Public land squatters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Masterblaster

Public land squatters

Unread postby Masterblaster » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Why are there so many daggone ladder stands all over the place. It’s ridiculous.

Drich

Re: Public land squatters

Unread postby Drich » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:48 pm

People get comfortable leaving their game cameras out and figure that a stand isn't much different, it just doesn't take pictures.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:52 pm

Ladder stands are cheap and easy to climb. Hard to carry out. Not worth their time and money to bring one back out so they turn into trash. Call the warden he will take them down. Yeah right, not here
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:35 am

At least the ladder stands tell you where not to hunt.
Someone drug them way back onto public and won't even move them to a better spot or take them out.

I kinda like them being their since it gives valuable intel on where I shouldn't sit. One in about a hundred is in what was once a good spot before it was over hunted.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:49 am

Pure laziness by slob hunters. Most i find are also accompanied by trash littered around the base of it as well. Just trashy people in general if they’re too lazy to haul their junk out AND they litter out there.
Lowcountry

Unread postby Lowcountry » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:35 am

Watched a guy last year in August(in SC the hottest place in the world) carrying a ladder stand down the road, I was scouting. I Came back the following weekend and he had it maybe 20 yards off the road in plain view. I don’t get it.
nchb

Unread postby nchb » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:53 am

Lowcountry wrote:Came back the following weekend and he had it maybe 20 yards off the road in plain view. I don’t get it.

Many people are absolutely terrified of being in the woods in the dark. He probably “needed” to be able to see the road so he would get lost.
Lowcountry

Unread postby Lowcountry » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:13 am

nchb wrote:
Lowcountry wrote:Came back the following weekend and he had it maybe 20 yards off the road in plain view. I don’t get it.

Many people are absolutely terrified of being in the woods in the dark. He probably “needed” to be able to see the road so he would get lost.

That’s probably it lol.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 am

Lazy people.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:33 am

Lowcountry wrote:Watched a guy last year in August(in SC the hottest place in the world) carrying a ladder stand down the road, I was scouting. I Came back the following weekend and he had it maybe 20 yards off the road in plain view. I don’t get it.

I had a small mature white oak grove on a small bench that I used to hunt the edges of and I did well there for many seasons.

One season a guy I didn’t see first saw me after I just came down and must have gone up there to check out where I had been. Next time I was up there I found three hang ons hung one stick high in the center of the oaks. They were all hung within 50’ of each other. I would have needed to duck to walk under them. Must have been afraid of heights.

Killed that spot deader than dead.

Telling this story reminds me to check that spot again. I’m sure that he has moved on.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Masterblaster

Unread postby Masterblaster » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:58 pm

I’m in the South central PA mountains. I’d just rather not look at rusting junk in the mountains all the time.
Trail

Unread postby Trail » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:12 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Pure laziness by slob hunters. Most i find are also accompanied by trash littered around the base of it as well. Just trashy people in general if they’re too lazy to haul their junk out AND they litter out there.

I've noticed this as well. If I find a stand left in the woods it's nearly always accompanied by a pile of beer cans or other trash left beneath it.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:41 pm

I pulled a stand off federal today. Known of it for yrs and def never been hunted in I’d say a decade or more. it had killed the tree it was in. Tree was 2” bigger in diameter than where the strap was. Seat was rotted off. Branches were grown around the rope.

I said screw it, I’m hauling this thing out and I’ll put a seat on it and put it up behind my house. It’s tweaked but still usable.

I’m Going Green, repurposing it
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:15 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:At least the ladder stands tell you where not to hunt.
Someone drug them way back onto public and won't even move them to a better spot or take them out.

I kinda like them being their since it gives valuable intel on where I shouldn't sit. One in about a hundred is in what was once a good spot before it was over hunted.

Dont be too sure, lots guys out there putting a $35 garage sale stand in there favorite spot hoping it will scare everyone else away.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:46 am

I respect my fellow hunters. I try not to bother, or screw up the other hunter. Here is my rules. When I find a stand, knowing it's being used, I let the hunter have it. HOWEVER, if you leave it up after season, the next year for that area, all bets are off. You can not dominate a spot. Otherwise buy your own land......... those of us who are truly mobile, you never know where we hunt, because we leave, and leave no sign

I hardly ever, and if so very subtle cut shooting lanes. I can go into areas, and look around, and without seeing a stand, know someone is hunting there, by what they cut etc

To be a Predator, you have to think like one, leave as little or no sign of your presence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”