Public Land Confrontation

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan549
500 Club

Public Land Confrontation

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:30 am

Went out at 6 this morning to do some last minute scouting on a piece of public where I have been seeing a few really good bucks out in the private ag fields adjacent.
Do my walking, find what I need, as I get out of the thick stuff, I see a guy at my truck. Proceeds to tell me that he’s been hunting there for 17 years and to leave his spots alone.(That piece alone is just shy of 600 ac) When I ask his name, he said that it doesn’t matter. And when I asked him if he was the one leaving all the empty beer cans and bottles out there he got furious..... maybe I did find his spots!
Be nice gentlemen, we all own the public and we can all get along.
Now I want to hunt this area even more.

Ryan
Jackson Marsh

Re: Public Land Confrontation

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 am

Good luck with your new area, hopefully that guy doesn't wreck it for everybody.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 am

Ryan549 wrote:Went out at 6 this morning to do some last minute scouting on a piece of public where I have been seeing a few really good bucks out in the private ag fields adjacent.
Do my walking, find what I need, as I get out of the thick stuff, I see a guy at my truck. Proceeds to tell me that he’s been hunting there for 17 years and to leave his spots alone.(That piece alone is just shy of 600 ac) When I ask his name, he said that it doesn’t matter. And when I asked him if he was the one leaving all the empty beer cans and bottles out there he got furious..... maybe I did find his spots!

:twisted:

I like it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:37 am

I’d hang a camera high in a tree looking over my truck each time I hunted. Sounds like he’s a real winner.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:19 am

thwack16 wrote:I’d hang a camera high in a tree looking over my truck each time I hunted. Sounds like he’s a real winner.

That is an excellent suggestion, I have thought of doing that several times. I wanna try backing into a spot and putting a trail camera on my dash pointing in the direction anyone might approach my truck, not sure if it would work, but It might be cheap security.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 am

Sounds like hunter harassment. I don’t have time for that stuff unless the sign is there then I might be sneaky
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 am

thwack16 wrote:I’d hang a camera high in a tree looking over my truck each time I hunted. Sounds like he’s a real winner.

Disappointing that you even think of an idea like that. I mean, the last thing I want to see while I am hunting is another person, call me selfish. But it is public, for all to enjoy. To know that people will sabotage you or vandalize your property just because they feel entitled to a spot bothers me.

I think you make a good suggestion, I just hope it doesn’t come to that.
Ryan
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:04 am

Just about everyone I’ve ever met while hunting have been really great people. It’s turds like that that make me keep my guard up a little though.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:32 am

Ryan549 wrote:Went out at 6 this morning to do some last minute scouting on a piece of public where I have been seeing a few really good bucks out in the private ag fields adjacent.

I would have told him it's public and it's first come first serve. Then I would have pulled out my phone and took a pic of him, and told him straight up now I have a pic of you to give to the cops and wardens should anything happen to my stuff are you try to mess up my hunt.

But I also carry a 40 cal in my hip rig so anytime I run into a turd they can see they aren't going to have their way or intimate me in the least.

Probably still would have called the cops and wardens right there on the spot and let them set him straight right off the bat.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Did you see a car or truck parked near by anywhere? If so I would get his plate and info and have a chat with the game warden. Can't be too careful anymore. Could set some cams up and get his picture as well. Next time your out there and you see him try to record this. These situations can get serious pretty fast.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Obviously this guy is not very smart because he is just telling you he has had good hunting there, otherwise he would not care. I always take the other approach when I see people on public, ive always seen a couple button bucks but nothing else, lol, oh yeah and there are so many guys hunting this piece, lol.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Next time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:23 pm

I ran into a dude a few months ago while scouting some public near my house. 1st he told me that there were not any deer in the area,(obvious lie deer tracks all over) then after I told him I would probably only bow hunt in here a few times this fall he began telling me about how he has been hunting in this area for over 20 years and he is sick of seeing other hunters. I said its seems strange that you keep hunting in here for 20 years when there are no deer? He didnt know what to say!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Lots of territorial public hunters out there unfortunately.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 am

Can you park somewhere else and go in the back side?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”