Winter Scouting - Public Land - NOW

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Winter Scouting - Public Land - NOW

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Took my 4 yr old daughter out, squirrel hunting/scouting/shed hunting today. Did not find any good deer sign but did find some nice turkey sign. We were not going to see anything as she talked the entire time, she was so excited. It was great to get out and spend some time with her though. Could not really hit the marsh and thick stuff as she is just not big enough yet so we just kinda followed deer and turkey track through the woods. One of my least productive and most enjoyable scouting trips yet.

JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Got out on saturday and found a 4 finger track going frome one bedding area to another before i lost it. Made sign wasnt as hot in this spot as it was first two weeks of december. I think with the snow they pushed closer to the food source. Im just basicly winter scouting trying to find bedding for late season bow hunting. In future seasons.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Find tracks like this in the snow and your well on your way to finding a mature buck bed. My fingers are 3 3/8” across.

This is a primary bedding area I know well. When I saw the tracks I knew right where he was headed. I originally found this bed the exact same way with late winter snow scouting many years ago.

This isn’t the main bed but this one is within 20 yards of the primary bed. Likely wind direction relocated him to this temporary bed on the other side. It snowed a little the night before so the primary bed was covered.

Chest high rub within 20 yards of the primary bed.

I’m gonna dig around my pics and see if I can find one of the primary bed.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Life has slowed me down since Nov. but im about to get the time to go! Wife has finished school 8-) and time is gonna free up :dance: ive been once this year after season, bout to go at it for a while. Gettin antsy :D
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 am

Been out every week at least 1 time since Dec. I don't run a journal much anymore but do post a few scouting videos on my youtube channel. IkemanTX and I just did a scout last weekend, found a nice lt side of a 10 pt and a few good set ups. He has the video posted on his youtube.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 am

Thanks Bridge ! (and everyone else). Time to get out there …... 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:27 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:Took my 4 yr old daughter out, squirrel hunting/scouting/shed hunting today. Did not find any good deer sign but did find some nice turkey sign. We were not going to see anything as she talked the entire time, she was so excited. It was great to get out and spend some time with her though. Could not really hit the marsh and thick stuff as she is just not big enough yet so we just kinda followed deer and turkey track through the woods. One of my least productive and most enjoyable scouting trips yet.

That's awesome... and more productive than you think. Just getting youngsters out there is such an accomplishment. Finding deer and turkey tracks is icing on the cake. Your investment could pay huge dividends down the road for you both. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:42 pm

strutnrut716 wrote:Thanks Bridge ! (and everyone else). Time to get out there …... 8-)

You bet, and some great replies from Beast Nation!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:18 pm

My wife and I stomped around today. Thick creekbottom that was filled with poops.

She didn't seem impressed when I showed her the ultimate ground blind set. :lol:
Rub out front, blocking cover from right direction, clear quartering away shooting after deer passes, I mean SO PERFECT!!!!!!
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:My wife and I stomped around today. Thick creekbottom that was filled with poops.

She didn't seem impressed when I showed her the ultimate ground blind set. :lol:
Rub out front, blocking cover from right direction, clear quartering away shooting after deer passes, I mean SO PERFECT!!!!!!

Wack em and stack em… when it's sizzling on the stove, ask what she thinks then! lol
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:My wife and I stomped around today. Thick creekbottom that was filled with poops.

Wack em and stack em… when it's sizzling on the stove, ask what she thinks then! lol

:D :D
Your right too. I better put some time in on that spot next year.
Cause by then she'll remember... :liar:
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 am

Got back into public hunting in 2018 and did a lot of scouting last year, had an older cousin of mine that got me into hunting the public ground years ago give me a bunch of his marked tree off of his gps as he doesn't plan on going that deep anymore. I think this had me running all over last year trying to cover to many spots, anyway took my son and nephew for a good walk on 2/1 just to get the lay of the land and clean the trail up a bit. Went to Dan's work shop last Saturday and have a plan to start my scouting here next weekend. My biggest issue last year was finding spots but not marking a good entrance to them, going to work on getting quality sets instead of quantity and plan on using some boat access to shorten and make easier access to good trees. Still have to check some travel routes that a guy on here pointed out to me last year off of some topo's, lot of work to do but having a plan is a good thing.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Went on a short scouting mission this afternoon. Walked a couple miles back just to find a bunch of treestands. Didn't find ANY sign that would indicate a big buck lives anywhere in the area. Way to much pressure in there. Guess it was a good day for fresh air and exercise. CROSS THAT ONE OFF THE MAP!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:49 am

Quick scouting trip yesterday , hit 2 areas roughly 3 hours . I put on 3.5 miles . Mainly one spot was somewhat new and worked my way into an area that hunted . Main goal was to check the opposite side for terrain features and find alternative entry /exit routes to reach the ridge top . Found a much better way to access . Almost zero buck sign until I got to the ridge top where I suspected a good buck skirted around me opening day of gun season . Also a small flock of turkey is using this ridge . Might check back in Late April .
Spot 2 was where my son killed his big one this year . I wanted to find the most likely bedding where he came from that evening and I think I accomplished that . So Im happy with the couple little pieces to add for building on future hunts . Looking to hit totally foreign territory next weekend .
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:29 am

Scouted a couple new properties today with my daughter again. Did not find much for deer sign, but we were mostly just focusing on turkeys and found some really good turkey sign. Oh also got the first deer tick of the year :roll:
I’m going to buy some permethrin this week, especially taking the kids out would not be able to forgive myself if one of them got Lyme.
Again just an awesome day in the woods with my girl, she loves it so much, she marched a couple miles too, so i give her little legs credit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”