Scouting help

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wvbuckhunter

Scouting help

Unread postby wvbuckhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:55 am

I’ve focused on this small section of 23000 acres of public land in WV. I have 2 camera set up and have gotten a few small bucks on camera. I’ve found bedding areas, and perfect examples of buck beds. I’ve seen plenty of does and I’m confident I’ll see some small bucks here. I’ve spent a lot of time with boots on the ground scouting this land and I have not seen 1 single rub or scrape. Are there any other areas you would focus on? Or areas that you think may attract bucks?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dusters

Re: Scouting help

Unread postby dusters » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:00 pm

Directly to the left of your markers looks like a good funnel at the top of that ridge.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:35 pm

A1A68BD8-3E7D-49F0-A15F-6DA7C956A183.jpeg

I know that area but never hunted it. I would have to check those spots and anywhere with laurel and acorns or steep thick areas on upper 1/3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:28 am

wvbuckhunter wrote:I’ve focused on this small section of 23000 acres of public land in WV. I have 2 camera set up and have gotten a few small bucks on camera. I’ve found bedding areas, and perfect examples of buck beds. I’ve seen plenty of does and I’m confident I’ll see some small bucks here. I’ve spent a lot of time with boots on the ground scouting this land and I have not seen 1 single rub or scrape. Are there any other areas you would focus on? Or areas that you think may attract bucks?
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

In addition to Brancher147 recommendations, you might want to scout that 1500' point overlooking the valley to the south if you haven't already. There could be a buck bed there, especially if you get southerly winds. Besides trail cams, have you had any personal visuals on bucks? If the area is not too thick maybe pick a high vantage spot to glass one morning or evening.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”