Territorial Hunters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Territorial Hunters

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 pm

This happened last weekend, and I had to give myself some reflection time before I posted about it in an overly negative way. I was on the same public parcel that I spoke up above and on a doe mission.

It was still somewhat dark and I was three sticks high setting up my stand when I heard a distinct cough off to my left. Looking over, I see a guy in a stand, but he is not shining a light at me and didn't say anything else. So I pull up my bow and sit, thinking I will probably sit until it gets light and quietly move somewhere else.

Five minutes goes by and then I start hearing words. He started muttering then getting louder. I hear him say "unethical piece of ----" It's becoming light now, so now I can see he's 50 yards away. Maybe 60. He starts smoking, the gets on his phone and complaining to someone.

I'm not happy, so I decide that I should give myself a 10 count and then get down to talk to him before he boils over or his friends arrive. I decided to untuck my shirt so he knows I'm carrying a pistol. It's legal for me to carry open or concealed, and I want him to see it for deterrence.

As I quietly walk over, he starts to quickly climb down, his cigarette hanging out. About 20 feet away, I say, "Man, I am not trying to ruin your hunt. I didn't know you were there until you coughed."

He is still on the ladder and leans over, "Oh, it's you! I was getting really ticked off, but I didn't know it was you." He walks over and starts telling me about how someone set up a ladder stand 20 yards from him last year, but since it's me he doesn't care.

Rewind to last October:

Last year in this same area, I had a stare-down with a doe. I was on the ground and didn't know that he was in a stand nearby. As the doe and I were staring at each other, I saw an arrow pass right through her. He got down and nearly jumped out of his skin when I said "Nice shot!" He was apologizing profusely at that time and I gave him lots of grace. At that time I told him "You're fine--it's public land and anyone can be anywhere." I helped him find the doe, went to get my cart and loaded him into the truck. He was telling me that everyone he met up here (except for me) was a jerk and very territorial.

Fast forward back to this year:

So we are talking now and everything seems fine. He is now calm. Turns out that he bought a new truck so I didn't recognize his vehicle. I told him if I had known I would have avoided this hill. He said he shined his light on me before I started climbing, but I didn't see it. He said that was fine because it's so thick in here. I'm not sure why he didn't think to cough or say something earlier.

He told me to please feel free to hunt there.

He noticed that I didn't put up my two man stand this year at the creek crossing below. (Indiana is legal to leave stands on public land between September 15th and January.) I told him that I'm tired of educating other people where to hunt. When I move my stand then someone else hangs a stand there and never removes it. Then they claim the spot.

He said, "Yep, I left mine up all year..."

He really never realized that in one year he became the guy that he had previously been complaining about. I never really saw the irony in calling me unethical after what he did in claiming that spot.

It was a wasted morning, because this person felt that he owned this spot of public and didn't keep his cool.

Folks, anyone has a right to be anywhere on public land. And if you think someone is too close, get their attention before you get mad. If you can't get their attention, then they really are not that close anyway.

Sorry for the long post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:06 pm

I try to be nice. At the same time. I don't want to clue them in to where I'm going. I say a lot of times.

"Don't know have not been out here in a while".

"Don't know first time here. Drove my brothers truck,"

" Never been here. Is this a good area? "

" Going do some sneaking around".

My favorite. But its kind of mean.

" In the woods"
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:04 am

Motivated wrote:This happened last weekend, and I had to give myself some reflection time before I posted about it in an overly negative way. I was on the same public parcel that I spoke up above and on a doe mission.

It was still somewhat dark and I was three sticks high setting up my stand when I heard a distinct cough off to my left. Looking over, I see a guy in a stand, but he is not shining a light at me and didn't say anything else. So I pull up my bow and sit, thinking I will probably sit until it gets light and quietly move somewhere else.

Five minutes goes by and then I start hearing words. He started muttering then getting louder. I hear him say "unethical piece of ----" It's becoming light now, so now I can see he's 50 yards away. Maybe 60. He starts smoking, the gets on his phone and complaining to someone.

I'm not happy, so I decide that I should give myself a 10 count and then get down to talk to him before he boils over or his friends arrive. I decided to untuck my shirt so he knows I'm carrying a pistol. It's legal for me to carry open or concealed, and I want him to see it for deterrence.

As I quietly walk over, he starts to quickly climb down, his cigarette hanging out. About 20 feet away, I say, "Man, I am not trying to ruin your hunt. I didn't know you were there until you coughed."

He is still on the ladder and leans over, "Oh, it's you! I was getting really ticked off, but I didn't know it was you." He walks over and starts telling me about how someone set up a ladder stand 20 yards from him last year, but since it's me he doesn't care.

Rewind to last October:

Last year in this same area, I had a stare-down with a doe. I was on the ground and didn't know that he was in a stand nearby. As the doe and I were staring at each other, I saw an arrow pass right through her. He got down and nearly jumped out of his skin when I said "Nice shot!" He was apologizing profusely at that time and I gave him lots of grace. At that time I told him "You're fine--it's public land and anyone can be anywhere." I helped him find the doe, went to get my cart and loaded him into the truck. He was telling me that everyone he met up here (except for me) was a jerk and very territorial.

