Where do I start?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Will1029
Facebook: Will Britton

Where do I start?

Unread postby Will1029 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:12 am

Hello gentlemen,
I am a 44 yo hunter. I hunt exclusively on public land. I have been hunting for only 7 seasons, and quite frankly have pretty much picked random spots during the rut, sat all day and let the chips fall where they may. I am extremely motivated at this point to truly understand deer and deer hunting. My main question is what resources i.e. books videos articles should i be consuming this off season. I intend on spending the rest of the time between now and next season scouting heavily. I need a starting point however. Any recommendations or advice is welcome. Looking forward to this challenge and the pursuit of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Will

Moose
500 Club

Re: Where do I start?

Unread postby Moose » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 am

Get Dans bedding videos!!! Then watch his youtube channel and listen to his podcasts aswell. There is a ton of information out there. Being on this fourm is a tremendous help with alot of experience from all kinds of hunting styles. Also check out THP, Shane Simpson, cat man, DIY sportsman on YouTube. Like i said a TON of info but Dan's videos is a must!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:32 am

Also check out “All time best tactical threads” in the Deer Hunting section. Tons of great info between that and the videos. There is an unbelievable amount of info here. This site is a gold mine and full of awesome people with tons of valuable experience they’re willing to share.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 am

hunting_dad wrote:Also check out “All time best tactical threads” in the Deer Hunting section. Tons of great info between that and the videos. There is an unbelievable amount of info here. This site is a gold mine and full of awesome people with tons of valuable experience they’re willing to share.

THIS^^^^

All of the above
Ahepler2188

Unread postby Ahepler2188 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:33 am

Great questions, the hunting beast stuff is all great all of Dan’s DVDs are very helpful. A few books that I also found very helpful were:
Tony J Peterson’s Bowhunting Public Land Whitetails
This book was really awesome for tips, boosting your confidence, and solid info for a wide range of public land strategies. His podcast is Hunt for real podcast.

Brad Herndon, Mapping trophy bucks
This book is a really great start on learning terrain funnels and how to hunt them. It lays it out in very basic form and there’s a lot of good diagrams and pictures that are really helpful.

Steve Bartylla, big buck secrets
More to build your knowledge of diy hunting. Great read and helpful tips on finding overlooked areas.

Great Deer hunting podcasts where you can find a lot of DIY guys and good deer info:

Hunt For Real podcast with tony j Peterson

Truth from the stand with Clint Campbell

East meets west hunt podcast with beau martonik

Wired 2 hunt with mark kenyon

These all have TONS of good info

If you’re really digging into it make sure to have OnX downloaded. Or at the very least some kind of hunting based mapping app. Google earth is good for some things but it won’t get you what you need in the field.

Lastly, there are lots of ways to kill deer and lots of ways to kill good deer. No one persons strategy is going to work for everyone. Take all the bits of info you can the. Apply it to the area you are hunting and what works for you!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:19 am

I would say first you need to analyze what your goals are and where are you hunting. Are you hunting big bucks? Do they even exists where you are? How are the deer #s where your hunting?

If you have not killed very many bucks then you need to start killing bucks or at the very least having opportunities at bucks.

None of this information is new and can be found on here in various forms;

1. Do what no one else is doing. If everyone is hunting blinds or tree stands, hunt from the ground, hunt where other guys aren’t. It may be just a small 2 acre area that no one is hunting that can be awesome.
2. Hunt areas where it’s basically impossible to put a stand. This has changed my sightings on deer, it is completely obvious that deer are avoiding the woods during daylight because of hunters on stand, they feel safe in areas that people can’t hunt in trees.
3. Sign, sign, sign. Once you find the areas no one is hunting and you find the deer, the sign will help you narrow down your spot and get those deer in bow range.
4. Timing, each area heats up at different times so you have to figure out that timing, that can take years but that is where the sign can help you expedite the learning curve.
5. The most important is Bedding, obviously read and consume everything Dan has produced on bedding and start connecting the dots.

