South Carolina Sandhills State forest

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

South Carolina Sandhills State forest

Unread postby Seeker529 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:20 am

Looking into traveling to South Carolina to try my hand at a velvet hunt… I was thinking about the Sandhills state forest area. I have never hunted outside of NY state and really have no idea where to start or what to look for! Has anyone ever hunted there? Is there good deer populations? What key features or things should I try to locate? If you wouldn’t hunt that area can you suggest any other? I appreciate all the help and any input given!

Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: South Carolina Sandhills State forest

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:41 am

Can’t hunt any state or wma land till sept 15th. So if you come down for the august opener you need private land. Also that area it is very common for guys to run dogs to chase the deer and get them moving. I don’t even bother hunting that side of the state anymore. I grew up in pa and gun pressure when they run dogs is about the same, except it’s from august till Jan 1st.

I will still chase pigs in that part of the state if I’m visiting family but the dog pressure is a real thing. Feel free to pm me if ya want sir.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”