Practical Run and Gun bowhunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowkill00

Practical Run and Gun bowhunting

Unread postby bowkill00 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:25 pm

After trying to like saddle hunting for a few years, I've come to realize that a small, lightweight hangon and 12 silent approach steps is my end all mobile bowhunting gear. Cant beat how fast a hangon goes up and comes down. Seems like with saddle hunting I had all kinda crap to hang. I'll never go back. Thoughts?

Maverick1

Re: Practical Run and Gun bowhunting

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:51 pm

Sounds like you have found a system that works for you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:39 pm

I agree, alot of crap to hang... and I don't even know how I got so much lol
I used to be very minimal... stand, sticks, bow, range finder
Now... platform, back pack full of a bunch of junk, sticks, bow
I got to ditch the back pack for next season.
Dhumpy

Unread postby Dhumpy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 pm

bowkill00 wrote:After trying to like saddle hunting for a few years, I've come to realize that a small, lightweight hangon and 12 silent approach steps is my end all mobile bowhunting gear. Cant beat how fast a hangon goes up and comes down. Seems like with saddle hunting I had all kinda crap to hang. I'll never go back. Thoughts?

What do you feel are the pros/ cons with the silent approach steps vs sticks? I went back to a stand/ sticks for the same reason I was carrying too much crap that I didn’t even use.
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:55 pm

Dhumpy wrote:
bowkill00 wrote:After trying to like saddle hunting for a few years, I've come to realize that a small, lightweight hangon and 12 silent approach steps is my end all mobile bowhunting gear. Cant beat how fast a hangon goes up and comes down. Seems like with saddle hunting I had all kinda crap to hang. I'll never go back. Thoughts?

What do you feel are the pros/ cons with the silent approach steps vs sticks? I went back to a stand/ sticks for the same reason I was carrying too much crap that I didn’t even use.

I really like the speed of full length sticks with an aider. But I've got really quick with the silent approach steps and they're noticeably lighter than sticks.
dan3

Unread postby dan3 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:53 pm

I found this past year that my most enjoyable hunts were the ones that I brought nothing with me except my bow and my stand. I'm not sure if I could hunt mornings without coffee though.
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 pm

Totally agree, beast stand and 3 sticks. Tiny Fanny pack with range finder, bow rope, pack hook and a saw. I’m right around 16 pounds. My saddle backpack was 15. Not really much gained and far less comfort overall for me

6D9019F1-754A-4249-9540-680883598659.jpeg

Hard to get much more stream line to me. I think saddles have there place occasionally on quick hunts and using a ROS but when you’re carrying a 5 pound platform and all the accessories in a giant backpack I just don’t see the point
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”