What change are you making this season?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

What change are you making this season?

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:06 am

Every year after endless hours of pouring over articles/blogs/posts and after having numerous conversations with excellent hunters, I come up with at least one thing of value that I can add to my or a tactic that I will adapt to improve my success. This year it is early season water sources near buck bedding areas.

What is the one thing that you are going to add/change this season that you feel will have a positive impact on your season?

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: What change are you making this season?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:17 am

The biggest thing I'm doing different is I'm spending more time closer to home. This has actually been a 3 year process. I've been scouting and learning new land and I'm hoping that this will be the year that things come together for me. I love hunting the north but the distance really limits my hunting time. This will be my first year where I feel I have things set up and I'm feeling confident that my setups will produce. Time will tell.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:41 am

I want to pay closer attention to detail this year. I scored last year but I think my setups and scouting were kind of sub-par and I really think I can improve on that this year. I spent a lot of time in my older areas and really got to know them well to pinpoint bedding and stand locations for specific winds. I also did a much more thorough job scouting the new locations I found. Hurry up and get here mr archery season, only 78 days to go!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 am

I am going to try and be 100% mobile this year and change locations each trip. I think it will be a great learning experience as I tend to rely on my go to spots. I also have more vacation planned for this year than any other year of my deer hunting career. Most are half days of vacation focusing on evening hunts. Basically hunting every day from October 21st to November 12. I didn't get to hunt early archery at all because of a serious finger injury last season. I scouted hard this past spring, I have some dandy locations picked and am going to try and take full advantage of my time in the woods before the orange army arrives for the season.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:25 am

hunt harder and smarter
make all my set ups count
hutn my bedding ares when i only have the right wind
take no short cuts
do the work
get it done
did i leave anything?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:30 am

I plan on traveling more... I usually do well hunting areas near home I know well and still think that a good idea, but the deer population here on the public land sucks so I plan on going to where there are more deer on the free weekends.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:34 am

Have 4 out of state DIY hunts planned over 5 weeks. Hoping all the stars stay aligned and something doesn't change. New unit for CO elk hunt, doing a drop camp. Spending more time with our 2 birddogs, 4 yrs old and coming into their prime. Haven't hunted deer here in MI for quite a few years, talking to a couple buddies about muzzle migration hunt in the U.P. Have a plan on a particular buck in N. MN. that has outsmarted me for 2 seasons, will see.
Biggest change, working on rattling/calling sequences.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:55 pm

I just moved to a new area, because of this my major challenge is going to adjust to the new terrain type as well as trying to kill one blind, what I mean by this is I will cyber and long distance scout and use instincts to go from there. It will be difficult, but should be good.....

I will still hunt some of my traditional areas on the weekends, but look forward to diving into the new areas by my house...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Finally bought the 2 LW hang ons with sticks; hunting the bluffs of MN during pre-rut; filming solo and with my bro
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:49 pm

I am going to get a bowkill on film.
I am going to part ways with ALL the pixie dust and get rid of all the gimmicks I bought in the past and use the money towards hunting and scouting new public land spots, primarily in the bigwoods.
I am going to plan EVERY set I make according to the wind.

I am contemplating parting ways with all my ladder stands and permanent hang ons as well.

My main goal is to get within bow range of a deer 3yrs or older on public land.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:53 pm

I am going to make sure I follow through with everything I learned from post-season scouting and trust my instincts to put more focus on hunting bedding/staging areas that I know exist. Last season I increased my mature buck sightings drastically when I stuck to my plan and only hunted certain spots only if the wind was absolutely perfect.
I guess killing one of these bucks is the main change I want to make this year since I did actually have one of my best seasons ever even though I didn't kill a buck.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm going to put more effort into September and early October on the right moon phase days. Getting on the bucks before the pressure starts.

My buddy got a trail cam photo of a great buck last wednesday morning, 7am / 7pm moon phase, going back to his bed.

It seems to me the deer are much more predictable early in the season.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 am

Grud,

I have been a die hard "rut" hunter and haven't really taken the early season seriously in the past due to hot weather and bugs. That is why I am trying to give a serious effort to the early season water holes near the buck bedding areas. I may even do some mid-day sits on the hottest days in early October and see what happens. Let you know what happens!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 am

This will be a very tough year for me in terms of available time to hunt. New job on the horizon will have me busy as all get out from July-December. I will be able to hunt most Saturdays and some holidays. A big change for me is I am very confident in my recurve shooting. Last year being a newbie trad hunter I was not. This year I have proven to myself that I am ready to kill something within 18-20 yards.

Due to not being able to hunt very much this year, I am becomming even more aggressive. I will be able to hunt in December for the first time in many years due to a work schedule change. I am extremely excited to getting back to late season hunting. I love December hunting.

I may even try to knock on a few doors to and from my new job. I have never asked anyone for permission to hunt private land. I just feel guilty about it for some reason. I scouted hard in January and February of this year, located some buck beds and I am going to move in the first chance I get in October. KILL!

oh yeah....for the first time in my life I might try to make some mock scrapes in some heavy cover areas that link buck and doe bedding. Refresh it once a week or so and see what happens. I learned some great knowledge speaking to another big woods public hunter in regards to mock scrapes and marking over existing scrapes. I may give it a go as a stand by technique.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am

publiclandhunter,

Every deer on my wall was killed in early season. I really like the way they look with their summer coat. Have not gotten a velvet buck yet but Id like to, they just seem to shed it before our opener. My highest scoring deer was killed on Sept 26th on an early evening moon phase, shot him about 4pm in a light drizzle. When I walked out of the woods that evening another large buck was just standing in the field looking at me. I also like the early season because of the element of suprise and all of the foilage to hide in. It seems like the bugs are bad in certain areas but I have never had much trouble with them unless I hunt a swamp or near a lake. Then I just use spray or take a thermacell.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”