Branch out or condense?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Re: Branch out or condense?

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm

When I look back at my hunting past I have consistently changed main hunting areas every few years......sometimes due to increased pressure, lack of the deer I'm looking for, or changes in the woods setting itself, etc. Still, I didn't move on until I knew as much as I could about the area and how to take it on. Plus, I still can go back to these areas any time I want and sit the good spots that I found back in the day.

I've recently taken on a new area of public land and have been spending a ton of time trying to learn as much as I can about it. It all goes back to learning the best spots a particular area has and then continuing to hunt them in the future, but also moving on to find and learn new areas.

Bio1

Re: Branch out or condense?

Unread postby Bio1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:43 am

Good topic! I keep very good records on EVERY hunt I take and have for years. I Log every hunt immediately upon completion while it is fresh in my mind in an excel spreadsheet (actually in a GIS database but very similar) that I can sort on wind, etc. to help me pick where I am going to go hunt that day. When I find a buck I want to hunt I am sparing on the pressure I put on him and I do that by hunting good spots in other areas which keeps me in the game even though I’m not chasing that buck. When the wind I need to hunt that particular buck hits I slide in and hunt him from the tree(s) I prepped in the spring. Otherwise I am bouncing around hunting trees that have proven themselves over the years or are trees I have found cyber scouting or late winter scouting and expect to be good.

This strategy keeps all these spots low impact and fresh and producing year after year.

Lee

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”