Daniel Boone National Forest and the Appalachian Mountain Question

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jteulker
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/josh.teulker/p ... 02133&sour

Daniel Boone National Forest and the Appalachian Mountain Question

Unread postby jteulker » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:15 am

Hey Everyone,
Got a question.

I am getting ready to leave for Kentucky on a hunt on Thursday. I have a few properties scouted out in the western part of the state but am really looking for an adventure.

Has anyone hunted the Appalachian Mountains in KY? And had good luck? I was told by a member the the deer density is 0-5 every square mile!!!??? And not very good hunting.

Guys and gals with experience in the mountains of KY what are your thoughts? Is it worth my time to try it out? Or should i just go to western KY?

Not looking for a spot or anything just some words of advice or encouragement to go!

Thanks

Bowstring

Re: Daniel Boone National Forest and the Appalachian Mountain Question

Unread postby Bowstring » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 am

I would definitely go to Daniel Boone National Forest. A buddy and me have hunted up there for many a years with great success and my buddy killed his biggest buck up there. Don't listen to stories of no deer, hunt it hard, scout it, scout it some more and have a great time...Good Luck Man.....

PS....Make sure you get some permethrin, you will need it...
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:47 am

I hunted pvt adjacent to the National Forest. Densities are low but age structure seems good!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:48 pm

D B forest usually gets some decent bucks come out of there! West definitly has more numbers. Just depends on what you want to hunt. West you can hunt hills, swamps, or strip mine ground.
East you just got alot of big hills, less crops. Id stick with what you know how to hunt best! If i was you
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:07 am

jteulker wrote:Hey Everyone,
Got a question.

I am getting ready to leave for Kentucky on a hunt on Thursday. I have a few properties scouted out in the western part of the state but am really looking for an adventure.

Has anyone hunted the Appalachian Mountains in KY? And had good luck? I was told by a member the the deer density is 0-5 every square mile!!!??? And not very good hunting.

Guys and gals with experience in the mountains of KY what are your thoughts? Is it worth my time to try it out? Or should i just go to western KY?

Not looking for a spot or anything just some words of advice or encouragement to go!

Its def a little late for me to comment back but I used to live in the area and have seen some dandys come out of there. Most come from very unlikely places such as a small bench that parallels the roads 100 ft or so from parking or an extreme cliff with a bench just under it that goes around the secondary point. I traveled for work so didn't get lucky enough to hunt but have gotten several pictures of bucks that would go 150 to 170 out of there.

Thanks
Swelch

Unread postby Swelch » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:10 am

69787.jpeg
jteulker wrote:Hey Everyone,
Got a question.

Its def a little late for me to comment back but I used to live in the area and have seen some dandys come out of there. Most come from very unlikely places such as a small bench that parallels the roads 100 ft or so from parking or an extreme cliff with a bench just under it that goes around the secondary point. I traveled for work so didn't get lucky enough to hunt but have gotten several pictures of bucks that would go 150 to 170 out of there.

Thanks

Here's a pic I got of one a couple years ago out there. Had several night time pics and 2 daylight around nov 1st but as soon as rifle opened he went straight nocturnal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”