Others scouting now

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Others scouting now

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:47 pm

OK, so on my way to soccer, I pass some state land that has marsh ground by Hamburg Mi. I was hoping to get in there and do some scouting, but lately have been seeing a car or two parked there recently. My first thought is, must be another Beast hunter. Anybody heading out there now most likely is a serious hunter. Do you guys ignore others and play your own game, hoping they dont find what you do? Any of you reading this happen to be one of the guys over there? :lol:

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Beason
500 Club

Re: Others scouting now

Unread postby Beason » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Sometimes ppl park in public land to just walk their dogs, etc. It's not always been deer scouting in my experience. I do what I gotta do and if someone else is there, so be it. I'm from MN.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 pm

jack_4mn wrote:Sometimes ppl park in public land to just walk their dogs, etc. It's not always been deer scouting in my experience. I do what I gotta do and if someone else is there, so be it. I'm from MN.

Jack might be on to something could just be some people with cabin fever. They had the itch to get out and with it getting nicer they are finally getting out. If they are in there scouting work around them if all the human sign is going to one or a few places take the paths less traveled I'd think the deer would show up those out of the way un noticed spots.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Turkey hunters?
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Yup, 1st season turkey starts 4/18 here in MI.

Also starting to see more people out around here, with the warm days the first of the morels are starting to pop up, always puts more people in the woods.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 am

I commonly see an influx of people on public land at this time of the year in lower Michigan. In one of my spots I have a guy walking his german shepherd every day... lots of guys scouting for turkeys right now too. The morel hunter numbers are just beginning, it will increase by swells over the next month.

kenn1320 wrote: Do you guys ignore others and play your own game, hoping they dont find what you do?

With the hunting pressure I have around here, there are a FEW serious hunters out scouting and prepping for deer. If one of them discovered a bedding area I am interested in hunting, their sign is always very evident (tracks, tree's being prepped, entry and exit trails, etc.) and I adjust accordingly. In high pressure areas I believe a big mistake is being made when serious hunters do little to cover their OWN SIGN of being in particular areas of the woods. When you figure out the reason you have lost a spot or two to others is because of this, it will motivate you to take precautions.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:15 am

I think you just have to do your own thing and find the best spots you can, like others said they might not be there for deer. If you do run into other deer hunters scouting you might have some extra work to do to try and see what they are up to and work around them to anticipate how a buck might react to their pressure. I really feel 99% of the time you are not going to find someone as dedicated as you are.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:58 am

kenn1320 wrote: Do you guys ignore others and play your own game, hoping they dont find what you do?

I just go do my thing. I did avoid an area the other day because there was a car parked there and I figured he was turkey hunting. I had other places to scout. I'm not too afraid of others finding my spots because most people won't go to the places I do. If your a public land hunter you have to take it as it comes. You are going to lose spots all the time. Thats why it's important to have a lot of options.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:12 am

Guys I have not walked this area, just been driving by it lately and now noticing it cause of Dan's techniques. I jumped the gun thinking the activity was some die hard deer hunters. There is only room to park 1 vehicle at this location and all you see from the road is a few small tree's and wetlands. Just down from there 1/4 mile or less is a beat down people path going back in the woods. I assumed people parking by the swamp were guys scouting the swamp. However aerial photo's reveal a walking path leads to both parking places, with the one by the swamp being the best defined by the state game area. While they could be scouting, their location relative to those paths could easily be them just going for a walk as others suggested. Had that trail not been there, I would say no person in their right mind would just go for a walk thru that stuff. The aerial photo doesnt show any obvious points jetting out into the swamp, and anything that shows on the topo is all on the east side. Am I to assume any bed found along this N/S transition line is only used on an easterly wind? I need to get some waders/hip boots and just start making some tracks!
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Make sure you wear blaze orange accordingly if scouting. Some public land hunters are less skilled than others!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”