Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:29 am

So I got a dandy 8pt on some public this year. I cant believe how many guys continue to hound me about what public I shot it on if I tell them I got it on public. I would never expect anyone to tell me where they shot their buck, yet I ran into lots of guys this year that kept asking what public I was on. I just kept saying it was on some public south of town,(which was a lie) & they would say well was it on xxxxxxx wma? I would simply say nope, then they would guess another piece. Most of these guys dont even hunt public, so I dont understand why they are so interested or why the make it seem like I should tell them. I usually end up saying if it makes you feel better I can tell you a lie. The one guy I lied to and said yep thats the public i shot it on, then proceeded to ask what road I was going in off of!!! lol Anyone else ever run into this, or do you just not let people know what you shoot? To me that is usually part of hunting is sharing success and failures of hunting season with other hunters that your acquainted with.

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Other hunters expecting you to tell them where you shot your buck

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:01 am

Yep. Lol.

It's unbelievable.

Got a text from my girlfriends mom the other day. She lives about an hour east of us.

"So and so that I work with is going to Ohio this weekend and wants to know where you killed your buck".

Uhmmmm. What?!?! Oh ya..here's there coordinates!

That's a guy I have never even met!!!

Guys like that...you could literally give coordinates to and it still wouldn't pan out for them.

Now if I post a pic and a guy says "hey I think I have pics of him...was it on xxxxx?". Maybe a little different. Show me the pics and if it is, we'll become friends because we're hunting the same stuff.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:06 am

I always tell them “ It’s the one with all the people on it. Way overcrowded. You don’t wanna hunt there. “ :D

I don’t make many friends though
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:22 am

People are nosy. They always want to know “what county”, “private or public”. It shocks me as well. I just can’t understand why people have to be so nosy. I guess they’re looking to move in on your spots and try to get a big buck for themselves.

The big antler craze is one of the few bad things about hunting in today’s world. It seems that some people will do anything for big antlers. The lack of good private land access just seems to compound the issue. There are a lot of people packed onto public lands.

A lot of the guys that ask these questions put in zero effort to scout and looking for a short cut. They don’t step foot in the woods outside of hunting season. That is completely okay but I’m not busting my tail off-season scouting to hand good spots over to you. If someone puts the effort in with me, I will share information with that person.

If someone asks where I killed a buck, I respond with a “don't make me lie to you”.

Like the forum motto “loose lips sink ships”, keep your real locations to yourself.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:53 am

I could tell you how to deal with those people if you want to give me the coordinates to where you killed that deer! :lol:
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:00 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:I could tell you how to deal with those people if you want to give me the coordinates to where you killed that deer! :lol:

thanks, Here ya go, lol!! 44.12817 N, -88.49898 W
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:04 am

Most people that ask those questions do not understand effort that it requires to make it happen. So, they think nothing about asking.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:22 am

I know a couple good hunters that shoot nice bucks will tell anyone where they got it. Maybe not the exact location but the area. They continue to shoot nice ones every year. Doesn’t seem to bother their hunting. Lol
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:39 am

Hawthorne wrote:I know a couple good hunters that shoot nice bucks will tell anyone where they got it. Maybe not the exact location but the area. They continue to shoot nice ones every year. Doesn’t seem to bother their hunting. Lol

Its not just the where, but the when and how too. Most can't put that together. Dealing with this with my current hunting tag alongs. They struggle to understand anything beyond knowing a spot. I would guess most new hunters start that way.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:47 am

There is a time to wait an a time to hunt. Lot of people will pick a spot because it looks like a spot where deer should come too. All to often they hunt it way to much. Lot times they will walk by a place that is best spot in area and not know it. Because they can not see a 100 yards.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:00 am

Don’t give in!!! Even if the guy is 100% private. All it takes is 1 conversation with a guy that does hunt public and your spot is ruined.

If they can’t respect that I want to keep my spots and deer to myself then I don’t respect them enough to ever let them know.

I really hate having to be so secretive, but I’ve seen what a few of the wrong guys can do to an area. If they want it they have just as much opportunity to scout as I do.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:16 am

If I were you, I'd tell them some random spot you don't want to hunt. Tell them if they get a deer they owe you some backstraps.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 am

If i dont want to tell them....then i just say "i would rather not say". No need to lie to them. If they dont understand that then who cares.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:37 am

Our Beast version of "spot" is not the traditional version as I understand it. Even a gun location is different than a bow site.
I would not give specific details of a kill site but a location that has 500 acres or more I might give a name. Would try reading a person but who knows how far the details go.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:48 am

Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Where did you kill your deer?

In the woods. :whistle:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”