Nothing can substitute time in the field, and scouting is probably more important then hunting. It takes time to learn these public areas and they can change every year based on crop rotation, food source, and pressure.
Will1029

Unread postby Will1029 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am

Thank you for all of the replies. I have the hunt onx map downloaded to a smartphone just to be used as a gps. I believe "santa" is delivering Dan's dvds for Christmas. The strange thing is the level of motivation I feel. It truly bothers me on the lack of true understanding I poses about deer. I enjoy tournament bass fishing and have self taught some success. The problem I have with the hunting is the "why". Iam looking forward too seeing this play out. As far as the gentleman who asked about goal/expectations. Simple.. Kill a mature deer. The inches of antler at this point are of not much concern. I have killed one deer over 3.5yo. It was only because of a hot doe. I want to be in a position to "call my shot" so to speak.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:29 pm

You should be in good shape if you want it like you are describing. Dan made his videos to "pull back the curtain" on killing big bucks. They are predictable and able to be shot on purpose.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:28 am

Find the doe beds too. People talk a lot about where the bucks are bedding but fail to give equal time to the doe beds and where they feed. What do bucks want during pre-rut, rut and secondary rut? The does! Make mental notes of the heavy trails, pinches and funnels near the doe beds and check on them during the season.

I like what mipubbucks24 wrote. He's right. If you get caught up in what everyone is writing, videoing, doing and talking about, you might fail to see the obvious. When you're absorbing all of the media content coming your way, be sure to be an independent thinker, question those techniques you're learning because your woods and deer are different than the woods and deer the producers of this information are writing about.

Good luck with your journey. Hope you're successful! Let us know when you are.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:39 am

G-Patt wrote:Find the doe beds too. People talk a lot about where the bucks are bedding but fail to give equal time to the doe beds and where they feed. What do bucks want during pre-rut, rut and secondary rut? The does! Make mental notes of the heavy trails, pinches and funnels near the doe beds and check on them during the season.

I like what mipubbucks24 wrote. He's right. If you get caught up in what everyone is writing, videoing, doing and talking about, you might fail to see the obvious. When you're absorbing all of the media content coming your way, be sure to be an independent thinker, question those techniques you're learning because your woods and deer are different than the woods and deer the producers of this information are writing about.

Good luck with your journey. Hope you're successful! Let us know when you are.

Yup- All of This^^^. I would like to add on doe bedding is to do your post season scouting so you know where they are for next year. Find the buck bed(s) by all means- but see where that doe bedding is nearby and their access to and from. Do it during post season though otherwise youll just disrupt them and possibly blow them out. Post season scouting is worthless for early season hunting (in my area anyway) in my opinion- but for pre rut and rut its a goldmine of intel.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:44 am

The best thing that I have learned is to “get lost in the woods” I feel that when I have a specific spot that I may not pay enough attention to other details along the way. By intentionally getting lost, I am constantly scouting, scanning and interpreting sign. Obviously I am not lost, I just have no specific destination- until I find it.
Ryan
Will1029

Unread postby Will1029 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:45 am

Ryan549 wrote:The best thing that I have learned is to “get lost in the woods” I feel that when I have a specific spot that I may not pay enough attention to other details along the way. By intentionally getting lost, I am constantly scouting, scanning and interpreting sign. Obviously I am not lost, I just have no specific destination- until I find it.

This sounds like a very viable strategy. I'm as interested in increasing my overall woodsman knowledge as much as hunting knowledge. Thank you all for the responses. I have put on some miles the past couple weekends. I firmly believe that time in the woods will pay off as much as the media.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:41 am

Hey Will, welcome to the Beast. Your last line kinda says it all, there are no shortcuts in public land bowhunting. You can buy all the gadgets you can afford, no promises. The only real thing to tip scales in your favor is time spent.....shooting your bow, refining your set up, and knowing your spot(s). There are a few youtubes (already mentioned), and some good books, but time scouting and on stand in a place you are familiar with gets you in the game...also learn to read fresh sign. It doesnt do much good to be hunting in an area that deer were in 2 wks. ago...good luck :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:34 am

Milkweed is not a gimmick made up by the hunting industry.
Get some and start learning about wind. Dan has lots of info to help with this. Thermals are unavoidable and can be used in our favor if you understand how it works.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”