Tomorrow!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Tomorrow!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Good luck man I hope you stick him. This post has me re-thinking my plans for tomorrow maybe I too will sit a piece of public land I scouted in spring. Definitely report back with how the hunt goes good luck.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 am

Got up early, drank some Joe... still pouring over my topo's and aerial's of the area. Most importantly, I have my primary hunting notebook out and am reading over my handwritten notes for the stand... the exact positions of the beds in the bedding area, entrances and exits... the best approach to the stand site based on wind direction... the location of other beds in the surrounding area and their impact on my approach... much more of course, but you get the idea. Love it, man!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks for backing me up, fellow Beasts! This stand is a job and half to get to...

Ack wrote:Good luck Bridge......hope it's not the one I'm after! :think: If I see your truck I'll be sure to move on to the next spot! 8-)

No worries Brian... there is very little chance it is the same buck. There are guys on the lookout for the Big Red Beast, btw! I am getting dropped off at my access, so Big Red won't be a factor. I'd park Big Red Beast somewhere to throw some guys off, but don't want to take a chance of it getting broken into...

For some reason, my truck is highly recognizable? :lol:

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 am

love those plates!! is the wind still holding up for your access??
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:28 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:love those plates!! is the wind still holding up for your access??

It has shifted slightly, but not in a negative direction. If it holds up, I should be able to get in there... time will tell.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:52 am

Cool, Hope your plan comes together. Evening moon is comming in! good Luck!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:05 am

Good luck!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:15 pm

What a great night to hunt! Never fired an arrow, but the cool temps and the good wind made it a great sit. On my entry, I was fired up to see two decent rubs in the staging area just off the bedding... always a good sign. About an hour before dark, half a dozen bluejays went banana's in the next bedding area over... "hmmmm..." I thought. My target buck beds there quite a bit, and couldn't help but wonder if i picked the wrong bedding area to set up on tonight. The final hour passed and nothing exited the bedding area i had set up on to approach the staging area I was covering. Man, there are several trails off that bedding that exit onto the mainland 15 to 25 yards from my tree. Too bad!

At last light I quietly began packing my things... I could only see about 30 yards from my tree. I finally took my arrow off the string and placed it in the quiver. I unzipped my pocket with my bow rope, but then heard a "crunch, crunch, crunch" approaching my tree. I quickly nocked an arrow and got my release on the string. ten minutes of legal shooting time remained, but I could only see about 30 yards. A lone deer was approaching my stand from the other bedding area, walking right down the edge of the swamp. I was amazed he hadn't detected me, as the run was mostly downwind from my tree. Finally the deer stopped, and made a "inhale / vacuum" noise with its nose. He had to be within forty yards of me, but I couldn't see him. He stood right there and wouldn't move a muscle for the next twenty minutes! Finally he disappeard walking out and away from me.

I am now "stacking" the bedding areas here, and hope to get a closer look at the bucks using these bedding areas.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:What a great night to hunt! Never fired an arrow, but the cool temps and the good wind made it a great sit. On my entry, I was fired up to see two decent rubs in the staging area just off the bedding... always a good sign. About an hour before dark, half a dozen bluejays went banana's in the next bedding area over... "hmmmm..." I thought. My target buck beds there quite a bit, and couldn't help but wonder if i picked the wrong bedding area to set up on tonight. The final hour passed and nothing exited the bedding area i had set up on to approach the staging area I was covering. Man, there are several trails off that bedding that exit onto the mainland 15 to 25 yards from my tree. Too bad!

At last light I quietly began packing my things... I could only see about 30 yards from my tree. I finally took my arrow off the string and placed it in the quiver. I unzipped my pocket with my bow rope, but then heard a "crunch, crunch, crunch" approaching my tree. I quickly nocked an arrow and got my release on the string. ten minutes of legal shooting time remained, but I could only see about 30 yards. A lone deer was approaching my stand from the other bedding area, walking right down the edge of the swamp. I was amazed he hadn't detected me, as the run was mostly downwind from my tree. Finally the deer stopped, and made a "inhale / vacuum" noise with its nose. He had to be withing forty yards of me, but I couldn't see him. He stood right there and wouldn't move a muscle for the next twenty minutes! Finally he disappeard walking out and away from me.

I am now "stacking" the bedding areas here, and hope to get a closer look at the bucks using these bedding areas.

wow nice i hope it works out for you 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:What a great night to hunt! Never fired an arrow, but the cool temps and the good wind made it a great sit. On my entry, I was fired up to see two decent rubs in the staging area just off the bedding... always a good sign. About an hour before dark, half a dozen bluejays went banana's in the next bedding area over... "hmmmm..." I thought. My target buck beds there quite a bit, and couldn't help but wonder if i picked the wrong bedding area to set up on tonight. The final hour passed and nothing exited the bedding area i had set up on to approach the staging area I was covering. Man, there are several trails off that bedding that exit onto the mainland 15 to 25 yards from my tree. Too bad!

At last light I quietly began packing my things... I could only see about 30 yards from my tree. I finally took my arrow off the string and placed it in the quiver. I unzipped my pocket with my bow rope, but then heard a "crunch, crunch, crunch" approaching my tree. I quickly nocked an arrow and got my release on the string. ten minutes of legal shooting time remained, but I could only see about 30 yards. A lone deer was approaching my stand from the other bedding area, walking right down the edge of the swamp. I was amazed he hadn't detected me, as the run was mostly downwind from my tree. Finally the deer stopped, and made a "inhale / vacuum" noise with its nose. He had to be withing forty yards of me, but I couldn't see him. He stood right there and wouldn't move a muscle for the next twenty minutes! Finally he disappeard walking out and away from me.

Awesome hunt. Can't wait to for the next one SB. Look forward to the stacking report! Good luck!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:07 pm

great job SB! awesome hunt. Sounds like you were as close as it gets without doin' the deed
When better is possible, good is never good enough
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:11 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:great job SB! awesome hunt. Sounds like you were as close as it gets without doin' the deed

X2. You may have stacked it tonight? He may come out of that bedding area tomorrow night heading a different direction? (Actually today as of this posting.)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:56 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:X2. You may have stacked it tonight? He may come out of that bedding area tomorrow night heading a different direction? (Actually today as of this posting.)

After our "Spook Fest" last night, he'll likely stage and hold...

NNE wind tonight with gusts 30 - 40 mph. Light rain. That wind will probably have him use one of his other primary exits that quarters NE and right onto private I don't have access to. That's what makes that bed special, he can use it in any wind and have an advantage. When the Jays cut loose last night I could see the treetop of the tree he beds under over there... but I'm working my way outside / in. There was an excellent chance he was in the bedding area I covered last night, with fresh rubs and tracks in the staging area. Just wasn't meant to be, that's why they call it hunting!

Carrying a LW Alpha, 4 sticks, camera arm, camera, safety harness and all other miscellaneous gear through a swamp for 1 3/4 miles each way is a real treat! Some days I wish I was 25 again... just sayin!
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 am

Good read.

Why do you pack up before shooting time?

There is NO WAY i would ever pack up until I cant see at all or its PASSED legal shooting time.
You can't kill em on the couch
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 am

Brandon wrote:Good read.

Why do you pack up before shooting time?

There is NO WAY i would ever pack up until I cant see at all or its PASSED legal shooting time.

Thanks Brandon. 8-)

No worries, 30 yards of visibility was a bit optimistic. With no movement in the bedding area before it vanished into darkness I had only turned my camera off and moved my quiver. You bring up an excellent point... it ain't over until its over.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”