Hunting Hot Sign Criticism Needed

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Raptorman

Hunting Hot Sign Criticism Needed

Unread postby Raptorman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:54 am

Alright here is my issue. I scout with my stand on my back just skirting the areas that I have scouted in the winter/spring. Friday I got into an area early found scrapes and trails in the leaves that appeared fresh on the edge of a bedding area. I found a fresh scrape and a scrape that had leaves in it. I set up with them about 10 yards from my tree. Last 30 min I have 2 does come out but by the time they are in view and before I can hear them they are on top of me. ( No shot). Was blown out by the does.

Fast forward to last night. I let the area cool off over the weekend with the rain and poor weather. I snuck back in and hunted the down wind side of the same bedding area. From the opposite direction a 8 or 10 point came in which I could not hear due to wind and they are sneaky. It was the last 10 minutes of legal(less visibility) This deer came right up to my tree but again with under growth and limbs I had not shot.

My questions??? How do you go about picking the correct tree so this does not occur. Do you hunt within the sign or slightly off of the sign?

As far as the tree I like to have some cover around me so I am not easily seen but that cover becomes hard to shoot around. I was 3 sticks with aiders up in the tree.

Positives I took away! I can find deer. I set up quiet enough for them to not be disturbed. My confidence in my area selection is improving and I am seeing deer on purpose.

hcooper84

Re: Hunting Hot Sign Criticism Needed

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:59 am

One thing I have noticed with beast style of hunting is that I am bouncing around so much and not sitting in the same trees or location that I usually can get away with a tree that has a little bit less cover. The deer don't expect someone to be there as say in some other locations so I catch them off guard.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:15 am

All you can do is take a look at the sign and trails and make your best guess as to what is going to happen. Then select the best tree to get the job done. Anything that happens after that is… learning.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:28 pm

I try to set myself for a 15 to 20 yard shot. The tree will dictate where the stand goes tho.

You’re on em, try a tree w less cover so you can see and shoot.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:32 pm

I pick trees based on thermals.
Often its not the tree i prefer to set in.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm

Man you are doing great! Had you been able to hear better you would of smoked that buck.
Nothing to really add that’s not already been said.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:06 pm

You have to try to set up in trees where you will have shots to the anticipated trail, one thing I noticed from your post is both times you were basically right on the trail the deer came in on. Try to get off that a little bit. I will often times set up on the backside of a tree if it's too open and use the entire tree for cover. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:45 pm

Raptorman wrote:Alright here is my issue. I scout with my stand on my back just skirting the areas that I have scouted in the winter/spring. Friday I got into an area early found scrapes and trails in the leaves that appeared fresh on the edge of a bedding area. I found a fresh scrape and a scrape that had leaves in it. I set up with them about 10 yards from my tree. Last 30 min I have 2 does come out but by the time they are in view and before I can hear them they are on top of me. ( No shot). Was blown out by the does.

Fast forward to last night. I let the area cool off over the weekend with the rain and poor weather. I snuck back in and hunted the down wind side of the same bedding area. From the opposite direction a 8 or 10 point came in which I could not hear due to wind and they are sneaky. It was the last 10 minutes of legal(less visibility) This deer came right up to my tree but again with under growth and limbs I had not shot.

My questions??? How do you go about picking the correct tree so this does not occur. Do you hunt within the sign or slightly off of the sign?

As far as the tree I like to have some cover around me so I am not easily seen but that cover becomes hard to shoot around. I was 3 sticks with aiders up in the tree.

Positives I took away! I can find deer. I set up quiet enough for them to not be disturbed. My confidence in my area selection is improving and I am seeing deer on purpose.

Your to close to the trail and try to find s tree with less cover and let's you get a lil higher.

Most wont like to hear this but you really can get away with more movment when you get into the 20 foot and higher area.

I try too put my shot zones in the 25 to 35 yard area. Less shot angle and have more time too get into postion for the shot.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 pm

When you can be in the 15-20 yard range that’s about perfect to me. I pick whatever tree gives me the best shot opportunities to cover as much area as I can. Being hidden in cover is all well and good but the priority is shooting. Sometimes that’s going to put you in a tree that’s uncomfortable or sticking out like a sore thumb. Obviously if there is more than one tree that lets you cover all the shots that’s better suited you’ll take the better tree.

Sometimes you give it your best guess and you’re just wrong or the deer goes where you’re not expecting. Just the way it goes. You can be great at reading sign, doesn’t mean the deer is always going to do what the sign is telling you he has been doing. Get as close as you can, make your best guess and learn from your mistakes.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:54 pm

I've had problems picking the right tree in the past. There has been times where I wasn't sure which trail to set up on (ground hunting) and of course the buck uses the trail I wasn't expecting. He was 6ft from me eye to eye lol. If your getting that close you are doing something right. Picking the right tree can always be a gamble if there are multiple trails and they are to far to shoot to all of them. Sooner or later things work out. Sounds like your on the path to success!
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 pm

Good thread, I'm having similar issues picking out trees. It's always so thick and there's branches everywhere and I feel my only shot is like a 5 yard window in one direction.

Then I dontvhave faith the deer are going to come because I've walked on their trail.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:52 am

Another thing to consider is if you're having trouble finding THE tree in an area, dont force it. Try a ground set up.

Sometimes there really just is not a good tree. On your way in if you spot a good ground set up dont be afraid to try it.
Its good to have multiple different styles of hunting under your belt, makes you much more versatile
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:02 am

There is only 2 absolutes in deer hunting. The buck has to be there and you have to be there ready. How u divide that between scouting and hunting ultimately decides your fate.

Picking the right tree takes experience. It takes numerous times getting picked off and winded. Keep at it
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:41 pm

That’s just how it goes. Nobody is in the perfect tree 100% or the time. Actually hunting down deer like you are makes the close encounters a significant victory.
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:51 am

Find where you need to be then take your time evaluating. Check shot range, wind, anticipated thermal change, ground cover/ shot windows, the cover at stand level. I often loose my pack at one tree and ultimately pick it all back up and scoot over. If you have to make concessions because it’s the best/closest to where you need to be, have a plan for how to overcome the shortfalls. For example if there’s a thick funnel that won’t allow you reaction time, set yourself up in a way to get as early of a warning as possible and minimize your reaction time to shoot in that direction. For instance, you obviously don’t want to put your back to the thick nasty draw leading to that scrape with your hat pulled over your ears and bow on the opposite side of the tree with limbs all around it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”