Fast forward back to this year:

So we are talking now and everything seems fine. He is now calm. Turns out that he bought a new truck so I didn't recognize his vehicle. I told him if I had known I would have avoided this hill. He said he shined his light on me before I started climbing, but I didn't see it. He said that was fine because it's so thick in here. I'm not sure why he didn't think to cough or say something earlier.

He told me to please feel free to hunt there.

He noticed that I didn't put up my two man stand this year at the creek crossing below. (Indiana is legal to leave stands on public land between September 15th and January.) I told him that I'm tired of educating other people where to hunt. When I move my stand then someone else hangs a stand there and never removes it. Then they claim the spot.

He said, "Yep, I left mine up all year..."

He really never realized that in one year he became the guy that he had previously been complaining about. I never really saw the irony in calling me unethical after what he did in claiming that spot.

It was a wasted morning, because this person felt that he owned this spot of public and didn't keep his cool.

Folks, anyone has a right to be anywhere on public land. And if you think someone is too close, get their attention before you get mad. If you can't get their attention, then they really are not that close anyway.

Sorry for the long post.

Great post. If only more people acted they way you did.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:51 am

I do as much or more scouting on public as to where everyone else is so I can attempt to avoid them. On days conditions are not quite right for me I still get up at the crack of dawn, get a cup of coffee, get in the truck and drive the public to see whos out and where. I live next to no joke over 200,000 acres of public land so theres lots of places that never see a guy in archery but man is it pounded in rifle. Im in the camp area of the state where everyone comes for "rifle season vacation" once a year. I got a new truck this year so anyone who saw my jeep has been thrown a curve ball. Its the exact opposite where i live due to weather, if youre not driving a full size, you are the odd man sticking out like a sore thumb. Ive also added a bike, the wifes cousin is giving me a trailer for it here soon.

Ive been asked a million times where I was going. Since I moved from the closest big town to the smallest town in the county that doesnt happen too often. Most times its guys telling me where they are rather than me telling them where I am.

I had a guy pull in last year during the right at dark thirty and ask me if I minded if he parked beside me and went in the same way.... one trail through the thickest mountain laruel you have ever seen. I agreed. He gets out of his truck, goes to throw his stand on his back and screams out " F_____". Whats the matter man? "My shoulder is out of socket" . I told him that he shouldnt go that day but he did anyhow. Personally, ive been there with a shoulder that comes out easy. My one big fear is it happening in a stand. I waited to see him walk out before I left that morning and told him he better get to a doctor before this archery season.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 am

My second hunt on public this year got there early like 6 hours before dark. Guy pulls in and immediately he comes over and tells me where he's hunting. I said cool I'm not going that way. He asks where I was heading I just pointed in a general direction. He then pulls out a phone and shows me all the trail cam pics he's gotten in the area. One was a really nice buck for Michigan . He ended up telling his life story. Seemed like a nice dude. We exchanged names then off we went. I hav'nt ran into any jerks on public yet. This is my second season hunting public. I've ran into much bigger a holes hunting private.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Hawthorne wrote:My second hunt on public this year got there early like 6 hours before dark. Guy pulls in and immediately he comes over and tells me where he's hunting. I said cool I'm not going that way. He asks where I was heading I just pointed in a general direction. He then pulls out a phone and shows me all the trail cam pics he's gotten in the area. One was a really nice buck for Michigan . He ended up telling his life story. Seemed like a nice dude. We exchanged names then off we went. I hav'nt ran into any jerks on public yet. This is my second season hunting public. I've ran into much bigger a holes hunting private.

Good news on the public! 8-)
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:32 am

I normally have decent encounters on public. When walking in, if I come across someone in the area I'm headed, I just move to plan "B".
This is kind of a rant, Last night was different though. I had my daughter out and was hoping we would at least see a doe. We were 1/2 way set up, I was in the tree, 2 steps up, going to hang 2 LW hang on's. You all get it, that takes a little time and work to do so quitely, we are 100+ yds from some doe bedding, and possible buck as well. This guy comes in on us with a climber. I whistle, and he stops, then keeps coming. At about 30yds, he's going off that this is his spot, he hunts it every year for years. I shrug, most guys would just move on, not this guy. Really.... I'm out with my kid, its her 1st time in a tree stand, and I have a guy that won't move on? ARG....... When we got home, she told my wife that this crazy guy came in on us, so now my wife is worried and dosn't want me going back to that area. Wow, trying to get your kids interested, and stuff like this happens. I explained it as stuff that occasionally happens, and you just move on.... So, instead of making a scene, and causing more commotion in the woods, I say, we'll move. Down I come, tear everything down, re-pack it all up, and off we go to plan B for the area we were at. I had wanted to check this other spot out, and in reality, it was a good move. We came across some 8" or so rubs, but where it was didn't correlate in my mind as coming out of bedding in the marsh. we went alittle further and set up where I thought bedding would be better. What a mistake. 45 min. later, I heard a Blow on the trail from the marsh near where the big rub was. wind was good, but maybe he got a wiff of where we walked. Not sure, but I might have to go back to that spot in a week or so. Turns out were we set up, there was some more rubs, but smaller, and a ladder stand out in the willow trees that were out in the marsh. maybe a noisy hunter out there. After re-looking at the areals, there are beds out off that other trail.

