South East Ohio Rookie/Looking for hunting partners

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

amarty734

South East Ohio Rookie/Looking for hunting partners

Unread postby amarty734 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:38 am

I'm hunting SE Ohio for the first time this year. I went down to scout in the spring and had only mild success getting on sign. My buddy and I hunted the second week of October and got on a few deer in the oak ridges and he shot a nice 8 pt, while I didn't see any bucks. I struggled to find any fresh sign except in one spot and ended not having too quality of a hunt besides seeing 8 does one night. There was hardly any hunting pressure there during the week but the people were starting to come in for the weekend, I'm sure as the rut kicks in the pressure will increase a lot. I'm going down on November 4-8 to hunt and am looking for rut tips for the area. The terrain is big hill country with some oaks and some areas of old clear cut thickets (not huntable in it too thick). There is very little agriculture except a few private hay fields which I see a decent amount of deer in. I have read about some hill country bedding and actually bumped a big buck scouting off a finger on the leeward side of a ridge. I guess I'm looking for specific tactics you guys use since I will be hunting the rut down there for the first time. I have covered a lot of miles but have not seen anywhere close to the amount of sign like back home.

Now that my buddy filled his tag he isn't going down with me again, so I am looking for somebody who would like to hunt/camp together. I'm 23 and have been trying to beast hunt for a few years and hunt pretty hard but I'm definitely still learning. I've been in the area east of Jackson and am coming from SE Michigan. I'm probably tent camping at a primitive campground so it might be rough, but if its too cold I might camp somewhere with electricity. It would be cool to hunt with somebody with a little hill country experience but I'm open to anybody. I know beasts are often solo hunters but I tend to have more fun sharing it with others and a hunt camp would be sweet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”