T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MNbucknuts

Re: T minus one month leaving for Nebraska Sandhills

Unread postby MNbucknuts » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:31 am

Sorry to hear the deer didn't want to cooperate. I have rifle hunted Nebraska off and on for about the last 8 years. My family knows a rancher down there and we have lots of private land to hunt. I know this year has been really dry and they ranchers have had to move cattle to new areas for grazing. It also sounds like they are having some EHD die off as well, the area I hunt had EHD really bad about 5 years ago. I can imagine all the cattle moving around has really changed how the deer use the landscape. Could be a really interesting hunt down there in November hopefully I can find something worth putting a tag on.

BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:12 am

MNbucknuts wrote:Sorry to hear the deer didn't want to cooperate. I have rifle hunted Nebraska off and on for about the last 8 years. My family knows a rancher down there and we have lots of private land to hunt. I know this year has been really dry and they ranchers have had to move cattle to new areas for grazing. It also sounds like they are having some EHD die off as well, the area I hunt had EHD really bad about 5 years ago. I can imagine all the cattle moving around has really changed how the deer use the landscape. Could be a really interesting hunt down there in November hopefully I can find something worth putting a tag on.

I've been going down there the last 3 years and again this year rifle hunting. We hunt all public land and last year, was the lowest number of deer seen in the 3 years. Hope this year is a little better and can get it done. Good luck to you down there.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:20 am

MNbucknuts wrote:Sorry to hear the deer didn't want to cooperate. I have rifle hunted Nebraska off and on for about the last 8 years. My family knows a rancher down there and we have lots of private land to hunt. I know this year has been really dry and they ranchers have had to move cattle to new areas for grazing. It also sounds like they are having some EHD die off as well, the area I hunt had EHD really bad about 5 years ago. I can imagine all the cattle moving around has really changed how the deer use the landscape. Could be a really interesting hunt down there in November hopefully I can find something worth putting a tag on.

Yeah it definitely looked like they grazed off way more then the last two years. I am sure that had a pretty big impact since the cows destroy the bedding areas for that year. We were wondering if ehd played a role since we weren't even seeing deer on private driving around. Good luck hopefully you get some better weather by then.
MNbucknuts

Unread postby MNbucknuts » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 am

BRoth82 wrote:

I've been going down there the last 3 years and again this year rifle hunting. We hunt all public land and last year, was the lowest number of deer seen in the 3 years. Hope this year is a little better and can get it done. Good luck to you down there.

hope it is better for you this year! We had a great year last year saw 6 or 7 different bucks in 130" or better. My brother and I were both able to harvest our biggest bucks every last year. would love to recreate that this year! :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”