Found a Gun

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Found a Gun

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 am

So a friend and i were out driving around a large peice of public land just checking out the terrain and looking for some spots to scout in the future. We pulled over on the side of the road to glass, and my friend mike spots a shotgun in the ditch right next to the truck! So he got out and saw it was an older camo Rem 870 12ga. in pretty good shape. We weren't sure what to do so we ended up calling the DNR and they told us to call the police. Soon after a sheriff met us at one of the parking lots and took the gun with all of our info. We figured maybe it was a turkey hunter short on sleep who just forgot it? or a poacher who through it out the window when a car was coming?? who knows, the gun was unloaded.
What do you think?

When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Found a Gun

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2011 9:21 am

Probably a turkey hunter set it down and forgot about it... Or and angry spouse tossed it out the truck window... Who knows?
I found a loaded .25 cal handgun laying in the parking lot of my townhouse on the North side of milwaukee around 20 years ago.. There was one in the chamber and the safety was off with kids playing nearby. Looked like it fell out of a car when someone got in or out...
About 30 years ago I found a shotgun that was ran over by a train along the railroad tracks. I figured someone put the gun on the tracks on purpose, but did not know why...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 22, 2011 11:49 am

Years back my dad found a very nice semi-auto Browning 12 gauge shotgun leaning up against a tree in the parking lot of a public hunting area. He contacted the police and a dnr warden and they told him if nobody claimed it in a set period of time that he could keep it. Kinda surprised by that but nobody reported missing it and it was then given to him. This happened about 15 years ago and I'm sure that it would be handled differently now.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a late uncle who was hunting in the north woods back in the 60's or 70's and shot a big buck that was running right at him and he ran out of bullets and tried hitting the deer over the head with his gun as it ran by and got the sling caught in the antlers... The buck ran off with his gun. He went back for tracking help from the rest of the party and it was snowing so hard that all the tracks were covered... The next day after the snow stopped they searched and found the big buck field dressed and hanging in a tree where it died, with his gun hanging in the tree next to it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 22, 2011 3:40 pm

dan wrote: The next day after the snow stopped they searched and found the big buck field dressed and hanging in a tree where it died, with his gun hanging in the tree next to it...

Either that was one heck of an honest hunter that found the deer or the opposite and he was out looking for help to drag the deer out. Surprised the gun was still there.
Can't imagine what the guy thought when he found a gun in the bucks rack!! :lol: :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

As the story goes, they think the guy shot the buck shortly after my uncle and saw all the blood and new someone would be looking for it... Honest guy. But I bet he came back and made sure my unkle took it.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 am

I find the whole story a bit hard to believe Dan. :roll:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon May 23, 2011 2:31 am

:shock: crazy story... when the guy saw that buck coming with the gun in his rack he probly thought "this must be the first rebel deer to make a stand against the gunhunter's!"
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm

kenn1320 wrote:I find the whole story a bit hard to believe Dan. :roll:

Well, I wasn't there... Thats as told to me by my father and uncles. But I believe them.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Wish I could find a gun besides at the gun store. Went in there today and told them what I wanted and they said $900 without the scope.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 pm

dan wrote:

Well, I wasn't there... Thats as told to me by my father and uncles. But I believe them.

My grandfather was a heck of a hunter ,he shot many deer with his longbow. I asked him one day ," Grandpa why did you stop bowhunting? " he turns to me and says " Well the last deer I ever shot was laying there about to die when he lifted his head and stared me in the eyes,and said. " What did I ever do to you ?" Grandpa said that was it he could never pick up his bow ever again.That was when I was much younger,so I asked him a few years ago about the story .But he still swears it happened .
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Swampthing wrote:
dan wrote:

My grandfather was a heck of a hunter ,he shot many deer with his longbow. I asked him one day ," Grandpa why did you stop bowhunting? " he turns to me and says " Well the last deer I ever shot was laying there about to die when he lifted his head and stared me in the eyes,and said. " What did I ever do to you ?" Grandpa said that was it he could never pick up his bow ever again.That was when I was much younger,so I asked him a few years ago about the story .But he still swears it happened .

The deer spoke to him? :shock:

The first deer I ever killed with my bow lived for awhile and when we caught up to it I had to cut its throat. Replaying that in my head and watching the deer die like that and his eyes which were staring at me roll back in his head I could see how a guys imagination could make crazy stuff like that happen...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Smoked'em

Unread postby Smoked'em » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:24 am

A good friend found an old Belgium made 22 in the attic wall of his house during renovations; this was in West Allis. Lucky dude, but makes a guy wonder why a gun would be hiding in the walls. LOL, he also found a box of rubbers from very long ago in the ceiling tile of the basement in the same house.

Did the deer speak to him? I'm sure his grandfather was speaking more from his conscience. I'm sure all of us have seen the faces of death in ways we'd rather recant then recount.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I know I quit laying any hunting things..guns, bow, camera, etc. on the top of my truck cab. I was shooting at the range one day and when I got through I laid my scoped, S&W .44mag. Classic DX on the top of the cab, then turned to talk to someone, got in the truck and drove off.

I was going down the hwy about 70mph when the thought hit me..."Where's my gun." I pulled over slowly reached up and it was still there.

Same thing happened with a $600 camera, only it fell off when I pulled out of the woods. Didn't miss it till I got to the tent. It poured down rain all night and when I got back to the spot before daylight there it lay. Don't know how I missed running over it as I turned around in the parking spot.

So I don't lay nothing on top of my cab anymore...not even for a second..cause I'll forget it.

dhunter1

Unread postby dhunter1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 pm

did the exact same thing years ago, found a shotgun laying just of the dirt road, what I am pretty sure happened in my case & probally yours also someone was spotlighting & the game warden or someone scared them & the shotgun got chunked out the window. IMO.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”