Clear cut bedding

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Clear cut bedding

Unread postby Elite » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:35 am

This clear cut was finished in late spring 2020 according to HuntStand. With your help, I need to understand how bucks use clear cuts in the late season. You can see from the aerial that there’s an interior transition of trees they left alone.
I watched the big woods video Dan did so I understand that does will bed in it during the rut and bucks will travel it on the downwind side. In late season, however, do bucks usually bed wind to back (clear cut being at their back) looking downwind, and turn around to feed in the clear cut? Is 1.5 years after the cut too early to hunt it?

On a side note, there’s a swamp to the north I’ve never set foot in but have pins in spots I want to scout. To the left of the picture is a busy road. I’ve never set foot in this cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Clear cut bedding

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:15 am

I would strongly suggest you check this thread out...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39176-

Hope this helps, my friend!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 am

Any topos of the area?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:03 pm

headgear wrote:Any topos of the area?

I don’t like Hunstand’s topi feature but here it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:49 am

My experience is that all clear cuts are used differently. Depending on how thick they are, they could be just a food source. The thick ones where their is bedding I typically look for little openings inside the clear cut to hunt. You're a bit forced to do that because you cant chop shooting lanes. It leaves limited hunting options and I usually hunt them on the ground but they can be some fantastic deer hunting. Not many people have the guts to hang a tree seat on a 3" poplar and hunt a 15 yard opening but when you see deer in them, they have nooooo idea you're there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”