bait debate

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: bait debate

Unread postby Zap » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:49 am

I would agree with Dewey, bait pile with a treestand and a trail camera over it is a very popular way to hunt........

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 am

Baiting will always be controversial...no matter where/when/how. The biggest thing we need to remember is to support the hunting endeavor - and quell the difference of opinions -period.

For example.....fly fishermen scoff the live-bait fishermen.....people who use dogs to hunt bear are ridiculed by those who sit bait.......etc, etc.

If each man chooses what they feel suits them best and then enjoys the time they spend at the chosen pursuit, then we should all be supportive of one another. Let's hunt for critters....not arguments within our ranks!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 am

Dewey wrote:The bad thing about baiting is that there is whole generation of hunters out there that only know how to hunt by using a baitpile and were never taught any actual hunting skills. If baiting would be banned in WI I have a feeling most of these people would quit hunting.
In my opinion baiting has ruined the future of hunting and I would like to see basic woodsmanship taught along with Hunters Safety courses so young hunters could be taught real hunting skills that can be applied to the field.

I couldn't agree more!!! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 am

publiclandhunter wrote:Baiting will always be controversial...no matter where/when/how. The biggest thing we need to remember is to support the hunting endeavor - and quell the difference of opinions -period.

For example.....fly fishermen scoff the live-bait fishermen.....people who use dogs to hunt bear are ridiculed by those who sit bait.......etc, etc.

If each man chooses what they feel suits them best and then enjoys the time they spend at the chosen pursuit, then we should all be supportive of one another. Let's hunt for critters....not arguments within our ranks!

PLH

X2, Amen to that!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:49 am

Dewey wrote:The bad thing about baiting is that there is whole generation of hunters out there that only know how to hunt by using a baitpile and were never taught any actual hunting skills. If baiting would be banned in WI I have a feeling most of these people would quit hunting.
In my opinion baiting has ruined the future of hunting and I would like to see basic woodsmanship taught along with Hunters Safety courses so young hunters could be taught real hunting skills that can be applied to the field.

Well said, Dewey
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 am

publiclandhunter wrote:If each man chooses what they feel suits them best and then enjoys the time they spend at the chosen pursuit, then we should all be supportive of one another. Let's hunt for critters....not arguments within our ranks!

Well stated, PLH- the problem is the Mich. DNR is throwing fuel on the fire by revisiting the issue and once again starting the controversy. In my view, just like making salmon snagging illegal, once the decision was made to outlaw baiting in the lower peninsula... That's it- done deal. What folly it is, not to mention irresponsible, to revisit this controversy that creates so much division within our ranks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

publiclandhunter wrote:Baiting will always be controversial...no matter where/when/how. The biggest thing we need to remember is to support the hunting endeavor - and quell the difference of opinions -period.

PLH

I agree... I am neither for Nor against baiting.
However, I think baiting is a trap for most. I think they get caught up in trying to catch a nocturnal visitor who makes a mistake and pretty soon the season is gone.
My point is that the hunter is robbing himself of the great pride and pleasure that comes from hard scouting and a deer that was out witted, and outmanuvered.

I am a smart enough hunter to realize that my ways are not the only ways to hunt. Peolpe hunt for differing reasons. Some hunt for solitude, some to spend time with friends and family, some hunt for meat, some for challenge. Some people live and dream hunting year round, for some its only a weekend or two... Some whant the biggest, oldest buck, for others every deer is a trophy.

Baiting? or no bait? I don't care either way, and support all hunters.
I certainly don't want to see an 80 year old man who can hardly walk be told he can't sit overlooking a bucket of apples on his own land...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 am

I have seen up to 640 acres of public land that was awesome hunting turn into a place you were lucky to even see a deer track because of dump truck loads of bait on nearby private land so I'm not to keen on the private land only idea. This is something that I have seen happen multiple times.

I hear comments like this in Wisconsin a lot... I don't know about Michigan,
but here in Wisconsin the law limets the amount of bait that can be used. A truck load of bait would be against the law.... Any body who breaks the law to that extent will not care if its illeagle to bait. He will bait anyway.
A law only effects those whom obay laws.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 am

dan wrote:I certainly don't want to see an 80 year old man who can hardly walk be told he can't sit overlooking a bucket of apples on his own land...

I knew a gentleman that fit that description to a tee... an excellent hunter with an incredible work ethic, he'd hunt from sun up to sun down every day while packing a lunch. That was the way he was introduced to gun hunting by his elders. With advanced age, he finally deteriorated to the point where he was only able to walk about a quarter of a mile to his hunting stand and not worry about making it back. His vision also failed him, but with binoculars and a scope he was still effective out to about 50 yards. Baiting in Michigan was legal then, and I happened to own property that was overrun with young bucks and even held a mature buck from time to time. I told the man that during gun season he would be doing me a favor if he hunted my property, as I traditionally went north with friends and family... I told him that I would certainly appreciate his presence on my land, its always good for the neighbors to know that there is at least one hunter out there. He agreed, and together we put up a log blind just under a quarter of a mile behind my house. We parked his quadrunner in my shed for the season, and he could easily follow the trail I had made to his blind with it- not to mention get his buck out with the quad. He managed to hunt six or seven more seasons, and took a buck every year- yes, he had bait out each time and it was really his only chance. When I'd return from up north, he usually still had the buck hanging in his pole barn. I always took the time to admire the buck and thank him for keeping an eye out on my property... it was a win / win situation.

Baiting is certainly not my cup of tea, but when legal it was an excellent option for the elderly hunter on my property.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I wish they would come to their senses someday here in WI!! :roll: At least ban it on public land!! If ya want to bait on your own land, go for it!

X2
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 am

You are spot on Dewey! This is basically what people told me to do when I first started bowhunting. Poor out some corn underneath your treestand and the deer come to you.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:07 am

Gardner Swamp wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I wish they would come to their senses someday here in WI!! :roll: At least ban it on public land!! If ya want to bait on your own land, go for it!

X2

x3
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 am

I honestly think you will see baiting allowed again in Michigan. Not neccessarily due to the demands of hunters....but the demand for revenue by the state. Yes, more kill tags sold, a possible "bait" permit and even more crossbow tags. Look out Wisconsin, we may be coming your way as non-residents to hunt once our herd is totally decimated in Michigan.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:20 am

I could less either way if it is banned or kept legal in WI. I am a baiter in the backyard and during second season bow. It works and it is legal; really shortens the lurning curve what is left after gun season to hunt. Why are food plots acceptable but not bait?

A see a few negative vocal posts about baiting in WI.......confusing part is some of these same posters baited for bear this season or placed small water holes out for deer hunting. Not trying to call you guys out but, what's the difference?

2 gallons of corn out on public land isn't going to drastically alter deer movement. I still run into guys that bait and just use it to your advantage when setting your stands.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 am

Look out Wisconsin, we may be coming your way as non-residents to hunt once our herd is totally decimated in Michigan.

Wisconsin is already pretty much bait free except for outlaws. With A bait limit of no more than 2 gallons within a 40 acre chunk at any time, it might as well be outlawed.
The part that I find humorous is that some people think that completly outlawing baiting in Wisconsin will somehow make the hunting better because rthey won't have to deal with large bait piles on adjacent properties.
I dissagree... Anybody whom is puting out the legal 2 gallons per 40 acres is not making an impact on the herd in my opinion.
Its the outlaws that dump large emounts that effect movments. Outlaws who disregard laws will not start following laws because there is suddenly a new one.
If there is someone near you breaking the law putting out large emounts call the warden. Let him handle those people.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”