Ever had one of those spots.....

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Ever had one of those spots.....

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:02 am

The only such spot I've had is a gun hunting tree, about a mile back on the border of a cattail marsh and tamarack/cedar swamp. First time I hunted it I shot a doe. Next year never fired a shot but saw 12 deer opening morning, over the course of the entire morning, not just early. The last year I hunted it I saw 3 does and 2 fawns. They were quite spread out, which allowed me to shoot all three does. Probably wouldn't hunt there again though simply because I never saw any big bucks there. More of a numbers spot. I have other spots that appear to be more big buck worthy. Plus I now live about 4.5 hours away.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 am

theres a spot i sit every opeinng mouring for gun and i S$$t you not every year when pepole start moving around deer cross over from woods to woods and i see at least 20 sometimes 30 deer on opeing day
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:56 am

When he saw it, a friend named my tree that fits this thread: Bean pole. It has since grown into a larger tree, but still can't beat the location.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:55 am

I have a place like that. I only hunt it 3-4 times a year when the wind is right. I see deer everytime I sit . It is very sensitive to overhunting though.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:33 pm

I had a spot up until this year that I could shoot a doe out of it every day on a north west wind... EVERY DAY. land became known when a larger section was donated to the state and they put a parking lot directly across from the spot. Im talking 50 yards tops. It was so easy to get too, it was litterally a 1 min walk in and hang the stand. usually when you shot them they headed to the orchard on the other side of the road and didnt make it, piling up about 25 yards from the truck lol. Gonna miss that place. It was ideal for that last minute hunt after work.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:40 am

I have a spot on the public that is like this. Its in between 4 main bedding areas and 2 ridge lines cross. Is like a star of different trails all converge at the spot. I get deer coming from everyway all day. Add a little human pressure to the mix and it gets better n better. Once the crops come off the local farms it still gets better. I hunt it 10 or so times a year and it almost always produces multiple sightings. Im not sure how many deer total Ive pulled outta that stand, id guess into the 20s including my largest buck. Been hunting it now for 10 years or so n its always the same. I stumbled on the area after a opening day snow. I caught fresh tracks coming out of a little unseen trail. Sat the trail that night n killed a doe. Moved positions a few times till I perfected the exact spot that I could shoot almost all the trails they were coming down and haven't moved since.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:47 am

I have found a couple spots like that. I try to hunt them only once a year, will try a second hunt if I avoid detection the first hunt. They are high impact. The first spot I found like that I burned out by over hunting it.

One spot I have hunted for three years - a total of 5 hunts in 3 years and had encounters with 3 year old or older bucks on 4 of the hunts. Its a mind blowing awesome late pre rut stand.

All those big time spots seem to have a combination of cover and terrain features that funnel deer into one spot, but at the same time they are never obvious enough to attract a lot of attention from hunters...i.e. you can't pick them out from an aerial photo easily.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”