The New Hunting Industry

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Josh_S
500 Club

Re: The New Hunting Industry

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 pm

I'll admit I would be more of a casual hunter if it wasn't for Dan and the "new hunting industry". Dan's content (as well as others) has completely changed the way I hunt, and I can honestly say I enjoy hunting more because of it. Although I'm far from a "hunting beast" like many of the consistent big buck killer on this forum, I've been on here for a while and have really seen my buck encounters and success rates improve over the years. I've introduced some of my private land ladder stand hunting friends to the hunting beast. Slowly but surely it grew on them. They are not forum members but they follow Dan on facebook, tune into podcasts/youtube videos, and own some of the bedding DVD's. Now they ALL hunt mobile, and are branching out onto public. Some have even bought Dan's sticks. It has re-energized their passion for the sport of hunting just like it has mine.

What started out as a group of 3 of us blindly going on an out of state public land rut vacation a few years ago has turned into a group of 8 going every year. All 8 of us have killed bucks on our rut vacation over the past 3 years. It's great to be around that deer camp atmosphere where we are all rooting for one another and discussing tactics around the fire each night.

Yeah public land is getting a little more crowded, but its connecting more and more people to the sport of hunting, and that's certainly a good thing. It's even starting a few hunting traditions as it has in my example.

NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:05 pm

My point had nothing to do with hunting pressure or Dan. I was referring more to those who spend over 50k on their travel budget and 8 weeks on the road a year. Then they write magazine articles and conduct podcasts on how to have success on public land. It’s entertaining content but I personally can’t relate. I think it’s super cool that these folks have the opportunity to do all of this and that people can make a living on it!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Frankly I think most people are lazy so not worried. I hunt both private and public and really enjoy both.

I do agree that somone with a big hunting budget can do better but not always and most of us can’t relate as we have jobs and lives that don’t allow the budget or time away.

The best part of this new interest in public mobile hunting is all the light mobile gear that is now coming to market.

Back when I started hunting in the late 80’s there weren’t manny options for us and we had to drag loud heavy gear or unsafe gear around. I used climbers for years because the ones I had were public land legal and still lighter than most other options I could afford.

Now we have multiple choices between stands sticks saddles...and the gear seems to get better every year.
At 50 years old I have to hunt smarter but I’m energized by all the new gear and how it can help us hunters stay mobile without killing ourselves.

Don’t worry about tv and magazines. Most hunting shows and articles are crap. Good hunters can get it done anywhere even on a small budget and limited vacation time.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 pm

I personally think There are alot of guys you've never heard of that are better hunters, than some guy made famous by the money they spend to get big deer. I don't pay much attention to the "hunting industry". You need to try and find your own way to be successful. Others may give you ideas, but in the end it will be you effort & determination, that makes it happen! 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm

tgreeno wrote:I personally think There are alot of guys you've never heard of that are better hunters, than some guy made famous by the money they spend to get big deer. I don't pay much attention to the "hunting industry". You need to try and find your own way to be successful. Others may give you ideas, but in the end it will be you effort & determination, that makes it happen! 8-)

Agreed!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:30 pm

I think it’s the invention of the smart phone. 10% will still kill 90% of the nice bucks imo
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:06 am

Not sure if there are actually too many spending 50K on hunting per year. At least just on whitetail hunts!

If the person is hunting where the deer are fairly pressured for each state. Only spending 5-7 days in each state . And making kills or getting opportunities in each state. I think you could still learn something from them. If the person is only after say B&C sized bucks. Not as relatable but they still may provide us with some insights. Cause they're probably passing plenty of nice bucks.

But if they're hunting exclusive managed properties. Or hunting more pressured country and it's taking them all that time to get 1 or 2 chances. To finally kill a buck. I would agree with you!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Nmann707

Unread postby Nmann707 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 am

Hunting public land is badass, finally. I’ve been waiting all my years (38) for this movement. Personally, I enjoy and relish in it. Yes there will be an influx for a while. But we have the upper hand. We have been pounding these public land marshes and swamps for years. Bring on the new wave of public land Beasts!

Think about it guys, something we have all been grinding at for years and years, some of us decades, is finally getting the coolness factor it has always deserved. That’s awesome in my eyes! I’m actually envious of any young man or woman that’s a teenager and into hunting and has all this info to dissect. Plus all the fun, excitement, and adventure ahead of them. I figure I have 15-20 more mobile season left in me as long as I keep myself in shape and I don’t plan on wasting a single moment of any of that time! Even on the back end of those 15 years I’ll relish and tip my hat to those doing what I once did.

