First hunt in Arkansas

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

First hunt in Arkansas

Unread postby Rich3006 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:34 pm

Hey guys. I put in for the muzzleloader hunt at U of A pine tree wma. Should get drawn since it is usually a 100 percent draw. Does anyone know of a camp ground near by? Wanting to camp if possible. Haven"t hunted out of state since I was in the Army and am pretty excited. I will hunt somewhere during the Arkansas muzzleloader hunt regardless of if I get drawn for pine tree. Thanks for the help. Also does anyone know if there are hogs on that area?

austin1990
500 Club

Re: First hunt in Arkansas

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:16 pm

There is a campground and state park 10-15 miles east of the wma, that's only one I know of. Maybe something towards the bigger towns too. MZ season is mid October, it's usually still very warm, and being in the delta/farmland the skeeters and snakes will be out in full force. I've never hunted there, but I've planned on it, and several friends do. Theres decent deer numbers, just lots of pressure. And yes, there are hogs there.
Rich3006

Unread postby Rich3006 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:45 pm

austin1990 wrote:There is a campground and state park 10-15 miles east of the wma, that's only one I know of. Maybe something towards the bigger towns too. MZ season is mid October, it's usually still very warm, and being in the delta/farmland the skeeters and snakes will be out in full force. I've never hunted there, but I've planned on it, and several friends do. Theres decent deer numbers, just lots of pressure. And yes, there are hogs there.

Would I raise too many eye brows skinning a deer at the camp ground. I know that's a wierd question but I am coming from Missouri and have to have the deer quartered without head or spine before returning to Missouri?
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm

Rich3006 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:There is a campground and state park 10-15 miles east of the wma, that's only one I know of. Maybe something towards the bigger towns too. MZ season is mid October, it's usually still very warm, and being in the delta/farmland the skeeters and snakes will be out in full force. I've never hunted there, but I've planned on it, and several friends do. Theres decent deer numbers, just lots of pressure. And yes, there are hogs there.

Would I raise too many eye brows skinning a deer at the camp ground. I know that's a wierd question but I am coming from Missouri and have to have the deer quartered without head or spine before returning to Missouri?

Nah I doubt that'd be an issue. I've not been to that campground myself, but I have skinned deer in other campgrounds with no issue. You could ways do the skinning and deboning at the wma before even heading to the campground.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:22 am

Rich3006 wrote:Would I raise too many eye brows skinning a deer at the camp ground. I know that's a wierd question but I am coming from Missouri and have to have the deer quartered without head or spine before returning to Missouri?

Check their rules for carcasses but dont waste your time dragging if you dont have to. Since they changed the CWD rules here in MO , I started quartering them up in the woods and I honestly cant believe I have drug so many deer out... its so easy and quick.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:32 am

<DK> wrote:
Rich3006 wrote:Would I raise too many eye brows skinning a deer at the camp ground. I know that's a wierd question but I am coming from Missouri and have to have the deer quartered without head or spine before returning to Missouri?

Check their rules for carcasses but dont waste your time dragging if you dont have to. Since they changed the CWD rules here in MO , I started quartering them up in the woods and I honestly cant believe I have drug so many deer out... its so easy and quick.

If it’s a big bodied Brutus, They are way more fun to drive around with and show off if they aren’t in a cooler.

Every season I keep a couple plastic bags and a big enough backpack to pack one out in my suv throughout the season. I’ve thought about cutting them up afield multiple times and packing them out, but I know my buddies want to see them whole.

I will be there soon enough, but currently, I like showboating my kills.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Rich3006

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:37 pm

austin1990 wrote:
Rich3006 wrote:

Nah I doubt that'd be an issue. I've not been to that campground myself, but I have skinned deer in other campgrounds with no issue. You could ways do the skinning and deboning at the wma before even heading to the campground.

Do you have the name of the campground?
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:39 am

Rich3006 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:
Rich3006 wrote:

Do you have the name of the campground?

Village creek state park is to the east, has a campground and to the south theres delta ridge rv park, but pretty sure they have campsites too. Should be able to google and find some more options around Forrest city I'd guess.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:41 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
<DK> wrote:

If it’s a big bodied Brutus, They are way more fun to drive around with and show off if they aren’t in a cooler.

Every season I keep a couple plastic bags and a big enough backpack to pack one out

That is the only negative and I do agree. I always want pics at home and w my kid but after dragging a nice one out 1 mile in I wont do it again.

I would suggest pillow cases or sheets, they work great for me! I just wash them w baking soda and they are cheap. Also, if anyone is worried about bacteria - Cabelas sells a spray can for $10
Rich3006

Unread postby Rich3006 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:02 am

<DK> wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:
<DK> wrote:

Every season I keep a couple plastic bags and a big enough backpack to pack one out

That is the only negative and I do agree. I always want pics at home and w my kid but after dragging a nice one out 1 mile in I wont do it again.

I would suggest pillow cases or sheets, they work great for me! I just wash them w baking soda and they are cheap. Also, if anyone is worried about bacteria - Cabelas sells a spray can for $10

I emailed agfc to see if I can quarter it in the field. If that's ok that's what I will do.
Rich3006

Unread postby Rich3006 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:48 am

Also does anyone know if there is a point restriction at U of A pinetree
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:20 am

Rich3006 wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:
<DK> wrote:

I emailed agfc to see if I can quarter it in the field. If that's ok that's what I will do.

You can quarter in the field in AR, just have to have proof of sex with the quarters at most wma's. Not sure about pine tree, if they have a check station on sight, may have to carry them whole there. I'm gonna attach a link to the general regs for that place, should be some contact numbers as well. Pine tree also has no antler restrictions

https://www.agfc.com/en/zone-map/776/

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”