Turkey report

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

badfaulkner

Turkey report

Unread postby badfaulkner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 am

Granted, I should've done some scouting. LOL.

But I can say with certainty that my deer and wild hog honeyhole in the swamp seems gobbler free after my wonderful full moon day in the woods yesterday. Didn't see or hear any turkeys whatsoever. Saw six deer, saw fresh hog sign, saw new pinch points to hunt deer. Even worked my way through a six-year old cutover (a clearcut regrowing) and found buck rubs and hog trails galore. But no turkeys.

Ah, but what a time. Being in those public land woods I love, in that swamp with the full moon as bright as a street lamp, waiting for the day to begin was beautiful. Moonlight on the palm fronds and cane brake.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Turkey report

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:09 am

Any time in the woods is well spent...
How long you get to hunt them down there? How many birds you get to shoot?
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:25 am

Dan,

Our region in the state is April 1st to May 1st and we're given tags for five gobblers!

The lowcountry (southeastern corner of state...Charleston and farther south) has a season that begins on March 15th and runs May 1st. Some of the hunting shows that have featured "name brand" hunters in SC are most likely filmed down there.

When's your season up there in WI? What's your limit?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 am

When's your season up there in WI? What's your limit?

We have about 6 weeks of hunting. But you apply and draw a 5 day period during that 6 weeks. Hunts run Wednesday thru Sunday. So we basically get one weekend to hunt one bird. However, the wonderful state of Wisconsin has discovered it can make more money by selling more tags so there is the possibility of purchasing another 5 day tag.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”