Crossing Mucky Creeks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Crossing Mucky Creeks

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:18 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Depending on the width of it, but if there are downed trees in there, get some scrap wood and build a crossing off them. High water may be a problem, but if it's low- it may get you by for now. May run the risk of other hunters taking advanatage of it too, but if your on something good, you gotta take the chance. Also, run a rope from one end to the other to hold onto for better balance, safety etc.

I once considered (in a very similar scenario, and near a dam), hiding a 2x6/2x8 nearby in the brush to cross a certain mucky spot. Didn’t end up doing it, wasn’t even sure on the legality of something like that. Very mucky/deep but not super wide.

That chunk of lumber could be hard to find or expensive to buy. If I went this route I’d go for used pallets and try to stomp them under the surface of the muck, or pick up 3-5 old fence boards from the roadside and try to make them work. Free is best if possible!

Pallets are a great idea

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:00 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Depending on the width of it, but if there are downed trees in there, get some scrap wood and build a crossing off them. High water may be a problem, but if it's low- it may get you by for now. May run the risk of other hunters taking advanatage of it too, but if your on something good, you gotta take the chance. Also, run a rope from one end to the other to hold onto for better balance, safety etc.

I once considered (in a very similar scenario, and near a dam), hiding a 2x6/2x8 nearby in the brush to cross a certain mucky spot. Didn’t end up doing it, wasn’t even sure on the legality of something like that. Very mucky/deep but not super wide.

That chunk of lumber could be hard to find or expensive to buy. If I went this route I’d go for used pallets and try to stomp them under the surface of the muck, or pick up 3-5 old fence boards from the roadside and try to make them work. Free is best if possible!

Pallets are a great idea

Hey wanna help me carry some pallets out in the marsh this fall? Only need enough to cover just under a mile. :mrgreen:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:08 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:

Pallets are a great idea

Hey wanna help me carry some pallets out in the marsh this fall? Only need enough to cover just under a mile. :mrgreen:

You bet :lol:
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:21 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:

We have some pallets we put out on a deep section of the marsh on our property. One year we got so much rain the pallets were floating. It was like a video game trying to hop from one to another, and keep your balance because if you just caught the edge of the pallet, the other end would flip up and in you'd go. So then instead, you are trying to fish the next pallet closer with your foot, while the pallet you are on is trying to rise behind you. Good times.

Other times I have crossed mucky creeks they weren't wide and I looked for a shallower place preferably where there was a log or limb at least to hang on to.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:13 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:

No way I would buy lumber for this unless it was my property, just find some scrap lumber or like you said some pallets and go form there.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:56 am

I’m thinking I might just cut up some logs or use some spare fire wood. Use the deer cart to haul them out. Pallet isn’t a bad idea either.
“You have to pay your dues”
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:40 am

I have used little kids kick boards and alligator straps to rig them like snow shoes. It works but ymmv, not sure about dragging a deer tho, may have to cross and then pull the deer across with a rope or just deal with it however you have to at that point…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:27 am

PK_ wrote:I have used little kids kick boards and alligator straps to rig them like snow shoes. It works but ymmv, not sure about dragging a deer tho, may have to cross and then pull the deer across with a rope or just deal with it however you have to at that point…

Not a bad idea. Might have to give that a tey
“You have to pay your dues”
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:04 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:

It was quite a while back - probably cheaper to buy your own property than that piece of lumber at this point :lol:
People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:06 am

Never tried them but these are supposed to work pretty well in muck.

https://mudderboots.com/

https://youtu.be/7jV5B2UIMAk
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:02 am

Dewey wrote:Never tried them but these are supposed to work pretty well in muck.

https://mudderboots.com/

https://youtu.be/7jV5B2UIMAk

They work amazingly well but dont last long and almost impossible to find instock for long periods of time.

Last time I found some instock on line, it was on a forestry supply website and I purchased 10 pairs.

I'm 6 foot 300lbs but naked, so 330 ish kitted out and it keeps me from going more then a inch to inch and half into our liquid mud bottoms in the marsh of Louisiana.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:03 am

I've been known to strategically place logs and limbs to use to cross mucky spots. I've also hidden hip waders in places to use crossing back and forth. Couple years ago I got some frogg togg hip waders on sale for $15, I should of bought 10 pairs :doh:
Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Unread postby Rich3006 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:53 pm

Cut 2 pieces of plywood in a teardrop shap about 1 foot wide and 2 feet long. Fashion some sort of strap on them so you can attach them to your feet like snow shoes. Take it slow and make each step as level as possible
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:36 am

Maybe try some styrofoam. Like working in freshly poured concrete. Two pieces of styrofoam, one for each foot, and keep moving one of them forward with each step.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”