Territorial Hunters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Territorial Hunters

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:13 am

dbltmn wrote: So Now I am 42 years old and to any a-hole that was in the gruenwald duck and buck club around 1994 I can truly say that because of how I was treated out there, I will always take the high road, offering to hunt the other side of the road, move down to the next spot, or let you have your selection. Because I will never make hunting a bad experience for another individual like these guys did to me. I learned a valuable lesson about their greed, their fears, and just how bad it can be to be an outsider to some people. I will never be that guy.

Good for you. That's why I won't hunt around other people. They may be the best hunters in the world, but I won't take the chance. I'd rather be by myself. My wife tells me every year, "Deer season brings out the worst in people"

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:53 am

dbltmn wrote:I have two pretty miserable stories that have altered my ways forever. One happened when I was young and just decided I wanted to try bow hunting. I'm from Appleton and gun hunt in the north woods. I wanted to find something closer to town to hunt. I started driving around since at that time I didn't have internet, DNR mapping of MFL lands, or other cool tools at my disposal that we have now. I came across a big swamp near Black Creek that looked to have deer all over it, (judging by fields and shining). So after asking for permission at a few farms and being turned down I come to this house with a sign that said "Buck and Duck" club. I went up and knocked and this older woman answered the door. Shorten it up a bit she allowed 25 guys to hunt 540 acres, any hunting they wanted as there were a few fields and marsh. The cost was I think $400 or $600 which was a lot of money for me at the time. But she had one opening and let me walk the property. I took a printed map from her and walked it. I WAS DONE! I jumped and saw a few deer on my walk and saw trails through the property that were like nothing I'd ever seen before. I came back and paid her later that week..... So I started hunting it. In a ladder stand I built. I ran into a few guys at the parking lot. There was another kid bout my age 21 22 ish.... He was cool to me. NO ONE else was. Very cold right from the start. In fact after I hunted my new ladder stand a few times I came out to find it was cut into pieces and in a pile under my tree. I thought I had zeroed in on someone elses "spot" and so I bought a very heavy but more mobile climber.... I ran into a few guys and found out that they were all either related or worked together. I was one of just a couple odd men out, and obviously not welcome.... There were a few times when I was hunting an area that a guy would walk past me and shoot a shotgun, YELL at me "Hows the hunting?", or break branches and talk to himself. One time I moved off of the farm lane to let a car pass me as I had a 4x4 truck and it was wet. I got stuck coming in. They were headed out..... Gave me the finger and laughed. I had to call someone to help me from Appleton. I continued to hunt there for maybe a month. I became very bummed about the whole thing as it was the best deer hunting I had ever dreamed of, but then worst deer hunting experience of my life. I decided to just leave. They won. So Now I am 42 years old and to any a-hole that was in the gruenwald duck and buck club around 1994 I can truly say that because of how I was treated out there, I will always take the high road, offering to hunt the other side of the road, move down to the next spot, or let you have your selection. Because I will never make hunting a bad experience for another individual like these guys did to me. I learned a valuable lesson about their greed, their fears, and just how bad it can be to be an outsider to some people. I will never be that guy.

WOW. Small world.

I live in Seymour and had a previous neighbor who belonged to that club. He brought me on as a guest for a late season bow hunt, just one hunt. He was paying $600. This would have been in that exact time frame, early 90's. He may have been the kid you described. His name was Danny.

It's a shame that the sport of hunting attracts a slew of downright nasty people.

Congrats on taking the high road.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:54 am

Some real horror stories. I feel for you guys. Nothing sucks more than to have to deal with a-holes when you're trying to enjoy your passion.

Generally when people ask me "Where you huntin'?" I respond "All over". Which is true. I may only ever come back to that particular tree one other time that season.

When they ask "What have you been seeing?" My response is always "Not much". I do my best to act like hunting sucks and you're not sure why you bother. Most people are actually easy to deter. lol People around here seem to really rely on what others are doing. Parking lot scouters that rarely leave the truck.

To avoid parking lot scouters and their prying conversations I actually prep all my stuff at home or work before I get to the parking area. My stand has my sticks, harness and clothes bungee'd to it and my bow is right there too. I have nothing to do once I put on the parking brake.

I literally pull up, jump out, grab the stand, put it on my back, grab my bow and slip into the woods. I'm rarely at my truck longer than a minute or so.

Once I'm in the woods I will unpack and get dressed a very safe distance from where I intend to hunt that day.

Much like the big bucks we all hunt, I try to avoid people at all costs. That doesn't mean I don't hunt the same areas, I just slip around them as best I can.

I get dropped off for some spots (and lately everywhere since my truck broke)....I wait in pitch darkness for others to leave a parking lot before coming out. I go in earlier for pm hunts on weekends even if it means waiting somewhere nearby for winds to change. I avoid using bright eyes, flashlights or leaving any sign that I've been there. I try to park as to blend in with hikers, bikers, etc, have no hunting stickers on vehicle, park where it may look like I'm hunting somewhere else, etc...I go to great lengths to avoid giving myself away. Not always possible, but I always try.

Funny thing is around here, the few people I do run into always say...."OH BIG BIG BEARS in here....Lots of em too"....As if that's supposed to scare me. I smile and say "I'll keep it in mind for bear season, thanks for the tip" lol

Just the other night I had a couple of fish and wildlife volunteers or land management guys in a beat up Ford stop me for spotlighting. They pull up next to me and tell me I can't do that, it's illegal. (It's perfectly legal with no weapons in the vehicle) I was nice and politely told them they are wrong and I will continue to spotlight. Conversation went on longer than that, but they were giant a-holes at first thinking I wouldn't know the law and would just leave. Eventually they want to know what I'm seeing. "Not much." lol

Some people suck, but I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Still, I try to avoid people and it helps.

