Ever had one of those spots.....

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Ever had one of those spots.....

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:14 pm

....where you would have deer pass by your stand, no matter what part of the season, at any time of the day? I had one such spot a few years back on some local public land. Deer would pass by what I considered the perfect tree, going between the public land and some private land that was 200 yards or so away. It was just one of those magical spots I could see deer of just about any size and age every time I was there. That spot eventually went to crap when some beavers dammed up a low area the deer would cross and turned it into quite the pond. Needless to say the deer stayed on the private land more and never really came by my tree anymore. Probably time to check it out again this year....it's a really fun spot to hunt!

Edcyclopedia

Re: Ever had one of those spots.....

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I sure wish I had a better answer than NO, but I don't ;)
I don't think they grow trees like that in NH...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:33 pm

It was just one of those magical spots I could see deer of just about [glow=red]any size and age[/glow] every time I was there.

Ack, when your talking about seeing "any age" and Michigan in the same sentence, something doesnt make sense. :shock: Are you saying you had 4.5yr+ old bucks walk by your stand on occasion?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 pm

kenn1320 wrote:
It was just one of those magical spots I could see deer of just about [glow=red]any size and age[/glow] every time I was there.

Ack, when your talking about seeing "any age" and Michigan in the same sentence, something doesnt make sense. :shock: Are you saying you had 4.5yr+ old bucks walk by your stand on occasion?

Your right Kenn....a 4.5 on public land in MI is very rare. No, I didn't see any that old....just saying that of the deer in general I saw bucks, does, fawns, you name it at this spot.....all different ages within reason.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Statistically, there is always one particular "tree" that more deer will pass by than any other tree in the area. I am still searching for that exact "tree". Will send pics if/when I happen to find it!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 am

I agree PLH....Over the years I have noticed how deer, and turkeys, will often gravitate to certain types of trees when on the move. I think they use them as landmarks, just as we would.

In my situation above, I hunted near the creek when I first went into this spot. From there I noticed how all of the deer came down to the creek in the same exact spot, all the time. Moved in one day and pinned down exactly where they were coming through the woods, and low and behold there was a giant maple with large, up-sweeping branches for cover 15 yards from the "zone". Don't think I ever got picked from that spot while I hunted it, even with all of the action.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:51 am

Ack, its time to take up beaver trapping and get your tree back. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Ack, its time to take up beaver trapping and get your tree back. :D

Exactly what I was thinking!
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Czabs wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Ack, its time to take up beaver trapping and get your tree back. :D

Exactly what I was thinking!

That's right!!!!!!!!!
You should make it for recovering this dream place!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 pm

I am going to be heading out to this spot within the next week or so to get a stand in there again. The deer are still there even if the creek is flooded.....it actually keeps guys out if the water is higher. Water or not I have never seen another hunter back near this spot, so it's some good low pressure hunting.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Sounds like a great tree AcK. I have had other guys tell me of such trees. I have never really had one myself. Is there room for two up in that tree? ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:44 pm

I had a spot like that, I found it when I was young and stupid, it was early season and i set up there because it was easy to get too and was 200 yards to walk to. Little did I know that it was a premium tree, I missed a doe early season, went back 2 weeks later, had 13 does walk by, shot the biggest who ended up being 8.5 years old per the dnr :o , and that "earned my buck", 5 minutes later shot a buck! later that year a primary scrape showed up and I saw two 150 inch deer less than 30 yards away. It was an awesome spot, every time i sat there it was a non stop parade. I later found out it was a staging area that connected a feild to a bedding area and it was thick and nasty on two sides of it. It became useless when the owner put a road down the middle of it :cry:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Brad Lamont wrote: It became useless when the owner put a road down the middle of it :cry:

bummer :cry: :cry:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Yup.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:38 am

I have had a few spots like that... Primary buck bedding areas can be like that "IF" you don't over hunt them.
I had one in the marsh that would produce a shooter buck every time I hunted it, as long as it was only hunted a few times a year. Unfortunately it was near a private land border and when the land owner saw a show with me shooting a buck 20 yards from his land border he blew a fit. To keep peace I never hunted there again even though I was totally in the legal. I did walk past that spot and noticed they set up a large permanent stand right there and had a beat path to it... Looked like all the deer sign dried up along with the pressure increase.

I had another spot, thats now a subdivision, that was in the middle of an old unused pasture that had grown in with high grasses. There was a little funnel there and there were great buck bedding, and doe bedding areas on both sides and the bucks from all of them would meet and stage under a big willow tree right there. There was no way to get a stand in that tree, but you could stand in the crotch where all the huge limbs sprouted off from about 7 feet off the ground... I never saw more mature bucks in any one spot than right there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”