Hunting Islands on a River

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Hunting Islands on a River

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Interesting thoughts about the peninsulas/inside bends. I had always connected outside bends as being natural funnels, especially when the cover converges there as well. But I had never really made the connection of them bedding on those sharp, thick inside corners. Will have to check those out.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:31 pm

I would concentrate on the basics... Since islands are usually fairly small and concentrated in comparasin to mainland, I would hunt the funnels during rut, and the staging outside of rut.
If the area gets hunted regularily expect mature bucks to bed in a way to see and/or smell aproaching danger.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:54 am

Found this buck on a river island(avatar pic) . I hunt almost all river bottoms and it always makes me laugh at how many beds are set up across river from boat landing and portages/access areas. Keeps you honest gettin set up. Most times your entry is gonna kill ya unless you take the steps to not be seen crossing where you hunt. Canoes give you a few more options here...goodluck out there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”