But you dont need me to tell you that.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:52 pm

BigRed wrote:i hear ya, the 3 places we hunt most are 3,000/ 4,000 and 20,000 respectively. When i stand on some of those ridges overlookin it all i feel the same way especially when things arent goin good because they could be anywhere. But I think it was Dan that said in the hill country video when you truly break a property like that down with leeward sides and bedding areas and travel corridors it helps. Lots of boot work and aerials and topos. But you dont need me to tell you that.

Yeah I know, it's just freaking huge to look at on a map and even bigger when you start driving. It's over 15,000 acres and it wouldn't be hard to cut out the worthless places with a little spare time and map work. Just have to get them all printed out and start looking at them.

Problem being the spare time.

BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:14 pm

muddy wrote:
BigRed wrote:i hear ya, the 3 places we hunt most are 3,000/ 4,000 and 20,000 respectively. When i stand on some of those ridges overlookin it all i feel the same way especially when things arent goin good because they could be anywhere. But I think it was Dan that said in the hill country video when you truly break a property like that down with leeward sides and bedding areas and travel corridors it helps. Lots of boot work and aerials and topos. But you dont need me to tell you that.

Yeah I know, it's just freaking huge to look at on a map and even bigger when you start driving. It's over 15,000 acres and it wouldn't be hard to cut out the worthless places with a little spare time and map work. Just have to get them all printed out and start looking at them.

Problem being the spare time.

Isnt that the truth. I wish i could put the time in i used to before i had a family knowing what ive learned from here. Id be alot farther along in my hunting career.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:23 pm

[quote="muddy"]There is a very VERY large chunk of public bottom lands not far from where I hunt. A river turns into a reservoir so you name it and it's there as far as terrain. The DNR has food plots, the area is surrounded by corn and beans, and it has plenty of pressure, but not over the top pressure.

Where in the world does a guy even start to dissect something like this? I was driving around with my kids this afternoon on the one side of this place thinking, "I gotta get some foot prints on this place this winter, I'm definitely missing out"

I honestly believe a guy could go in here and pop a 150+ every year if he put in some honest ground pounding.

Anyone want to road trip to Iowa for a shed hunt this spring?[/quote]

:think:
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Gardner Swamp wrote:
muddy wrote:There is a very VERY large chunk of public bottom lands not far from where I hunt. A river turns into a reservoir so you name it and it's there as far as terrain. The DNR has food plots, the area is surrounded by corn and beans, and it has plenty of pressure, but not over the top pressure.

Anyone want to road trip to Iowa for a shed hunt this spring?[/quote]

:think:

Things that make you say hmmm.......
Lil Hodag

Unread postby Lil Hodag » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Mark and I are coming down this spring to scout for a few days. This is one of the spots we want to hit and we're bring a boat. We were planning and talking Sat. night while at his birthday bash.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Lil Hodag wrote:Mark and I are coming down this spring to scout for a few days. This is one of the spots we want to hit and we're bring a boat. We were planning and talking Sat. night while at his birthday bash.

Perfect. I'll print out the maps and you guys mark where I should hunt and I will give you first hand reports next fall.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:04 pm

muddy wrote:
Lil Hodag wrote:Mark and I are coming down this spring to scout for a few days. This is one of the spots we want to hit and we're bring a boat. We were planning and talking Sat. night while at his birthday bash.

Perfect. I'll print out the maps and you guys mark where I should hunt and I will give you first hand reports next fall.

Sounds like Hodag is gettin the short end of the stick! :lol:

I wouldn't mind hunting sheds in Iowa if it's an open invite but I don't really want to see what I'm missing out on. Could be a sad return to old WI.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Lil Hodag

Unread postby Lil Hodag » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:07 pm

muddy wrote:

That's actually what we were hoping. We can only spend so many days scouting in the spring and if you can dedicate some actual hunting time this fall you can give first hand reports. I doubt we draw a tag this fall.....
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Lil Hodag wrote:That's actually what we were hoping. We can only spend so many days scouting in the spring and if you can dedicate some actual hunting time this fall you can give first hand reports. I doubt we draw a tag this fall.....

I'll have maps printed, taped together, and mailed to you then. You guys just make sure you have walleyes caught, filleted, bagged, and frozen for me when I show up this winter! LoL

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”