What Do You Call Home While Hunting Public Land?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What do you call home while hunting public land?

Total votes: 0
keb
500 Club

Re: What Do You Call Home While Hunting Public Land?

Unread postby keb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Tent, cabin, hotel , truck shell, I prefer to tent it, I like the solitude and quietness.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Normally i stay at my house because all the public is within driving distance, but we just got a pop up camper that will serve dual purpose come hunting season if I go to places further away. I am thinking of having my brother make me one of those t shapped game hoist that would fit in my receiver hitch, that way I have a way to hang my kill and skin and cut it up easier, and I could just lay it on top of the pop up and ratchet it down and put it in my receiver hitch if needed. I can also fit a canoe or small jon boat on top of the roof as well so it will work great for getting accessory items wherever I need to go as well.

On a side note, when you take the campers or tents out, where do you normally stay, it seems like almost all the public in Wi has signs saying no over night parking or camping etc. If you stay at a state or county park a lot of campgrounds as well so that would make it nice, but what about the spots that don't?
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:13 pm

I have knocked on doors and got permission to camp by old barns, home places ect, when the spot has no camping on it or near it. Most will let you, I offer to pay them the same a campground would charge, with that pop-up all you need is a generator and a zodi portable hot shower and its on.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:19 am

No public anywhere near me. Hour and fifteen minutes to a couple small areas that get heavy pressure. I just drive those. The other public is about 4 hrs away and I had a camper for a couple years but the squirrels and mice used it more than me. Sold the camper and made a profit and bought the Cabelas 12x20 outfitter tent with wood stove. Its nice but a lot of work to set up and tear down for a two or three day hunt. I like those truck bed campers but have not found any that are reasonable. They seem like a good mix between ease of set up and comfort. The tent gets to be a pain when it rains and you have to dry it out when you get home.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

GRUD wrote:No public anywhere near me. Hour and fifteen minutes to a couple small areas that get heavy pressure. I just drive those. The other public is about 4 hrs away and I had a camper for a couple years but the squirrels and mice used it more than me. Sold the camper and made a profit and bought the Cabelas 12x20 outfitter tent with wood stove. Its nice but a lot of work to set up and tear down for a two or three day hunt. I like those truck bed campers but have not found any that are reasonable. They seem like a good mix between ease of set up and comfort. The tent gets to be a pain when it rains and you have to dry it out when you get home.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I've tried a lot of mobile camps too. Did you see Tim's post (G3's) on his set up? I like it, weather and bear proof, with the generator it supplies light and heat, the quadrunner and all gear are inside...

Here's a link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2368&start=45
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am

We have actually slept on a strangers garage floor one year. Dude was cool as a cucumber! We met him he asked where we were staying... at the time it was a hour and half drive from where we were hunting. He said shoot come to my place and stay in the garage. He had a wood stove in there. Became very close friends with him and his family. We ended up building a cabin up there that was nice and comfy! Used it for two years before they had a terrible fire that ended up claiming our cabin as well as two of their huge barns! Sad for sure for the family.

We now are fortunate enough to have a 32 foot camper. I have never been into camping etc.... and I can tell you that thing is like the cats meow!!! Almost too nice on those cold cold mornings. Make you want to stay tucked in the sheets :)
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 am

Started out tent camping in the late "70's. Then did cheap motels until I found a resort owner who gave me a great deal to stay in a lake cabin for the 2 weeks before gun season. Then I started hunting Minn, and it was back to tent camping but with cot, table, Big Buddy Heater, it isn't all bad. Plan on getting the lake cabin this year after a 5-7 day tent hunt in Minn. Almost forgot, had an old truck camper for several years in the 80's.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Use the tent, got a piece of carpet indoor outdoor and out in it, table ,buddy heater, cot ,rigged up battery powered lights, the tent I have is a ascend base camp 6, got it at bass pro for around 400 and some change, it has a built in extra room on the front to store gear,cook, ect. It has two doors, its slick. I use a zodi propane hot shower each night before lights out, and use wet wipes in the morning. I really enjoy it.

It's as good or better than a pop-up in, my opinion after having used both, more room and a lot cheaper.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 pm

keb wrote:Use the tent, got a piece of carpet indoor outdoor and out in it, table ,buddy heater, cot ,rigged up battery powered lights, the tent I have is a ascend base camp 6, got it at bass pro for around 400 and some change, it has a built in extra room on the front to store gear,cook, ect. It has two doors, its slick. I use a zodi propane hot shower each night before lights out, and use wet wipes in the morning. I really enjoy it.

It's as good or better than a pop-up in, my opinion after having used both, more room and a lot cheaper.

This sounds like I rig I would love to have, I like the idea of having a generator though. I know of several old abandoned barns close to some of the areas I hunt. That would be the ticket right there!
May have to save my pennies for when im away from the camper :)
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:29 pm

When I lived and hunted in Fl. I would move into a tent on public land campground and live there from Oct. through Jan. deer seasons and same for March spring gobbler season.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:49 pm

hoyt wrote:When I lived and hunted in Fl. I would move into a tent on public land campground and live there from Oct. through Jan. deer seasons and same for March spring gobbler season.

hoyt, that is righteous! i'm betting those memories never go away. 8-)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 pm

I've stayed at a friends house once. Other than that, I always hunt from home on the nearby land around.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm

I take one of my old tool trailers, a generator, an air mattress, a couple floor lamps, and a few electric/ceramic heaters. Works great and gets you in as deep as you want to go...works great to keep you stuff dry to and from camp and while you are there.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 am

Since moving to S. Il. I call home home when hunting public land. I didn't crank the truck up once last season to go hunt, just walk to my spots on public land. However, I need to look around and see if I can find some really good buck sign and spread out more.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”