So, from disappointment, to an un-wasted sit and scout mission.

sorry for the long post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 am

Mag1,

That guy is a jackwagon....you did the right thing by quietly moving to a new spot, especially since you had your daughter with you.

I just don't get that mindset. If I am setup and another guy comes in with a kid I would seriously consider giving them the spot and leave myself. At least you know that is HIS spot in the future.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:03 am

Thanks JM. I figured you would have dealt with stuff like that in your area. It was just kind of weird. Anyways, we did get some good intel, I just didn't act upon it. Repeat the mantra, see hot sign, setup now. :) Thanks for listening. Daughter had fun anyways, she brought a book and was reading for most of the time. She did ask about some noises though. Good ears.

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:58 am

Do you know why people act like that? Cause theyve done it their whole lives and no one ever gave them a fat lip to think about it for a few days. Youre more cool and collect than this cat, ill admit it.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:27 am

Experienced it yesterday . I was on a public piece a quarter mile in and at 9:30 I hear a shot coming from where my truck is parked . Sounds like a large cal pistol. Then two more quick shots . There are no houses on the road . I have a feeling I beat someone to "their" spot and they were trying to harass me or the deer in the area . Didn't work , I hunted there all day ! ;)

naternate

Unread postby naternate » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Almost all of my public interaction have been positive with other hunter. Had a guy come in on my wife and I sitting on stand. He was hurrying in and had a climber on his back but backed out when I whisled. Met up on the way out and talked for a bit and he said the deer cone out of the swamp about 200 yrds down. Another time came out with my wife and I again and there was a guy at the parking spot coming out too. He noticed my Lone wolf and sticks and we got to talking strategy for hang and hunt. He told me he hunts across the road but only rarely because he has private to hunt. Had shot some nice bucks back there before though. After talking and looking at that spot on Google maps it is a phenomenal spot. Havent seen him there the last 3 years but could prob never bring myself to hunt that spot out of respect for another hardcore hunter.

I havent hunted public by me during gun since I moved to the area due to lots of guys and shooting. Just sat out shotgun for concerns of pressure and safety. Decided to hunt this year as numbers and shots have steadily decreased. Went into a spot I had scouted for bow but never hunted. Guy flashed his light in the spot I wanted to hunt so I set up 200-250 yrds away in another scouted spot. Ended up shooting a decent 8pt with my ML. When I was at the truck getting the cart a guy rolls up in a truck and asked if I saw anything. Told him I shot and 8 (not sure why, just came out LOL) and next question was "where at?" Said the opposite side of the road, turns out he was prob the guy hunting the spot I wanted. Kinda felt bad because he seemed nice and was pumped I shot one.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:34 am

A few years ago I was bowhunting on the last day of the season. When I got back to my truck a guy was there waiting for me. He was quite grumpy. He asked where I was hunting, I tell him. Then he ask how I get across the creek? It was frozen. Then he ask why I'm walking all that way when I could park on the other side of the property. I tell him wind direction and to not chase the deer away on entry. He tells me he's going to follow my tracks in the snow the next day and that he has had problems with a tresspasser "with a truck just like yours".

A year later I'm studying maps, realize there is more public then I had thought because of where the no tresspassing signs were. I think the guy was claiming the public as his. He got his truck stuck in the parking lot and needed to be pulled out, I didn't feel bad for him.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:54 pm

I was now hunting out of state one time and came across an old man rabbit hunting. He kept hinting about where I was from. Finally he asked directly and when I told him he became upset and yelled at me that they don't like outsiders around these parts. I jumped back in his face and said we don't like them at home either. He was speachless for a bit then decided I was ok

Usually I just play simple
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:02 am

Just a couple of seasons ago I was on my way out from a deep swamp hunt. My truck was in a very small parking area just off of the main road that accesses the area. It was well after dark as I had a long ways to cover before getting to my truck. When I was about 150 yards or so from my truck I stopped, leaned against a tree, caught my breath and went into observation mode. There were no other vehicles in the small parking area but in the darkness I could see the outline of my truck. Even so, I never take anything for granted on heavily pressured public land.

After about a minute or so, I saw the red glow of a cigarette about 40 yards behind my truck. It disappeared as quickly as it had shown, but the jig was up. I went into stealth mode and began swinging around to the side of the parking area. As I approached I could make out he silhoutte of a man where i had seen the red glow. I was fully "prepared" as I stepped into the lot right behind him and announced, "Hi there"! As you can imagine he was very startled. I asked him what he was up to and he gave the standard: "I wanted to ask you where you are hunting so that we don't interfere with each other." I assured him we wouldn't be tripping over each other.

He just stood there for a moment so i stated, "You take care now." He began walking down the road and after awhile I heard his truck start up. His lights came on and he began driving away from where I was.

I am always careful on heavily pressured public land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”