Lincoln County Wisconsin Public Land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jeremy Holden

Lincoln County Wisconsin Public Land

Unread postby Jeremy Holden » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:51 am

My wife and I are looking at buying a few acres somewhere and putting up a small "cabin". I've found a few parcels in Lincoln County WI and it seems to have a good amount of public, MFL open and the Chequamegon NF near by. I reviewed the deer survey on the WI DNR website it's reported to have a decent sized herd. But I've also heard/read about wolves being a problem in northern WI. I currently live in a NW suburb of Chicago that has dang near zero public, zero private land access and the county I'm in performs a baiting/sharpshooter operation for a few months during the winter. Needless to say I feel like anywhere is better than here. But I also don't want to go from worser to worse. Thoughts from anyone with first hand experience?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy Holden

Re: Lincoln County Wisconsin Public Land

Unread postby Jeremy Holden » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:52 am

I also meant to add I am a bowhunter along with my son. I don't own a rifle or muzzle loader and don't plan on buying one. Just my personal preference is all.

-Jeremy
CJEEE

Unread postby CJEEE » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:19 pm

Jeremy,

There is alot of public land whether it is Federal, state of local in northern WI. Yes we have a wolf problem, some area are worse than others like Lincoln County. The Chequamegon is very very thick. You will need a saw or some other tool to get through to scout/hunt. Likely not a good choice for bowhunting even with a stand. Mentally prepare yourself for lower deer numbers in alot of areas, but often it turns out to be worth the wait. It is tough hunting with lower numbers though.

CJ
Jeremy Holden

Unread postby Jeremy Holden » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:21 am

Thank you for the honest reply sir. I walked the property last week and it was extremely wet, not conducive to building. So, onward we go.

-Jeremy
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:37 am

How much do you have to spend? I have 7 ac. on the Flambeau River with a cabin on it. It is quite remote but the road ends right where my land starts. There is a reason I am selling it though. .
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:07 pm

CJEEE wrote:Jeremy,

There is alot of public land whether it is Federal, state of local in northern WI. Yes we have a wolf problem, some area are worse than others like Lincoln County. The Chequamegon is very very thick. You will need a saw or some other tool to get through to scout/hunt. Likely not a good choice for bowhunting even with a stand. Mentally prepare yourself for lower deer numbers in alot of areas, but often it turns out to be worth the wait. It is tough hunting with lower numbers though.

CJ

I find it interesting that the chequamegon is "very thick" in Lincoln county. I hunt a lot in the Chequamegon in Taylor county and it is the opposite, most of it has not been logged the way it should, so it is wide open and looks like a park in most areas.
CJEEE

Unread postby CJEEE » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Swedish,

What is the hunting pressure like in the area?

CJ

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”