Just like any fad, this one will fade over time. But it’s those of us that endure and truly love the work that will still be standing 20 years from now. I’m gratefully we will have a few more Beasts from this recent movement to call friends in this hardened and grueling game we all love to play.
PublicLand_HitMann
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 am

Not disagreeing with you and I feel like this topic is still being misunderstood. Public land hunting is great! Most content and products designed for the mobile hunter right now are great! All I am saying is that the old hunting industry is catching on to this new fad and as a result, I need to start applying a new level of caution. Some of the new podcasts and social media content I have been reviewing lately have me believing that people are trying to exploit this trend.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 am

NorthStar wrote:Not disagreeing with you and I feel like this topic is still being misunderstood. Public land hunting is great! Most content and products designed for the mobile hunter right now are great! All I am saying is that the old hunting industry is catching on to this new fad and as a result, I need to start applying a new level of caution. Some of the new podcasts and social media content I have been reviewing lately have me believing that people are trying to exploit this trend.

Absolutely. It's still pretty easy to separate the BS from the legitimate stuff though. I agree that people need to be aware.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:05 am

Dewey wrote:
NorthStar wrote:Not disagreeing with you and I feel like this topic is still being misunderstood. Public land hunting is great! Most content and products designed for the mobile hunter right now are great! All I am saying is that the old hunting industry is catching on to this new fad and as a result, I need to start applying a new level of caution. Some of the new podcasts and social media content I have been reviewing lately have me believing that people are trying to exploit this trend.

Absolutely. It's still pretty easy to separate the BS from the legitimate stuff though. I agree that people need to be aware.

Pretty easy to separate for those of us that have been at it for a long time. I worry that the newer hunters will fall victim to the “BS” being spewed by the mainstream hunting industry.
Nmann707

Unread postby Nmann707 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:17 am

I agree Northstar. I also agree it takes very little time to separate the BS and exploiters from the true grits. I am worried about the younger FB beasts. Seems like the FB page is getting polluted a bit with sales people, click seekers and self promoters. That’s why I’m jumping off FB and will stick to the forum. Seems to be a much more mature, experienced and cautionary crew here.
PublicLand_HitMann
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 am

Dewey wrote:

Both of these comments sum it up in my opinion. I’ve been following Dan’s content for a long time as many of you have. I credit him for this “revolution.” When I started following Dan’s content over 10 years ago, nobody else was talking about this hunting style. I honestly feel that most of the “new content” is a regurgitation of Dan’s tactics and principles. I’m not just trying to be a fanboy- I believe if there were a way to have a database you could track a trend in hunting content and there would be a positive relationship to how much mobile content is out there based on how much more Dan became known. Off topic- but that’s why I hope Dan reaps huge benefits off of the beast stand/ sticks. He has spent years giving this information away and I think many of us can say he has changed the way we enjoy our time outdoors.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:27 am

Mgaspari wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Pretty easy to separate for those of us that have been at it for a long time. I worry that the newer hunters will fall victim to the “BS” being spewed by the mainstream hunting industry.

The new people is who I am most worried about. I consider myself somewhat new and in hindsight, weeding through the BS hasn’t been all that difficult. But I think being a member of the Beast has helped tremendously with that.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:45 am

NorthStar wrote:The new people is who I am most worried about. I consider myself somewhat new and in hindsight, weeding through the BS hasn’t been all that difficult. But I think being a member of the Beast has helped tremendously with that.

Let's just say there is a big gap between talking the talk and walking the walk, unless you have prime land then it doesn't really matter. Most guys just can't hang and don't want to put in the work. Any newb can login and repeat everything they read here by applying it to the woods consistently is a different world, especially on public. From what I see in my little corner of the woods is overall hunter numbers dropping a bit, guys who use to hunt a fair bit don't hunt as much and the casual hunters seem to be more of the norm. That leaves a whole lot of space for guys on the beast to get after it. The other side is why worry about that you can't control, every now and then I run into a guy or a group focused on the same area as me. Knowing their pressure is around helps me, I can adjust my tactics to hunt around the pressure. Talked to a few guys last year and we were all kind of after the same two bucks working an area. The plan for next year is to focus more on early season when they aren't out in the woods as much or at all and maybe find some of those overlooked spots both of us were missing last year. Use other hunters to you advantage instead of thinking they might get the buck you are after.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”