Missouri Conservation Area Parking

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hcooper84

Missouri Conservation Area Parking

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:11 am

Does anyone know if you are allowed to park along main roads to access Conservation Areas in Missouri? Specifically the ones around the STL area.

MO conservation website doesn't say anything and it only shows the main parking lots, this makes accessing most of the land quite the hike and funnels all hunters to walk the same paths.

I assume yes that you can park along roads that are along the boundary, but also dont want to get towed. I plan on calling the local conservation departments for the areas I am interested in once all the corona stuff is settled. However, if I can get a quick answer on here I'd appreciate it!

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Missouri Conservation Area Parking

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:52 am

You do have to park in the designated parking lots. I read it somewhere when I was out there this past season. Not a huge deal and actually makes some spots better I think.
HillCountryHunter-15

Unread postby HillCountryHunter-15 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 pm

Are you talking MDC land or National Forest land? I’ve seen trucks parked in the grass on the side of a main highway next to National Forest land. MDC land might be different though.. The MDC land I hunt is down a dirt road a couple of miles from the main highway so most of the parking available is only designated parking areas.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I used to think you couldn’t. After looking into it last year all I could find was that you are not allowed to leave the roads in your vehicle.

I ended up pulling off the side of the road one evening. When I walked out that night a conservation officer was waiting by my truck. I had screenshot the part about staying on the roads and since I only pulled off to the side I was going to debate it with him. He ended up not worried about it one bit and just checked my tags and asked general questions.

This was on conservation land. And to be honest I think every other vehicle I saw was parked in the designated areas.

Use your own judgment, but after having a similar name to an apparent outlaw and the officer seeming to really want to write me a ticket at first. I think if it was not allowed I would have for sure gotten a ticket. (We got everything straightened up and he was a nice guy)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Parking in lots is not enforced fwiw and it seems the dnr brushhogs alongside the backroads to make room for gun opener. However the orange vest and HAT is enforced so make sure you wear them when required(youth rifle during bow).

Edit: just noticed you said main roads. I didn’t notice any hunters parked on the sides of main roads, just dirt roads.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for the responses. Some of the areas I plan to hunt have lined-paved roads bordering them. I tried to google street view it and it looks like there would be room to park on the shoulder. Yes I am also referring to just MDC lands not national forests. I still plan to contact the local CD to confirm but this would definitely provide an advantage instead of walking the same path every other hunter walks. I am sure mature bucks are keeping tabs on these paths.
1MObowhunter

Unread postby 1MObowhunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:01 am

Interested in what you find out. Please keep us posted.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am

I always stick to the parking lots just to be safe. normally MDC ground has mowed paths, so its difficult to get away from the crowd anyway. Unless its a rainy tuesday. At Midday. lol
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”