wi public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

wi public land

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the topic when I searched. I might be moving to a new area in Wisconsin. What do you guys think is the best resource for finding MFL, FCL, and public land in Wisconsin?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: wi public land

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 am

The "All outdoors atlas" its available at www.scmaps.com
It shows all public and open MFL land and is an awesome resorce.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks Dan. That is what I was looking for.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 am

if you are in a specific county plot maps work pretty nicely too. Not as good as what dan mentioned but its nice because they show you who owns what. Most any papermill lands are in forestcrop and open to hunting. I know plum creek owns a lot of the northwoods and you can hunt their land....otherwise I also use the dnr website to find different small places to hunt. They have wildlife areas, habitat restoration areas and fishery restoration areas all listed and provide maps too. One of my new, favorite spots, is a public piece that is a fishery restoration area. Two rivers join to make one and that fork is all public land including the land between them. Its a sweet spot I would not have known about without the DNR site.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks for the info BackWoods!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Just another resource to throw out there for DNR land. http://dnrmaps.wisconsin.gov/imf/imf.jsp?site=webview

The satellite views are always the clearest, but it works well for finding areas and figuring out the boundaries. Also good for finding spots to scout.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 pm

fishlips wrote:Just another resource to throw out there for DNR land. http://dnrmaps.wisconsin.gov/imf/imf.jsp?site=webview

The satellite views are always the clearest, but it works well for finding areas and figuring out the boundaries. Also good for finding spots to scout.

I have used that wesite for several years now but then they switched the version so I couldnt use the topo maps which I was really upset about but then you showed me this version and it does have a topo option....Thanks fishlips!
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 am

scmaps.com is good but be careful it doesn't have all the open land on it. It's a good starting point but better to get the info from the DNR website to make sure. Plus the maps are only as current as the day they where published. The DNR updates there stuff every year. People take there land out of these programs all the time.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Guys I need help I got this book that shows public hunting land and forest crop land but I'm trying to find it on the dnr website to make sure its current and all that sort of stuff but I can't figure out how to find these properties on the website at all. Does anybody know how to find the fcl on the dnr site? Can you post a link? The previous link posted didn't help at all unless I'm just missing something?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 pm

dan wrote:The "All outdoors atlas" its available at http://www.scmaps.com
It shows all public and open MFL land and is an awesome resorce.

one thing abput the atils is its a good resorce but.......... i have found some things on there thats says its public realy isnt and i got yelled at one time and i told the guy and even showed him the book and he still was pissed so i left it at that and called the dnr and they said they made an honist mistake and they were sorry and that they weren going to correct the book when they got the chance :roll:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:06 am

After being in Iowa get ready for disappointment :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 am

Bucky wrote:After being in Iowa get ready for disappointment :lol:

Why do you think I went down to film Lynchpin in Iowa when I could have been hunting on my own in Wisconsin?! I can't wait to move back. I'm trying not to sweat the time.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:26 am

That reminds me. I checked out some MFL land last week. I don't think anyone is living at the farm house anymore. How do I know the parts of the farm that are open? There are 200 acres or so open, but the farm is bigger than that. Are there maps that show what is open and what isn't? I dont think my Sportsman's Connection atlas is accurate with what they mark.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Haus86 wrote:That reminds me. I checked out some MFL land last week. I don't think anyone is living at the farm house anymore. How do I know the parts of the farm that are open? There are 200 acres or so open, but the farm is bigger than that. Are there maps that show what is open and what isn't? I dont think my Sportsman's Connection atlas is accurate with what they mark.

Probably need to get someone from the local DNR to get involved or the landowner. If its crops and woods it's likely the wooded areas. The forest crop law is more about the trees than the tillable land the way I understand it. The landowner gets cheap taxes and then the DNR manages the property and comes in and logs part or all of the land when age of the stand of trees is right for harvest.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Thats what I always had problems with. Say you have a 100 acre chunk and it says you can hunt 30 of it. How do you know what 30 it is?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”