The do's and don'ts of Public Land hunting

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: The do's and don'ts of Public Land hunting

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 am

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:While on private it’s easy to create shooting lanes. On public that doesn’t allow cutting I have found nothing works better than ratchet pruners :?

Here in WI cutting limbs and trees is illegal on public land. I bring extra bungee straps to create shooting lanes...

Actually they changed that law last year. Now we can trim branches up to 1”. I remember it being in the regs but can’t find it this year.

Depends on who owns the public land. State vs county vs federal is all subject to their own rules.

My county land I hunt I can leave stands up all season and can’t cut a thing. Even with that hwy 64 rule, not even sure if it’s a thing anymore. Rarely ever hunt state land...

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:30 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:While on private it’s easy to create shooting lanes. On public that doesn’t allow cutting I have found nothing works better than ratchet pruners :?

Here in WI cutting limbs and trees is illegal on public land. I bring extra bungee straps to create shooting lanes...

Actually they changed that law last year. Now we can trim branches up to 1”. I remember it being in the regs but can’t find it this year.

Depends on who owns the public land. State vs county vs federal is all subject to their own rules.

My county land I hunt I can leave stands up all season and can’t cut a thing. Even with that hwy 64 rule, not even sure if it’s a thing anymore. Rarely ever hunt state land...

Yup. Federal refuge land trail cams and picking up sheds is illegal. Be nice to have one standard set of rules that applies everywhere.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:02 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:

Yup. Federal refuge land trail cams and picking up sheds is illegal. Be nice to have one standard set of rules that applies everywhere.

That’s my big gripe! A standard set of rules would make a lot more dang sense to me. I get the ole this property here u can cut limbs up to the size of your thumb but directly across the road no cutting. Gotta wear orange on this one but this one u r good. Look... I can’t even remember where the heck I put my keys that early in the morning. I put some stuff in the same category as cutting the tag off your mattress.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Cstark001

Unread postby Cstark001 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Thank you everyone for all of the tips. I cant wait to get out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”