Jim Edgar's Panther Creek

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

76chevy
500 Club

Re: Jim Edgar's Panther Creek

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:26 am

have heard the place used to be awesome, the latest I heard is that it's over ran with hunters who have read how awesome it is online...

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 am

Singleshot, did you end of having any success this past Fall at this park. I was out there with a couple of other guys in November for a week. Overall, we saw more hunters than deer. I drew a shotgun tag for deer this year, though. Been trying for many years with no luck. Probably will only bow hunt 1-2 days prior to the gun opener to scout.

There are still some decent bucks in and around the park, but the quantity and average quality of those bucks has decreased over the past 15 years. After some magazines had articles and hunting shows were filmed there it quickly was hunted hard by both non-residents and residents. Nowadays, they have restrictions during the pre-rut and rut to the quantity of non-residents allowed.

I got my best buck there on a nearly 80 degree November day in one of the rivers. This 14 point buck was swimming/walking down the river at 10:20 AM. One of the best strategies I have seen used is to stalk the CRP fields that are everywhere when the bird hunters are NOT out. Those big boys really like to hang out in the CRP when the woods begins to be over-pressured by the bow hunters. :shhh:
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:07 am

dan wrote:Andreas Illinois property borders that property... He caled me and told me I should shoot down to his place because there was a booner coming out on the public every day in the same spot and he thought I might want to shoot it. So I did. When I got there he showed me where it was coming out and I did a little scouting and found big tracks and sign where he seen it coming from across a river from private ground. There was not much for trees where the buck was coming thru but I found a tree growing out of the river that was small but I could get a stand up about 6 feet and be against a steep mud bank and shoot the buck as he crossed the river.
The plan was to ambush him the next evening. Then we went to Andraes cottage and talked about his hunting plan. He had a bunch of trail cam pic's of a huge typical buck that he was contiplating shooting and wanted my opinion on score, I thought it would go about 180 net despite a nontypical point. That was what he wanted to hear and he said he was going to shoot it the next morning and went out and bumped the buck from its bed... The next morning when I got back from scouting the buck was in the back of his truck! :shock:
He don't mess around! He shot it when it returned to its bed... Its the bump and dump buck from my Hill country bucks DVD... So anywho, he needed me to shoot pictures and video for shows and it started getting really late and I SAID i GOTTA GO IF i WANT TO SHOOT THE ONE DOWN THE STREET... So I left to get to the Edgar allen Panthar creek area at a spot where I had to be dropped off to get to the creek crossing. I was running about an hour later than I wanted too. As I got out of the truck I glimpsed a guy slipping into the woods where I was headed. When I got down there he was in a tree 45 yards from where the booner was crossing...
He waved me to go away and I did... He had beat me there. So now that my ride was gone I JUST WENT DOWN STREAM TO THE NEXT DEER CROSSING AND REGRETABLY SET UP... When I got done hunting I saw the guy looking around with a flashlight and went over... He said he shot the biggest buck he had ever seen crossing that river. He went on to say that everybody around was talking about the booner out feeding in daylight there and he had to take a try at him... He did not recover the animal. That was my one day hunting that public property...

Id say andrae owes you a booner, time to collect. :-). :-).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 am

Interesting story Dan.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”