Pop up camper hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
keb
500 Club

Re: Pop up camper hunting

Unread postby keb » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 pm

I to use a tent with a buddy heater and have a zodi hot shower, I really enjoy the camping gettin away. I found I hunt alot longer and harder since there is no warm bed an tv calling me back to camp.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I either tent it, motel, or sleep in the truck. Never used a camper.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Wow Zap, that's like the Taj Mahal of campers.

Some great roughing it techniques. I had a pop up camper up until last year. It was in my garage in the UP. Sold it to my cousin from MN, or I would be interested in that trade.

I think a popup would work great in your situation, I would pull down some 2 track in the UP and up it would go in a few minutes.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Brad I have an idea for you. I think if you bought a couple sheets of foil faced 1-1/2" x 4 x 8 foam board and cut it to fit inside at the canvas ends that you could stay warm in a pop up. I often thought of doing this when I used a pop up.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:32 am

I like your set up Zap!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:11 am

sweet set up, Zap!! 8-)

My greatest pop-up adventure: in my twenties, got out of work the day before the gun opener and raced up the highway (by myself) with my pop-up camper. All the way to the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Got to the powerline i wanted to set up on about midnight, dog tired. I lit a gas lantern and set it on the floor of the pop up camper. being tired, after rolling out the sides of the camper i forgot to put down the support jacks for the canvas part. I had detached the camper from my truck... while setting it up i got way out on one end and the whole camper tipped down to the ground... my lantern blew up and lit the camper on fire. With heavy smoke and no light I couldn't see a thing and inhaled a lot of smoke and noxious burning material gases. While avoiding the fire i finally found the door and rolled out onto the ground, coughing and trying to catch my breath. The pop up was a disaster, and after inspecting it I decided to head for home. I would have to spend opening day hunting close to home, my plans were ruined....

But wait... it gets better!

While trailering the pop up camper home in the middle of the night, a six point buck leapt out in front of me while running all out and on a perfect collision course with me. The buck slammed into my grill and.... to make a long story short totaled my truck. The tow company (3a.m. or so) winched my truck and pop up onto a huge trailer and drove it all to my driveway... guess i got my buck after all. quite a night, won't ever forget it!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:01 am

Singing Bridge wrote:sweet set up, Zap!! 8-)

My greatest pop-up adventure: in my twenties, got out of work the day before the gun opener and raced up the highway (by myself) with my pop-up camper. All the way to the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Got to the powerline i wanted to set up on about midnight, dog tired. I lit a gas lantern and set it on the floor of the pop up camper. being tired, after rolling out the sides of the camper i forgot to put down the support jacks for the canvas part. I had detached the camper from my truck... while setting it up i got way out on one end and the whole camper tipped down to the ground... my lantern blew up and lit the camper on fire. With heavy smoke and no light I couldn't see a thing and inhaled a lot of smoke and noxious burning material gases. While avoiding the fire i finally found the door and rolled out onto the ground, coughing and trying to catch my breath. The pop up was a disaster, and after inspecting it I decided to head for home. I would have to spend opening day hunting close to home, my plans were ruined....

But wait... it gets better!

While trailering the pop up camper home in the middle of the night, a six point buck leapt out in front of me while running all out and on a perfect collision course with me. The buck slammed into my grill and.... to make a long story short totaled my truck. The tow company (3a.m. or so) winched my truck and pop up onto a huge trailer and drove it all to my driveway... guess i got my buck after all. quite a night, won't ever forget it!

Sounds like a Steve Martin movie........
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 am

Southern Man wrote:Sounds like a Steve Martin movie........

when it rains.....

that's what it felt like, being in a movie or the twilight zone, southern. I sure can laugh about it now... at the time i wasn't too happy about it!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:26 am

Your lucky to be alive after an incident like that. Long drive to the UP, surprised you didn't stick it out and sleep in the truck. Of course with that streak of bad luck(fire/hitting a deer) not like you had good odds of taking a buck with your gun.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:39 am

kenn1320 wrote:Your lucky to be alive after an incident like that. Long drive to the UP, surprised you didn't stick it out and sleep in the truck. Of course with that streak of bad luck(fire/hitting a deer) not like you had good odds of taking a buck with your gun.

definitely should have stuck it out... it would have saved my truck, for one thing. i think it was my destiny... I'm gonna go with that :lol:
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:49 am

Here is what I just upgraded to this year. We were using a standard summertime dome style tent with a blue tarp for wind protection. This new tent is 9x12(12 wide on door side, 9 foot front to back) and made of canvas. Its not a super heavy duty canvas like you see the outfitters using, but the price was right and will be perfect size for 2 hunters, or my family for summer camping. Again we don't use heat all night, just fire up the buddy heater about 5min before we get up. As I get older, I might look at the cost of having a stove pipe hole sewn in this and getting one of those small wood burners. At this point though, I don't see a need for one.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:15 am

What kind of tent is that looks nice? May look into one if the price is right.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:16 am

Keb, its a pinnacle tent. http://www.pinnacletents.com/
I haven't put it up yet, but might do that tonight and sleep in it with the kids. :D The key to camping is a cot/closed cell foam pad/good bag! The last thing you want to sleep on in cold weather is an air mattress. They will wick the heat right out of your body. Plus with a cot, you get to store gear under it, taking up less space in the tent. Ill have to take pics this year of camp.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:49 am

Looks good post some pic when u get it up and how hard it is to set up.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:43 am

Bridge, great story about your pop up.

Keb good luck with the pinnacle
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”