Caliber of bucks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Caliber of bucks

Unread postby Ack » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:58 pm

So what's a realistic size buck you can expect to see every year on the public land you hunt? I know there are a lot of different factors that go into determining how old and how big bucks get in certain areas, but I'm just wondering what's roaming the woods you hunt.

For me....I'm very lucky to see a 100" buck every year, mainly due to the hunting pressure that is in the public areas I hunt. There is so much access that people come at it from all sides and the deer just can't grow very old out there. Food/nutrition is also an issue because there is limited agriculture around for miles.

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Caliber of bucks

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:06 pm

i would say a 120-130''er is possible every year if your very proficient.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

It depends some spots Im lucky to see a buck at all, I have seen 170 class bucks on another. I will shoot a 100 inch buck on a lot of the spots that I hunt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm

My goal is to see at least one 150" buck on public land in Southern WI every season and so far I have been pretty lucky to accomplish this except for a few seasons since the mid-90's. Usually I average 2-3 buck sightings over 130" for sure but the last few seasons it just seem to be getting better and better and I have been averaging between 5-6 bucks over 130". :D I'm sure this had something to do with EAB that ended a few years ago but also I am hunting much smarter than I have in the past. I never hunt the same tree twice in a season and only hunt a spot if the wind is absolutely perfect.

Where I hunt Northern WI it is totally different. In the last 20 years I only saw maybe 5-6 bucks that would score over 120". I used to spend alot of time up there but the past few years have been hunting down south much more and it has been paying off.

I believe that on most public land in WI you can get on a mature buck if you scout hard enough and put in the time on stand. Now killing them is a different story!! :mrgreen:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:37 pm

My goals change from property to property... I don't set them so high as to go deer less for several years. Last year I went to a new property bow hunting and scouted via map and went in blind for one weekend not knowing what to expect. I set my goal for that weekend at 2 1/2 or older, and thats exactly what I shot a 2 1/2 y/o.
Other places where bigger bucks exist or I know the land better I might hold out for 3 1/2 or better, and some land I might hold out for one particular buck...
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 am

It varies on each chunk of public ground you hunt. I have locations here that you are hard pressed to see a two-year old buck on. Others that have adjacent properties with 130-150 inch bucks that pass through from time to time, so my standards are higher. Yet, on a public land wilderness hunt a mature big-woods buck may be judged more on his age and body size, rather than his rack due to poor food sources and harsh winter conditions limiting antler growth.

At the end of the day, you have to hunt for yourself and find enjoyment/challenge in what you accomplish. Set your own standards and be true to yourself.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:51 am

In northern WI the public and private I hunt we rarely see deer over the 2 1/2 yr old range. I have been hunting more mobile than yrs past and last year set up during the rut in some thick stuff an saw a buck that I would guess to be older than that but those encounters are pretty rare.

In the central part of the state the public I hunt has a lot of pressure but I learned just last night there are some good bucks around. I shined a ton of deer on the public and close by including 4 or 5 really nice bucks including a few that would go P&Y. I am still fairly new to killing big bucks and hunting beast style and all that stuff so my standards are still fairly low. Going into this season my goal is a 2 1/2yr old buck on the public. I may hold out a bit on one piece of private I have to hunt where I know there's a bigger buck running around.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 am

The few chunks I hunt I've averaged seeing at least one buck 160+ a year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:25 am

Realistically I should be able to get on something in the 120-130 range but I might only get 2 or 3 chances a season. Without beast tactics my chances of getting on nice deer would be very low. There are bigger deer out there on some of the public ground I hunt but they are pretty rare to come by. Some public land I hunt might only hold a high scoring buck once every 5 or 10 years it seems, if I don't get on him that season the chances of winter, wolves, or rifle hunters taking him out are high and I have to start over again.

I do think with more scouting and time in the woods my opportunities and size of the bucks I see and shoot can grow as I put more work into it. Growing up hunting public land has not been easy but the future is so bright I have to wear shades. 8-)
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:20 pm

I would say that here in Wisconsin I have a crack at a 120 or up. But i will probablysettle for aa 2.5 year oold. On my big woods UP hunts im looking for a 2.5 year old or bigger. Alot of 4.5 year olds don't go 120 up there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:34 pm

If I see a 100+ inch buck, that is a great and rare experience on the public land I hunt. Part of that is the place I hunt, and part of it is my current abilities and time to hunt (or lack thereof).
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:46 pm

I usually see 1 or maybe 2 bucks that would go over 100" in my publics areas. And usually during the rut I'll eyeball usually one 130 " + buck in some oddball area tending a doe .
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 pm

I've seen 150" plus bucks on the public I hunt. I know someday I'll be able to get a crack at one. Right now I'm just learning.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:42 am

150" and up
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 am

Where I hunt in N. Wis and N. Minn I expect to see a couple 130-150" every year and occasionally a 150 plus. Usually a lot of hours put in for those sightings but sometimes see all of them the same day. Just never know which day it will be.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”