Good luck...and remember it's supposed to be fun, so enjoy yourself however you can.
Wlfpckhuntr27

Unread postby Wlfpckhuntr27 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:01 am

This past 2015, my cousin and I went onto a public land track in Ohio. We had scouted this track back in March and had a good idea of where a big buck was bedding. It was a nasty thick area with great escape routes. Our first morning we set back in observation stands and made our move mid-day and hung stands and slipped out till 1:30-2:00. We were walking back in and split up from each other and circled into the thicket, to cover two exit trails. I was walking the edge of a wide open field, along the edge of a pond when I heard a guy whistle. I looked over my left shoulder and saw this guy waving with both hands, like he was flagging a jet plane. He was sitting about 150 yards away from the nasty stuff, on the field edge. I waved and walked on into the thicket.

As soon as I enter the edge of the thicket I hear the guy screaming, like he lost his mind. I thought to myself, yep, I am in the right place. However, this flurry of screaming of profanity last for 20 minutes. My cousin and I could hear this guy crashing in the thicket looking for me. I slipped in the stand b/c I felt like I had a better defensive position and doubted he could find me anyways. Finally, we heard, "Good luck a-hole." and things settled down. Needless to say, we did not see a thing. After dark, we met up and hiked back to the truck. As we were unloading our stands the guy wheeled into the parking lot but did not get out. He thought about it for a minute or two as we stood there looking and waiting. He finally left and we never returned.

We went on to hunt two other tracks and my cousin killed a good buck on the last day. We tag teamed a bedding area that was maybe 60 yards from a parking area, by parking several hundred yards away and circling in from the backside (which happened to be downwind). I had seen a big 8 point come out of that thicket 4 years ago.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Good to hear your trip ended up as a success. The first part of your post is definitely what we refer to as a territorial hunter. They think they own it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
H2archer

Unread postby H2archer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:31 pm

More along the territorial hunter line but Last year was the first year I spent a significant amount of time on public land. I decided to hunt a spot that is about 3/4 of a mile of woods between roads. There were no trucks in the parking area where I entered. Carried my climber and bow in to about the middle, crest a hill and see a guy in a ladder stand smoking a cig about 30 yards away. He immediately starts going off about how this is his spot and everyone knows it, and how he's been hunting that stand for ten years. I just turned and hiked out. I'm not dealing some temper tantrum throwing 40 yr old toddler in the middle of the woods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:38 pm

I had a guy leave a note on my truck about hunting close to a property line. He was a new guy to the area and not a landowner like me. It was really insulting. I had bad run ins with this guy a few times and we didn't get along. I eventually just gave up on that area of the property. Wasn't worth my time any longer.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:21 pm

I have had good interactions with pretty much everyone I've run into on public land. Maybe I've just been lucky?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:23 pm

This was private ground. Not public. We ran into some last year...did not work out real well for them. They were telling us we were on the wrong ground. We assured them, we were not. "You better call your guy" is what they kept saying. "We will!" And we did. And our landowner was not real happy. In fact, he talked to the abutting landowner and got their group kicked off his ground also. We had no intention of that nor did we even suggest it. So with one phone call...those guys lost a LOT of ground.

By the end of the week...guys saw us and said "we are good. We don't want any problems. We are good. We are good." Everyone was pretty friendly after that. They did not realize our landowner and friend is kind of like Boss Hogg of Hazard County... :D

Here in my state, honestly, I rarely see another hunter in the woods during bow season. Very very uncommon to meet up with someone in the woods. See a lot of unused treestands that have been left up over the years, some are gun sets, most are abandoned. Deer pay 0 attention to them. Run cameras right by old stands each season.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:54 am

tgreeno wrote:I have had good interactions with pretty much everyone I've run into on public land. Maybe I've just been lucky?

I've been lucky as well, basically hunting where no one else does and going in early and coming out late keeps me away from the riff raff so far.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:38 pm

headgear wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I have had good interactions with pretty much everyone I've run into on public land. Maybe I've just been lucky?

I've been lucky as well, basically hunting where no one else does and going in early and coming out late keeps me away from the riff raff so far.

That works well for me the vast majority of the time. Every once in a while I will see someone waiting near my truck. They think they are going to conduct some sort of interrogation but it never goes well for them. Typically they fall short of the "reasonably intelligent" standard.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:That works well for me the vast majority of the time. Every once in a while I will see someone waiting near my truck. They think they are going to conduct some sort of interrogation but it never goes well for them. Typically they fall short of the "reasonably intelligent" standard.

Actually the guys I have run into "by the truck", for some reason seem to be very forthcoming with information. Were their buddies have all shot deer and where I should go try. I give them nothing but a smile & nod, "Nope didn't see anything"! :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 pm

I always try to stay away from others. I do what it takes to make it look like I'm hunting a different area etc. I try to take the high road as well. Last year I was setup outside a bedding finger and I heard crashing up the ridge and saw a small 6pt running towards me. This was on private land where I am the only one with permission for last 5 years. Anyway, the deer got within 50 yds of me and dropped dead. 20 mins later I see a guy blood trailing. At first I was pissed! Until he got closer and saw he had a young boy with him. They were startled when I said hello from 25ft up. I climbed down and congratulated the young boy and offered to help gut it but the didn't need the help. They shot it on their land and it died on mine. Some guys would be pissed but I took the high road and made the best of it. I didn't want the young guy to get a bad taste after shooting a deer to mainly remember some a hole giving him a hard time

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Well done hunter10 :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”